Very Poor Response and Customer Service From Carnival. Please read..

Arcticcat

If you do this .....all you will get is .....two ships that severely damage each other ......while they bang into each other and scrape against each other .......while not transferring anyone.

OK, then they can just put some tires between the ships. They do that all the time when the ship is in port, right?

Then of course the passengers will not be able to walk over. So we can ask younger passengers do the long jump. For the rest passengers, we can tie the bed sheet to their arms and let them glide over. Simple and fun.

I don't know if this point was made or not about getting the passenegers off the ship while it was stranded. At first it had been reported that the ship would be towed into Progresso Mexico and Carnival would fly all them back to New Orleans on chartered planes. Big problem there, you can't fly into US from a foreign nation without a passport. I would bet that 75% on that ship did not carry a passport.

I also wondered why they couldn't transfer people to their other ships that brought supplies out to them.. The Legend and the Elation...it did not occur to me the danger involved just the legalities might be involved.

If I recall correctly, the same thing happened when the Splendor had their fire. people who were booked on other cruises wanted to cancel and get refunded. Then it was a no go unless you had been booked on the Splendor and it is a no go now.

Go on your cruise, enjoy it. Odds are in your favor that nothing like this will happen on your cruises.

No way would 150 average-sized Americans fit into a 150person lifeboat.

Europeans maybe, but definitely not the average American. My last Carnival cruise there were people at my muster station who were most definitely bigger then 2 or 3 seats could handle. At least a dozen that size.

Well like some people have said people are killed or injured while transfer from one ship to another every year. My dad has worked as a Merchant Marine captain for nearly 39 years. He has known people to be killed while going to the tug to a barge or pilot boat to the ship. My hubbies granddad was injured going from a pilot boat to a ship in Tampa Bay years ago. Was in a coma for 3 months. That fall ended his career. These where "professional" sailors. Now talk about moving 3000 people that most have never done such a thing in the "open" ocean. While we where cruising on Royal Caribbean they stopped tendering due to unsafe conditions in Grand Cayman.

The life boats are for when the boat is sinking.....

1. I think it's ironic that when people complain, "Oh, we missed this port because of rough weather," posters on Cruise Critic respond with, "Well, that's how it goes sometimes. The captain/crew have to make that call due to safety of passengers." But when the same kind of call is made in OPEN WATER, somehow, some people are AGHAST that it couldn't magically be done. Missing a port -- OK, that's fine. Open water -- not OK, should have been done. How does that make sense???? Passengers don't ALWAYS have the expertise, knowledge or experience to know the best course of action -- no matter HOW many cruises they've been on.

2. You want a refund for a future trip on a different ship? Can you imagine what would happen to Carnival (or ANY cruise line, for that matter), if all of us with upcoming cruises said that? EVERYONE would be calling Carnival up and saying, "I don't want to go, I want my money back." That's just plain ludicrous. I can understand people's hesitation to go on the Triumph when it's finally back up and running, but to get/expect/demand a refund for Triumph or other ships sometime in the future? That's just crazy. If you don't want to run any risk, don't ever leave your house. Ever. Oh wait, you could get hurt at home, too. Uh-oh. Guess you're stuck with what's called LIFE.

When we were on the legend we tendered in grand cayman. When we were reboarding the ship there were small waves. The tender boat kept banging into the side of the ship. It repeatedly knocked people off their feet. And they were very small waves. I can't imagine taking 3000 people off a unstable ship.

I think you decided you don't want to go and just want your money back and are using this incident as an excuse. I don't believe they should refund you anything. Your ships aren't impacted by this situation.

Last year (2012) while tendering in Belize, I sustained a "cruise injury". The seas were extremely rough getting back to the ship. We all had trouble even getting to the exit of the tender unto the ship. The two guys onboard the ship pulled me so hard that I had a problem the next day if I took a deep breath.

When I returned home 3 days later, I went to the chiropractor and xrays showed that I had 2 ribs slightly out of alignment.

It certainly was not the two CCL employees fault. They had to get me onto the ship, and the tender was bouncing up and down.

The OP jumped on our Triumph March 30th roll call yesterday and began spewing his speculations and absurd ideas. He was not even booked on our cruise. He proceeded to post his rhetoric about how horrible life must be for the passengers and how Carnival was doing nothing for them. When I and another member of the roll call told him we were not interested in his ideas of how things should have been done and very nicely asked him to vacate our roll call he all but wished us the same scenario that is upon the current Triumph passengers. He was quick to come back and post a snarky comment once our cruise date was canceled. All I can say to him now is that I was able to get my money refunded w no penalties and a 25% discount on my next cruise :p

Haha! Good for you! I'm so glad you were able to get another cruise lined up right away. Enjoy your time with your son.

Just got off the phone with Carnival. I called inquiring about cancelling our two cruises that are fully paid for. Wanted to know what our options were.

Due to the Triumph issues I agree accidents happen, but DON"T agree with the way they handled it. They could of brought another ship out there to get the passangers off.

So I called to see what Carnivals attitude towards upcoming passengers. Its not good.

If you paid for your cruise they are NOT offering refunds. Its a Triumph issue not a Victory or a Liberty issue is there response.

I was told as far as compensation to future passengers, there has not been any brought out to this point.

So in a nutshell, if your unsure about the cruiseline or have concerns about the response, your SOL.

Im booked in two weeks on the Victory then right after on the Liberty. They don't care about loyalty, they just want the money!:(

Huh? Send another ship? Pray tell, where is this empty ship?

Of course they won't refund your money after the final date. They would end up selling the cabin at a loss. That cost will end up being transferred to the consumer.

You are, IMO, being unreasonable in your expectations.

IS THE ORIGINAL POSTER JOKING>

Empty a ship. Full speed ahead to the Western Caribbean. Drop lifeboats, fill life boats from an unsecured ship, that is listing, that is rolling with the waves, bobbing with the sea chop.

Gotta be kidding.....this reminds me of folks that think UFO's are amoungst us.

So many of the recommneded solutions rival the misinformed information that came from the media (note, I did not call them the press...that implies competancy)

Due to the Triumph issues I agree accidents happen, but DON"T agree with the way they handled it. They could of brought another ship out there to get the passangers off.:(

How do you move passengers from one ship to another.

I forgot what you call it but using a robe across both ship is extremely dangerous. In my Navy days I have seen this and swore I would never do it.

Using lfe boats is also very dangerouse and the LAST thing any ship will do when in trouble.

Then moving passenger to other ships would increase the number of passenger on those ships in violation of maritime law as they would not have sufficient life boats to accomobndate the number.

Although I am not a Carnival fan nut they did the only thing they could do for the safety of passengers.

Just got off the phone with Carnival. I called inquiring about cancelling our two cruises that are fully paid for. Wanted to know what our options were.

Due to the Triumph issues I agree accidents happen, but DON"T agree with the way they handled it. They could of brought another ship out there to get the passangers off.

So I called to see what Carnivals attitude towards upcoming passengers. Its not good.

If you paid for your cruise they are NOT offering refunds. Its a Triumph issue not a Victory or a Liberty issue is there response.

I was told as far as compensation to future passengers, there has not been any brought out to this point.

So in a nutshell, if your unsure about the cruiseline or have concerns about the response, your SOL.

Im booked in two weeks on the Victory then right after on the Liberty. They don't care about loyalty, they just want the money!:(

you really have no idea what you talking about. you look like a fool. you can't transfer 4000 people in the open ocean. when they tender they do so in calm seas with a ship that has its thrusters working, and it stabilizers working. tendering is very labor intensive. the ship may seem stationary but its consantly in motion. this is in calm seas with no current.

My wife and 3 of her girlfriends were scheduled on the Triumph on Feb 21 for their annual "Girl's Weekend".

Once they recieved their cancellation email, my wife called our PVP and had rebooked on the Triumph for May 2. Whole process took about 10 minutes. With the discount, they went from Deck 2 inside cabin to Deck 9 Balcony. They are happy campers. I suggested that they look at the Elation out of NO, but its their trip, I let them handle it.

Their attitude is easy going. If Carnival cancels the May 2 booking, they will just move it further out - not the end of the world.

Absurd? They CAN anchor (manually), they tender all the time, transfer ship to ship! Wow must be lots of Carnival staff on here!!!

BTW when they offer a OBC to currently booked passengers, make sure you don't use it, as your not entitled to it LMAO

As another poster pointed out....there is a HUGE difference between anchoring and tendering in a protected harbor and having to do it at sea from a boat that is listing with no power. Read the last "fact" on this link about harbor pilots being killed transferring from one boat to another.

http://www.floridapilots.com/wordpress/?page_id=47

And these are guys that do it ALL the time......

Has nothing to do with me....... I spent good money on two cruises back to back. If Carnival is a bad company for neglecting basic needs for people, then I have THE RIGHT to request a refund... This is 2012. There is other options to get that ship to a shore so passengers can transfer to another boat. It costs $$$$$ Thats what this is all about. So ya it does affect me, cause if it happens on either one of my cruises, you clowns will come back and say, you knew what you were getting into or it was your decision. Yes it is my decision, and if I lost confidence in the company thats my decision. Ya they won't refund my money..... Who cares. Thats a drop in the bucket. You pro Carnival lovers, they can do no wrong and heaven forbid a poster dosn't agree with you, you all gang up on him like a old boys club. You know what site this is? Cruise CRITIC. It means to criticise. That is what im doing. But you can't take ciriticism, so best you leave to another site...

People throw around the words "I have the right" way too much. Not sure what it means in this context.

Sure, you have the "right", I suppose, to ask for a refund.... actually, no... you have no such "right", but you can do it. Carnival, however, based on the contract, has a "right" to say "no". You signed a contract, and you are bound by it.

I suppose you can clog up the court system, not take the cruise, and sue. Of course, you will lose. You have lost confidence, but, Carnival can make a compelling case: it sends out how many ships, over how many years, and the VAST majority of them have no significant problems.

As for the "Carnival lovers", you will see that my last cruise and my next two cruises are not with Carnival. You are barking up the wrong tree, there.

I am thinking about cancelling my next three Carnival Cruises because of everything I have heard on CNN, MSNBC, and Fox News. Fortunately I haven't booked them yet, so I don't think I will lose any money on the trips. And it is still GW's fault, not just the last five years. I am sorry, I just couldn't resist.

I'm with you!! In addition to not booking any future cruises, I want compensation for those future cruises that I did not book because of how Carnival handled this incident.

Like Artic said, it's all about customer service! I prefer cash.

My is husband is currently on his 7th deployment to the middle east since 911 (21 year Marine)..He does not say much very quiet... but when he read the articles about the passengers on the Triumph he just laughed. He said no one should have to spend their vacation like this..but pain and suffering really! I guess it is all relative...

The OP jumped on our Triumph March 30th roll call yesterday and began spewing his speculations and absurd ideas. He was not even booked on our cruise. He proceeded to post his rhetoric about how horrible life must be for the passengers and how Carnival was doing nothing for them. When I and another member of the roll call told him we were not interested in his ideas of how things should have been done and very nicely asked him to vacate our roll call he all but wished us the same scenario that is upon the current Triumph passengers. He was quick to come back and post a snarky comment once our cruise date was canceled. All I can say to him now is that I was able to get my money refunded w no penalties and a 25% discount on my next cruise :p

Bwahaha...That is awesome!

I keep thinking back to the safety briefing I got the first time I went river rafting:

"The three safest places you can be today is 1. In the boat 2. In the boat 3. In the boat."

When you have a ship that has no propulsion and no stabilization, would you risk trying to move 3,000 passengers from one side to the other? Tendering can be scary enough on a working ship, much less one that's adrift.

As much as it sucks to be on there (and I would not trade places with any of them), from a risk management standpoint, the passengers are safer aboard the disabled ship than they are trying to leave it in open water. You think they're having a PR nightmare now, imagine what would happen in an accident during a rescue.

But everyone's an expert on the internet, so ***DIK?

Very well put ! ! !

Had there been another EMPTY cruise ship, I sure there could have possibly been a way to anchor and tie the ships together well enough to effect a transfer. However, most all cruise ships are sailing near full at this time so I don't see how this could have been a reasonable approach. To send an empty ship would be to cancel at least one fully booked cruise if there was a ship already in port or cutting short a cruise and cancelling the next trip. This doubles the number upset customers: 3,500 from the Triumph and another 3,500 from the ship that gets dispatched to rescue the Triumph.

Now they did reroute one or two ships temporarily to drop off additional supplies according to one news source I read. So as uncomfortable as the incident was, it seems that they covered about every reasonable approach to resolution.

The reports I read stated that the ship became disabled 190 miles off the coast of the Yucatan Peninsula. From an incident management standpoint, the passengers, in spite of the biohazard conditions, are still safer to be sheltered in place on the ship than trying to tender to a port 190 miles away.

http://luv2cruise.blogspot.com

Archived