Working up to 5K and keeping it interesting

fuelerdude

I have many reasons to wish to loose before I cruise. To be honest, looking good for the beach is lower on the list for me. Primaraly, it is so I do not wind up with the same health issues as my father as well as being there (and not a burden) to my family.

Thankfully, the gym is pretty much on the way home from work and I have access to 35 miles of walking/running/biking paths right at the end of my street (and over the pedestrian bridge.).

Well to get on to my point, how many have gone to running a 5k 3-5 times a week from being a couch potato? I have been walking mixed with jogging for a couple of weeks now and feel it is time to start one of the 8 week programs. The challenge I can see for myself is keeping it interesting and comfortable (The weather here..... well is nice 2 months out of the year (either cold or hot the rest of the time.). Any suggestions?

Well to get on to my point, how many have gone to running a 5k 3-5 times a week from being a couch potato? I have been walking mixed with jogging for a couple of weeks now and feel it is time to start one of the 8 week programs. The challenge I can see for myself is keeping it interesting and comfortable (The weather here..... well is nice 2 months out of the year (either cold or hot the rest of the time.). Any suggestions?

Hi Fuelerdude. Started running for the same reason you stated...to do something! I started with the coach to 5K. I actually worked my way up to running a half marathon. but then after the half marathon I started slacking and now i'm back to the beginning....starting with the coach to 5K (if you are not consistent you lose it quick!). Anyway, I find the best way to make sure you stay with it is to find a 5K run and sign up for it. That way, after you have actually paid $ to do it you will more likely stick with it. At least it works for me. Plus after you run your first 5K you'll want to do another one to beat your time! Good Luck :)

Hey Fuelerdude. I completely relate to your concerns about Kansas weather! I lived there from 1999 to 2004. In Wichita and then in Lenexa. My son was born in Wichita. Literally...there are only a couple months of weather that is more comfortable and usually the wind is blowing, no matter what...

I recommend that you invest in some good technical clothing that is made to deal with the elements. It really is more comfortable to wear wicking fabrics, not cotton t-shirts... This is the equivalent of having the proper tools for the job... Same with a good pair of shoes. And especially SOCKS. As weird as that sounds...having great socks can make all the difference in the world in how you feel putting on your walking shoes and hitting the trail. If you aren't aware, there are several different brands of socks specifically made with extra cushioning for walking or running...and fabric that wicks. It's like getting a uniform...there's something about the mindset of dressing with purpose (not just in old clothes that you don't mind getting sweaty in) that can be very satisfying. Especially if you have any other constraints in your regular method of dress (work, etc.)...you can have a lot of fun with color and/or style with all the different workout clothes that are out there.

I don't know if you enjoy music... I do. Music can definitely keep it interesting and it can be motivating. And it can keep you on track while you are walking/jogging if you have the proper beats per minute (BPM) and keep the beat. You can do one of two things...You can purchase something from a place like this:

http://www.yesfitnessmusic.com/#/store/home

or, you can use a free music editing program like Audacity to edit any music you already own to your preferred BPM. I often edit popular music that I use in warm ups for my Zumba classes. It isn't difficult to do and if you can figure it out, then you can keep editing your music to update the BPM as you improve.

If you don't already own a portable music device, I would recommend that you check out a local Game Stop. They sell used ones at a reasonable price. You can get an inexpensive one with a guarantee to work for a limited time.

If you don't already have a pedometer...consider it. My DH's work has a program that is related to health insurance that provides us with a pedometer and offers incentives for achieving different levels. It can be motivating to see your daily steps. This would be a good way for you to measure progress and set up your own reward levels. This can be another way to keep it interesting...and figuring out your own personal non-food related rewards can really keep you going. Even without the pedometer...you can reward yourself for doing the program and pick different milestones for a reward.

Rewards are very important. You want to do something memorable to mark your progress. Recognize your efforts. It is an effort and it is worthy of recognition. Good rewards are things that remind you of how you are becoming further and further removed from the person that started the program, the one that sat on the couch. A fancy blender for making post-workout smoothies. A Camelback brand backpack (there is a built in water pouch and a long straw-like tube that you drink from). Whatever helps you identify more and more with becoming a person that runs 5Ks. Whatever image you conjure regarding that association...find the accessories that person owns/uses and start to build your collection through a reward system as you become that person.

Another way to help is to get a partner that is as committed as you are.

And also pick your race...if you haven't already...this is a good source:

http://www.runningintheusa.com/Race/List.aspx?State=KS

I have proper shorts and shirs for working out.....I've always been hit and miss on it. They have made working out much more comfortable.

It is definately rare for the wind to not be blowing here. If we do have a day where it is calm, the next day will make up for it with steady 20mph winds gusting to 35mph, lol.

So far what has helped me out is thinking of keeping DW from having to care for me like DM does DD, but I need more ammo than that. I think signing up for a 5k is an excellent idea. I do not like to waste $$ and having money invested in something would help ensure follow through.

I have gone from just walking 3 miles in a day to running/walking 5 miles and walking and additional 3. My fat jeans (At least this guy calls them that, lol.) are starting to no longer feel tight while sitting once more. I still have a pair of 30 waist jeans from 10 years (and 50 pounds) ago I want to get back into......I felt great back then!

Time to look at the link:D

I just discovered we have a couple of new stores which just opened speciffically for runners, or those wishing to learn to run. For a fee, they will determine profile of feet, determine gait while running, give coaching, and they have bi-weekly runs and weekly seminars. $100 of the $125 fee is able to be applied towards purchase of shoes as well.

I am going to check the store out tomorrow. This is going to be great as I am someone who is typically socially akward when it comes to new groups(people). I beleive it will easier to fit in and partner up with others to kick me in the posterior when needed.:D

I always end up weighing around 190 after the holidays. For the last 5 years I have booked a cruise at the end of March. I try to lose 15 pounds before each cruise - that's just over 1 pound per week. I run/walk/elliptical 9 miles each week and eat normal meals. I mix up the running with the eliptical and walking. I even sub biking in, but I count bike miles at 50%.

Over the last 5 years, my stamina has increased from only being able to run a half mile without stopping at 6.0 MPH to 5 miles without stopping at 6.4 MPH. Where my heart/lungs used to be the limiting factor, my shins are now the weak link.

• 4 weeks later...

I am able to do a 5k in 30 minutes now. I was at a 5k in 48 minutes when I first started.

This is the program I am using http://www.runningplanet.com/training/easy-5K-treadmill-training-plan.html

It was fairly easy until the middle of week 4. That is when I started saying "This program is the DEVIL!" :eek:. It has helped me tremendously. I haven't signed up for any 5k races as of yet, mainly due to my uncertainty as to whether or not I'd be ready, as well as figuring when would be best weather wise.

Doing the runs on the treadmill can be quite tedious, but it does help to push me in maintaining speed as well as being able to increase speed for the next time. I am up to running 7.3 mph for 5 minutes, walking 4.1mph for 2, and back to running.

I have lost 19.4 pounds since starting about 6 weeks ago. It's came off quickly at first, but has settled into a healthier and more normal range now.

I have also been using www.myfitnesspal.com to track what I eat, look for answers, as well as found others who face similar challenges as what I do(Hypothyroidism). It's a great support network there.

Well I hope this can help others on here, and now back to my rest day of watching TBL as well as playing the Wii Fit.

Way to go Fuelerdude! Great goals for fitness!

I just started doing couch to 5K with my son who is 8 to encourage him to run (I do other runs - but do this 3 days a week for torture...um, I mean special mother/son bonding time).

We have been mixing up the routes to keep it interesting. Yesterday we did a hills only interval run, today we are doing a beach run. We change the music around for most runs as well. There are podcasts for running from itunes - those are free. In the US, we used the iphone app for Pandora - which has several playlists for working out - but internet connections are sparse where we are now so we use premade playlists from itunes or podcasts. I also use the couch to 5K free iphone app as my son loves listening to the countdowns and encouragement from the electronic folks inside the phone :D Our goal is to do a made-up 5K for his birthday next month.

Doing it with others keeps me going as well - Good Luck!!

I lived in Missouri for 3 years - sympathizing with your weather conundrum. In the summer, we just went very early so as not to melt. ;)

• 1 month later...

Archived