Thank goodness for our ship's facial recognition software

imouer

I wanted to share a story about a time when my 16 year daughter lost track of time and stayed out WAY too late on the Dream. I woke up at 2 AM and she wasn't back. I took a walk around the ship looking for her and at first I was just annoyed, after an hour I was in a full panic. I finally broke down and asked a security member for help. He asked for her name and room number, got on his radio, and they pulled up her pic and sent it to all the staff right away. They were then able to use their computer which matched up her face with one in the teen lounge automatically where she was talking to her new friends (all night). Within 3 mins of my asking for help they had located her and took me to there where they helped me put the fear of God in her. They were very serious and professional in there effort to find her as they snapped into action. This was on the dream last year, not all ships have this technology I am told but I can tell you what ship we are taking this year! Dont do what I did and wait until you are in a panic, ask the staff for help, they were wonderful!

I have been in the panic you speak of but it was on HAL... We found her soon after my panic, she was back in the cabin :D

Its great to hear that the crew was quick to act and with such quick results.

Enjoy your cruise this year stress free and without panic. :)

Security is good in these situations, though they only had a printout. They ALL seemed to have the printout. DDtheOlder had the same talk by security. She was talking with a friend on the small deck outside the pizza station on the Paradise. Never did that again.

If she lost track of time, buy her a cheap watch and insist she wear it at all times next cruise.

That's what I do - I never wear a watch in real life - no need to, I have cell phone and computers while at work, clock in car and on TV when I'm home. This was great that they could do this so easily - what great technology!

SO glad to know of this. My daughter is 20 now but i had one night a few years back where i was out walking the ship.... was ready to kill her! FINALLY found her with another girl eating pizza in the gatsby garden.... Nice to know they have that on some ships... Thanks for sharing!

Funny related story, we were cruising on the Sensation years ago out of Tampa during spring break, just my boyfriend and me. At around 2 in the morning someone is knocking on our cabin door. I asked thru the door who it was and got the answer "Ship Security". I opened the door and 2 security guys with a very young looking teenage girl were standing there. The Security guy starts with "Mam we found you daughter with several other teenagers.....and he must have seen the look on my face because he stopped. "this is your daughter right?" The girl was looking like she was going to pee her pants about then. I said sorry no, we were not traveling with our children. The girl about then broke down and admitted she had lied about the cabin number. The guards apologized and took off, my boyfriend was rolling around on the bed laughing his butt off. The next day on deck, a lady approched me with the same girl and had her apolgize for waking us up in the middle of the night. We really thought is was funny at the time. But I am sure her parents were not too happy with her. Also later I kind of wondered why the guards did not ask to see her cruise card. :rolleyes:

Funny related story, we were cruising on the Sensation years ago out of Tampa during spring break, just my boyfriend and me. At around 2 in the morning someone is knocking on our cabin door. I asked thru the door who it was and got the answer "Ship Security". I opened the door and 2 security guys with a very young looking teenage girl were standing there. The Security guy starts with "Mam we found you daughter with several other teenagers.....and he must have seen the look on my face because he stopped. "this is your daughter right?" The girl was looking like she was going to pee her pants about then. I said sorry no, we were not traveling with our children. The girl about then broke down and admitted she had lied about the cabin number. The guards apologized and took off, my boyfriend was rolling around on the bed laughing his butt off. The next day on deck, a lady approched me with the same girl and had her apolgize for waking us up in the middle of the night. We really thought is was funny at the time. But I am sure her parents were not too happy with her. Also later I kind of wondered why the guards did not ask to see her cruise card. :rolleyes:

This is so funny because I did this in high school!!! lol!! Not on a cruise ship- I snuck out one night with friends and police picked us up and I gave them the wrong adress. I naively thought they might just drop me off and I could walk the block to my house...lol Instead they walked me to the door and I let them rang the bell and everything, lol!!The lady looked so confused standing there in her houserobe and slippers...lolol

I wanted to share a story about a time when my 16 year daughter lost track of time and stayed out WAY too late on the Dream. I woke up at 2 AM and she wasn't back. I took a walk around the ship looking for her and at first I was just annoyed, after an hour I was in a full panic. I finally broke down and asked a security member for help. He asked for her name and room number, got on his radio, and they pulled up her pic and sent it to all the staff right away. They were then able to use their computer which matched up her face with one in the teen lounge automatically where she was talking to her new friends (all night). Within 3 mins of my asking for help they had located her and took me to there where they helped me put the fear of God in her. They were very serious and professional in there effort to find her as they snapped into action. This was on the dream last year, not all ships have this technology I am told but I can tell you what ship we are taking this year! Dont do what I did and wait until you are in a panic, ask the staff for help, they were wonderful!

Most other cruise lines have curfews for unaccompanied minors and the "teen" lounge would have been closed long before 2am!

On our first cruise my DS was 17 and full of that male teen angst. We made it until St. Thomas before he had a my parents suck meltdown and took off. We had no idea where he was and I was worried he would try and leave the ship to walk it off. One call to security and we were told he had not left the ship and we were able to put a block on him being allowed off the ship. I didn't bother looking for him further. He came back once he had calmed down and in the meantime DH and I took an hour or so to visit a few shops at Havensight. My mother in law was on board so an adult was still around.

Most other cruise lines have curfews for unaccompanied minors and the "teen" lounge would have been closed long before 2am!

They really need to do this on Carnival I think... While I was walking around the deck I sound several kids in dark corners fooling around..... Ah to be young again :p

You probably just made thousands of parents relax knowing this technology might be on the ship they will be cruising on.

Yes and you can put those kids on notice too that big brother is watching them with hidden camras everywhere and KNOWS who and where they are at all times (like Santa Clause) and its all true!

Also later I kind of wondered why the guards did not ask to see her cruise card. :rolleyes:

I'm sure they did and I'm sure she lied and said she didn't have it -;). They probably made her as soon as your door closed. OP, you should post this story on the family board, you could provide a lot of reassurance for worried parents

Sounds like they panicked and started checking for her. Glad everything worked out. If they really had facial recognition software I would be confused for a Sasquatch. Lol.

Oh they REALLY have it (on the Dream at least) They know where everyone is at all times.

I'm a parent and I've been an adventurous, rulebreaking young adult and I can understand the OP's relief- but doesn't anyone else find this creepy and reeking of Big Brother?

Another reason DH and I have booked our second cruise on a 78-passenger ship. They take your picture as soon as you board, not so they can sell you a copy, but so the crew can all learn the names of the passengers. There were quite a few adolescents on board and their parents never had to look too hard to find them!

I'm a parent and I've been an adventurous, rulebreaking young adult and I can understand the OP's relief- but doesn't anyone else find this creepy and reeking of Big Brother?

Another reason DH and I have booked our second cruise on a 78-passenger ship. They take your picture as soon as you board, not so they can sell you a copy, but so the crew can all learn the names of the passengers. There were quite a few adolescents on board and their parents never had to look too hard to find them!

ummm no. In the age of terrorist and such... I think its great

Archived