International drivers license required for Canadians in florida

mcgratru

This law would make sense if Canadians drove on the left side of the road, stooped on green and go on red, and allowed their drivers to go 200mph on their highways.

I drive on the "wrong" side of the road (at a little less than 200mph!), and for me an International Driver's License just means spending $20 to print out another bit of paper. It's not going to magically bestow me with a knowledge of US driving laws - I'll still have to look those up for myself before traveling.

http://www.aaireland.ie/AA/Motoring-advice/Driving-in-Europe/International-driving-permit.aspx

Insurance companies make it their business to deny claims all the time. This is from the Toronto Star:

“We continue to have concerns about insurance coverage issue in Florida, because for the time being the law states that without an international driver’s permit that you do not have a valid driver’s licence. We’ve heard conflicting signals from the industry on whether they’d honour policies or not,” said CAA spokesperson Ian Jack.

This is the whole article http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/02/14/floridas_international_drivers_licence_rule_leaves_canadians_fuming.html

Also, from the same article:

The Florida Highway Patrol is not enforcing the law and says you’re fine with your valid Canadian licence. The CAA is working to find out whether the same applies to local police forces. If not, it’s possible you could be arrested for driving without a valid licence.

Hopefully they will work it out sooner rather than later but it might not be until July 1st. I read this date somewhere today but can't remember which paper The Star or The National Post

I am lawyer. Not having am IDP license will not void the insurance in the US and its US law that will govern not Canadian. It where the accident happens that matters. People drive without any license all the time. Its not even an issue in determining if the accident was the person's fault. The public policy is meant to protect the injured not the insurance company. Heck in every accident someone is generally violating the law(illegal turn speeding following too closely etc) so a mere violation of law is not going to void the insurance. There is one exception that of drunk driving, other than that the one major issue for insurance was if the person was driving with the owners permission-not if they had an idp.

Florida charges among the highest tax rates for car rentals and other things tourist pay for making one hell of a lot more money on rentals that issuing tickets for something so stupid. Again another example of Florida idiocy.

http://www.conventioncentertaskforce.org/resources/meetingdocs/7-21-09%20NBTA%20Executive%20Summary-Taxes%20of%20Travelers%20in%20the%20Top%2050%20U.S.%20Cities.pdf

I would not listen to anything CAA has to say about this they have a built in bias.

I am lawyer. Not having am IDP license will not void the insurance in the US and its US law that will govern not Canadian. It where the accident happens that matters. People drive without any license all the time. Its not even an issue in determining if the accident was the person's fault. The public policy is meant to protect the injured not the insurance company. Heck in every accident someone is generally violating the law(illegal turn speeding following too closely etc) so a mere violation of law is not going to void the insurance. There is one exception that of drunk driving, other than that the one major issue for insurance was if the person was driving with the owners permission-not if they had an idp.

Florida charges among the highest tax rates for car rentals and other things tourist pay for making one hell of a lot more money on rentals that issuing tickets for something so stupid. Again another example of Florida idiocy.

http://www.conventioncentertaskforce.org/resources/meetingdocs/7-21-09%20NBTA%20Executive%20Summary-Taxes%20of%20Travelers%20in%20the%20Top%2050%20U.S.%20Cities.pdf

I would not listen to anything CAA has to say about this they have a built in bias.

With all due respect you are an American this law does not effect you so why the concern? If Canadians are willing, happily or not, to pay the fee that is the individuals concern.

We drive our own car so we are subject to what our Canadian insurance company may cover and may decide to play hard ball with and void. We have three drivers but really only one person drives at a time. Likely we will just purchase for one driver and that person will drive in Florida.

Hopefully it will be repealed before we travel to Florida but if not it is just an added expense of travel.

With all due respect you are an American this law does not effect you so why the concern? If Canadians are willing, happily or not, to pay the fee that is the individuals concern.

We drive our own car so we are subject to what our Canadian insurance company may cover and may decide to play hard ball with and void. We have three drivers but really only one person drives at a time. Likely we will just purchase for one driver and that person will drive in Florida.

Hopefully it will be repealed before we travel to Florida but if not it is just an added expense of travel.

because its wrong and the people making statements don't know. Just as you are entitled to your opinion, I am entitled to post the facts. You can do whatever you want but saying its not my concern is just wrong. I am concerned for my fellow North Americans and your attitude that is not my concern so stick it.stinks. IMO. BTW read your insurance contract it says that it will comport to the locality where the accident happens and the Canadian driving in the US is not unlicensed he/she is merely driving without an IDP. an IDP is useless almost everywhere.

one more piece of advise...call you insurance company and ask them not CAA!

Thank you for your input. I am not Canadian, but from the Caribbean.

It is practically impossible to get an International Drivers license where I live, so I'm happy with your post.

Thanks for your input Sid. And I will agree that CAA and AAA have their own agendas.

Personally I hope that no other State decides this is a good idea. In the meantime, I will just assume that Floridians do not want us Canadians there and choose different ports if I wish to drive. I would have to assume that the other 49 States do wish for us to spend our money there.

I contacted Avis Car Rental regarding my reservation in Ft. Lauderdale for March Break. They have advised that as the Florida Highway Patrol has deferred enforcement of the law, at the time of rental I will only need to show a driver's license from my country of residence along with a valid credit card.

If you want to know for sure, I would suggest you contact your rental car company and your insurance company and not listen to some things people are saying:cool: I may still get the IDP. Better to be safe than sorry.

However, I do love the post about it not being a big deal and to stay home. Love to see what would happen if Ontario put this kind of law in between the Detroit/Windsor and Buffalo/Niagara corridor.:eek:

Archived