Restaurants in Rome

danishbeauty2

Restaurants in Rome tend to cater to tourists. Food is not up to standards of food in other Italian cities with the exception of Venice. Rule of thumb is get away from tourist areas, find a restaurant that is full of locals, check the menu that is hanging outside the restaurant to see if you can afford it, if you can, go in.

If you like seafood, I suggest Ristorante Sa Tanca Crostaceria. A little on the expensive side, about USD$60pp for our seafood dinner, but we had a great time there. You can check it out on Tripadvisor also.

Some pictures here at the bottom of this page on my blog: http://chiumemories.blogspot.com/2012/09/last-day-in-rome.html

indeed a lot of restaurant in rome are for tourist but in principle the value for money is ok

fllwg are some of the restaurant I go when in rome for business with foreigner

" Checco er carrettiere" Via Benedetta 10 ( close to trilussa square in trastevere)

" Da Giovanni" via Salandra 1

" Da Peppone" Via Emilia 60

" Moro" Vico delle Bollete ( very close to Trevi fountain)

i would also suggest to seek advices from the hotel concierge

We stayed at the Westin Excelsior last year for 4 days. We ate at the hotel once, and it was okay, but a tad on the expensive side for what we got. Then we asked one of the bar waiters and he told us of a little place a couple of blocks away. It was a small family run place and the food was excellent. We ate there three nights in a row. Couldn't tell you exactly how to get there, but the point is, just experiment and see how many people are inside, what the menu posted outside looks like, etc.

Panzirone - in Piazza Navonna. Some will say do not eat in the tourist areas..... psssshh. Some of our best meals have been in tourist areas. But choose wisely. Their pumpkin soup is to die for as is the homemade ravioli (his mama makes it) and also had a wonderful stew one night. We plan to eat here again in October during our 3 night visit.

Ad Hoc - haven't eaten here yet, plan to try it in October. Reservations required tho and a bit pricey.

I don't bother asking the hotel desk clerk for recommendations anymore because it seems like they always recommend a very expensive restaurant (that happens to be owned by a friend of theirs.)

Ad Hoc - haven't eaten here yet, plan to try it in October. Reservations required tho and a bit pricey.

I was looking at Ad Hoc as a possibility for me in May. If I go, I'll try to remember to report back.

I'm also looking at 3 new (to me) restaurants in the vicinity of the Pantheon to try. I probably won't get to all of them, as I have a couple of "old favorites" that I must eat at too. :D

I was looking at Ad Hoc as a possibility for me in May. If I go, I'll try to remember to report back.

I'm also looking at 3 new (to me) restaurants in the vicinity of the Pantheon to try. I probably won't get to all of them, as I have a couple of "old favorites" that I must eat at too. :D

Cynthia, Oh yes, please do let me know how Ad Hoc is if you go !!!! I would really like to try their tasting menu with truffles ! YUM

Cynthia, would you please tell us the names of your "old favorites"? Curious minds want to know!

We'll also be in Rome for a few days in May and wouldn't mind a few recommendations. We usually try the "wander around and see what looks interesting" approach, but wouldn't mind some specific recs. :D

(p.s. Don't know if you remember us, but we shared a transfer with you and your mom from port to Rome in 2006.)

Hi Ellen, indeed I remember you -- as I recall, you were staying in an apartment near the Pantheon when we shared a ride in 2006 off the Princess "Egypt and the Aegean" cruise. :)

One favorite around the Pantheon area is La Pigna, which is tucked away not far from Santa Maria Sopre Minerva church. Really a great "neighborhood" eatery. I still recall the delicious pasta I had there with a wild boar sauce in November 2011. When I tried to stop by in 2012, they seemed to be closed, but I've since heard they are open again.

For a bit of a splurge, my favorite is Piperno, in the old Jewish Ghetto. I have never had a better version of the classic Roman appetizer of fried artichokes (carciofi alla giuda, which as the name implies are traditionally thought to be a Jewish specialty brought to Rome thousands of years ago.)

Near the Forum and Colosseum is another favorite that gets a fair amount of mentions: La Taverna dei Fori Imperiali. Again, it's a homey place, but the food represents the best versions of the Italian classics.

Finally, also near the Forum area is a wine bar I really like: Cavour 313. I haven't been there in a couple of years. I think Rick Steves recommends it and I hope it hasn't ruined the ambiance. It's a nice place for a lighter meal or snack with a glass or two of wine.

With all of the restaurants mentioned above (and any others), I really urge diners to pay attention to the daily specials. These are often the tastiest, freshest offerings and are also usually a good deal.

We are staying in Rome for 2 days both pre and post cruise so those restaurant recommendations are great!

We like both scales of food, both upscale and homely cooking. I have heard of Ad Hoc from Trip Advisor so may give that one a try as we ate at a 2 star Michelin restaurant for my birthday and need something to compare it with! :)

There's nothing like a great pizza but strangely enough finding great food in Italy has been a bit of a challenge and I love Italian food! :rolleyes:

We also have had mediocre food on multiple trips to Rome, but we do have one favorite: Alla Rampa, which is behind the Spanish Steps, to the right as you face them. Oddly, given the location, it seems to be mostly locals, mainly businessmen.

My very favorite is a pasta dish of pears, gorgonzola, and walnuts--yum! They also have an antipasto bar that DH loves--you just select what you want and pile up your plate for a fixed price. But the main attraction is a dessert we love, a vanilla gelato with an incredible orange sauce laced with orange peel and orange liqueur--wow!!! We have tried to recreate it at home, and gotten close, but there is nothing like the real thing!

but the main attraction is a dessert we love, a vanilla gelato with an incredible orange sauce laced with orange peel and orange liqueur--wow!!! We have tried to recreate it at home, and gotten close, but there is nothing like the real thing!

yum !

yum !

The funny thing about it is that we almost never order desserts, especially at lunch. So when the waiter came by and DH pointed across the room and said, "I'll have what they're having!" I was surprised. Turns out from where he was sitting, he could see two businessmen obviously relishing their dessert to the very last drop! Having no idea what it was, and not understanding the description in Italian, we were delighted with the final product!! Been back several times since to enjoy it again. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

We stayed in Rome last summer for 4 nights. My favorite was the Ristorante alle Due Colonne. It also went by the name Da Donato. It was located on a narrow block close to the Pantheon. It wasn't a tourist trap the food was great and inexpensive too.

Archived