Pier 88 Parking lot ever full up??

emcee207

We're leaving on the NCL Gem on Mon March 4 but arriving in NYC on Sat March 2.

Is there usually space in the parking lot, even if one arrives on a non disembarkation day? Do I need to have a back up in mind in case this happens? I of course know there is no guarentees but I was wondering in general what is the usual situation.

Thank you in advance for any help provided. These boards are the greatest source of information.

If it's not an embarkation day you likely won't be allowed to park at the pier. The lot is normally closed except on embarkation/disembarkation days.

If you arrive at the pier before noon on embarkation day you should have no problem getting a space. Last year we were there on a day when two NCL cruises were embarking at Pier 88, and someone later mentioned that the lot had filled (the other lots at the cruise terminal were also full because there was a large trade show at piers 92/94).

According to the cruise terminal's web site, nycruise.com , if the lot is full you'll be directed to a parking lot on 59th St.

Thanks for the help njhorseman, I had a hunch that might be the case. This is just a back up plan. If we need to implement it we'll just look for parking somewhere near our hotel for Sat/Sun night then go to the pier mon morning.

Thanks again; you provide a lot of valuable help on this thread.

We've sailed out of NYC many times and the parking lot has never turned folks away because it was full. NCL does a lot of 1 and 2 night cruises to nowhere, so if they day you plan to arrive in NY, if some ship is going out that day, the parking lot will be open. You could park there, take just an overnight bag to where ever you are going to be staying prior to your cruise, then get your luggage from your car the day you depart.

We've sailed out of NYC many times and the parking lot has never turned folks away because it was full. NCL does a lot of 1 and 2 night cruises to nowhere, so if they day you plan to arrive in NY, if some ship is going out that day, the parking lot will be open. You could park there, take just an overnight bag to where ever you are going to be staying prior to your cruise, then get your luggage from your car the day you depart.

Before I answered, I checked the port schedule at nycruise.com, and I knew there were no cruises departing the day the OP is arriving in NY, March 2. There is one on March 3.

As I mentioned, the lots were full on one cruise we took, and someone mentioned on Cruise Critic that they were not able to park at the pier.

Well, if we have to use this back up plan, it might be worth it to stop there and see if we could get in. And, that idea of leaving most of the suitcases in the car is a great one.

Always get lots of good advice on these boards, thank you!!

Check out the "Circle Line" pier that's is just a couple of blocks south. You might be able to park there for a couple of days and if the rate is better, leave your car there for the duration of the cruise. I'm only offering it as a suggestion and something you might want to check you without being criticized of giving information that is "not true" or "wrong" . I don't profess to be the end all, be all of NY cruise departures and I'm sure one of the previous posters will have a plethora of info on do's, don'ts can'ts, maybes and why nots......but it's worth checking out.

Check out the "Circle Line" pier that's is just a couple of blocks south. You might be able to park there for a couple of days and if the rate is better, leave your car there for the duration of the cruise. I'm only offering it as a suggestion and something you might want to check you without being criticized of giving information that is "not true" or "wrong" . I don't profess to be the end all, be all of NY cruise departures and I'm sure one of the previous posters will have a plethora of info on do's, don'ts can'ts, maybes and why nots......but it's worth checking out.

Marco,yes, that is a good point. I think someone on another thread mentioned that the Circle Line offers discount long term parking for cruises in the winter when their business is slow. That is another good fall back alternative.

Thanks.

Archived