Viator Jost Van Dyk--any reviews???

Jadehenry

Hello all, after I had finally decided on what to do in Tortola, our March 16 Carnival Breeze tour to Jost Van Dyk already sold out! I would still like to go there but we have a small group (3) who only wants to use the beach, and I'm not very comfortable using taxis and ferries with a port time of 8-3:30. I see that Viator.com has a similar excursion and I'm wondering if anyone has used them, and who their subcontract tour company is. I know that Viator has a guarantee that we'll get back to the ship on time, but I don't want a stressful situation waiting for them at the port wondering if they'll show up.

I would also consider taking a taxi to a beach, but from what I've read, the least "exciting" drive would be to Cane Garden Bay, which I know is crowded.

Any help would be appreciated!

I can't help with the Viator question, but regarding the beaches the drive to CGB can be very "exciting" or very easy depending on the route taken. The steepest section is the drive down into the bay. The road to Long Bay is not bad, and to Smuggler's just past LB it's just unpaved and rough but passable. So if it becomes a beach day don't worry, most are easily accessible without a scary ride.

Many ship excursions depart right from Red Hook and avoid the taxi to West End and that's a great option. If you want Josts for a day I would book this on the cruise line site before the sail date (as early as possible) because these are usually filled up prior to sailing.

Thanks for the responses so far, everyone!

I was hoping to do Carnival's excursion to Jost, but it has sold out already for the March 16 sailing. I did hear that they may have some spots available to book onboard, so I'm thinking of taking my chances with that rather than booking with an outside tour company (Viator, etc.) since I haven't read many positive reviews of any of them except the ones who do mostly snorkeling trips. I really just want a nice beach experience, so if we can't do the ship's excursion, I'll trust Blue_Water and take a taxi to one of them!:)

Many ppl go to Josts on their own and have the best day of their cruise. If not using a tour operator there are 2 choices. The more typical option is a taxi to the West End ferry (Sopers Hole), the ferry to Great Harbor, Josts, and a taxi to White Bay. Estimating 1.5 hrs each way to get to White Bay, total cost around $70pp roundtrip for 2ppl, a few $ less pp for 3 or more ppl.

The day of the week also determines the ferry you'll take, weekdays the ferry departs WE at 8 & 10, weekends 9 &10. The return times from Great Harbor are noon, 2 and 5PM.

The other option is a taxi to Cane Garden Bay and hiring a water taxi there, depends on what is available when you arrive so not as reliable unless you can contact an operator and schedule it. But the cost would probably be comparable at least for 4 or more ppl, and you would be dropped right in White Bay.

Archived