RSVP MSC Divina 2.15.14

bradpole

I read some of the same reviews. They will probably change some of these things for our cruise. Perhaps they already have on the other ship that leaves out of Ft Lauderdale since it is serving primarily an American clientele.

Edited by gigand
posted in wrong forum

God Bless You, Brother Peter!

SHH

I have been entertained by both and as nice as Brother Malcolm is (he remembered me from an Atlantis land vacation many years prior), he aint a match to Sister Helen Holy. Can I have an "amen"?

Edited by Boytjie

Does the MSC Divina have a dick deck... ?

A clothing optional area would be something that is arranged between RSVP and MSC. Not commenting on after hour usage anr the spa ;)

For the first few cruises I was on it seemed that a deck became clothing optional within a day or so but nothing was official. A few years ago I pressed Charlie Rounds on it and since then we have had the signs up on the selected deck as soon as we board.

Looking at the deck plans and pictures, the usual clothing optional deck is topmost and forward but on the Divina that is a Yacht Club area. The only other options seesm to be the Solarium deck midships - with a whirlpool. That would be a nice addiction to the clothing optional deck, but could become... uhem.. more like what you mentioned...

Edited by Boytjie

Looking at the deck plans and pictures, the usual clothing optional deck is topmost and forward but on the Divina that is a Yacht Club area. The only other options seesm to be the Solarium deck midships - with a whirlpool.

Weel, seems like a fee is charged for use of the Solarium. :(

We have done 10 Atlantis cruises and thinking of trying RSVP. For you guys that have done RSVP, is it as casual as Atlantis as far as dress goes. Main Dining is shorts and shirt. Specialty restaurants in nice jeans. We like to be nicely dressed casual...no formal or anything. Also in main dining does RSVP have open seating and if we want, can we sit alone for Dining like at Atlantis. How is crusing with RSVP? Don't care about the night parties anymore, so that's not important. All about relaxed and casual atmosphere. Thanks.

We have done 10 Atlantis cruises and thinking of trying RSVP. For you guys that have done RSVP, is it as casual as Atlantis as far as dress goes. Main Dining is shorts and shirt. Specialty restaurants in nice jeans. We like to be nicely dressed casual...no formal or anything. Also in main dining does RSVP have open seating and if we want, can we sit alone for Dining like at Atlantis. How is crusing with RSVP? Don't care about the night parties anymore, so that's not important. All about relaxed and casual atmosphere. Thanks.

I think Atlanits and RSVP is very similar regarding dining. It is all Open Seating and you can ask for a table for two if you want too.

They usually have one formal optional night but I think that it is getting less popular - last week's cruise had formal optional on Valentine's Day and we took our tuxes, but when were wanted to go eat we were a bit lazy to change and we decicded ot check in on the dining room to see how many are dressed up. Hardly anyone we saw so we walked in as is: jeans/polo/shoes and white pants/shirst and dress sandals.

For dinner usually people wear long pants (slacks, jeans, khakis) and shirts - no tank tops - but there are exceptions always. Last year two of our friends showed up in sarongs :D

The parties are alway popular but not everyone participates in all or some of them. There are usually 3 tea dances (4-6pm/5-7 pm) and 3 night parties (outdoors from 10:30-2:30 am) depending on the itinerary. At 2:30 am dancing moves to the night club till 4:00 am (I have not gone to that ever)

This past cruise I opted out of the Costume party and was in bed by 11:00 am and was up early for a 8:15 massage - and it was great to be rested and relaxed. I overheard someone on the elevator moan: "not another tea dance!" I told him he did not have to go, but he said then everyone will want to knwo why and tell him thet he really should have been there. :)

RSVP is quite casual and it can be as relaxing as you want it to be.

Edited by Boytjie

It would definetly not be the same without our Sister Helen and Paul J Williams. They're an RSVP staple.:D

I agree. We love seeing SHH and Paul. What a quick wit.We just hope he doesn't "retire" anytime soon. As much as we really liked Brad, we still miss Danny Williams. We also miss Andy Schmeidel too.

Weel, seems like a fee is charged for use of the Solarium. :(

Based on the info we have come across on cruise critic and from t/a's, we are anticipating we will be seeing additional charges for a number of things we have come to take for granted on H/A such as certain Lido ice cream and possibly room aervice. It is our understanding that any coffee after dinner is additional. Of course some of this may be hearsay and some of it may change for RSVP. Now of course if these questions are brought up, we will be mocked for wondering if "comes with" but the questions go to the value of the product presented by MSC.

The official party line is that this cruise is less expensive than H/A and yes we have booked a balcony for what we paid for an obstructed view outside cabin on H/A. But we are also getting a smaller cabin and have given up a roomier shower/tub combination for a small stall shower.When we purchase any product or service we look for value. While we know the added value provided by RSVP, we are not yet sold that MSC presents a better value than H/A given the info we have thus far been able to gather.

Don't know but we are keeping an open mind anticipating a great time to be had nonetheless.

Thank you, the pricing seems reasonable, port fees seem high for only 3 ports though, for those that have done both Atlantis and RSVP what will the difference be if any other than no Malcolm

Pricing really a bargain compared to HAL. One of the reasons for the change.

Does Brad Loekle return? Or will we see another new face? I found him to be a good host for a first time at RSVP.

Edited by Typhoon1

Has anyone found out more information about this private island, especially compared to Half Moon Cay? Cruise Critic says that Half Moon Cay has also been voted "Best Private Island" 11 years in a row by "Porthole Cruise Magazine." I have certainly enjoyed Half Moon Cay. I recall that there was a numerical rating of Caribbean private islands on the Internet or in a magazine and am trying to find it. Concerning Great Stirrup Cay, I have read some of the reviews of Great Stirrup Cay and they are mixed. Some comments said that the beach was very crowded and not in the best condition.

Pricing really a bargain compared to HAL. One of the reasons for the change.

Does Brad Loekle return? Or will we see another new face? I found him to be a good host for a first time at RSVP.

We are not quite sure that pricing is a bargain. The official party line from Pravda is that it is a bargain. We are not so sure.

We are paying no less than we paid for the Eurodam. The official party line is we are getting a balcony cabin on MSC for the cost of a non-balcony cabin on HAL. That is not paying less. Yes we are getting a balcony but we are losing square footage of the cabin itself and are losing a bathtub/shower for a shower only. We are paying less and getting less. MSC is no HAL or Celebrity.And that does not account for the commentary online.

We are concerned of RSVP's ability to fill a 3000 passenger plus ship. They have had difficulty filling a 2000 passenger ship. Unless MSC gave them a deal where they can break even at 1800 passengers or so, we have concerns. We want RSVP to succede as we love them so but the numbers scare the BeJesus out of us.

Remember, from a cash flow perspective, the entry level for this cruise is $899. That is the same entry level point as on the Eurodam. The remainder of the inside cabins are priced comparably to those on HAL. Yet, we do not expect MSC to deliver anything near the HAL product or experience. But the delivered product aside, if I am a twenty something or anyone else who is particularly price conscious, the entry point is still $899. And that is for the most basic of cabins. THe shtick of getting a balcony for an outside cabin may work for the existing sphere of customers, but how will that work on those who consider the entry point of $899 too high. Remeber, there are 1500 plus cabins to fill.

We are hoping that RSVP can pull this one out. But the constant repetition of the cruise costing less is kind of inaccurate and misleading, given the product. While we have no doubts that RSVP can deliver a wonderful experience, we have serious concerns regarding the ship as well as whether RSVP can fill it to a profitable level.

As for Brad, we are all a tough audience. Given everything, we thought, just our opinion, that he did a nice job and could grow into the role. Remember, this was his first time at bat and most importantly he was not Scott Nevins!

The reason the cheap cabins are the same price - and that there are no discounts - is that they sell out first. The same goes for the most expensive cabins.

No disagreement. But the official party line is that the MSC cruise is less expensive and ,at least by implication, a better value. However, an $899 inside on HAL is going to be a better deal than an $899 inside on MSC given what HAL provides. HAL does not nickle and dime.

But back to what I was saying about cash flow. If I was a customer who was particularly price conscious and $899 was too much on HAL, how would the exact same price incent me to purchase on MSC. Goodness, even if they had lowered it to $849 or $799. Remember, two, three weeks before our 2/9 sailing, availability on some of the inside cheapie cabins was still showing on the website. I can't stop coming back to the size of the MSC ship and the difficulty they have apparently had filling the HAL ships.

This is from RSVP's Traveler Information for this summer's Alaska cruise:

"How should I dress?

For daytime activities on board we suggest comfortable, casual clothes. Depending on the temperatures, shorts or workout clothing would be appropriate attire. If you’re planning adventurous shore excursions pack sturdy, comfortable shoes and lightweight rain gear. Dressing in layers will help keep you warm on chilly mornings and you can always strip down to avoid overheating.

For evening activities, dress ranges from casual and club wear to more formal. Comfortable, relaxed clothing including blue jeans is fine for most evenings on an RSVP cruise. However, swimwear and tank tops are not allowed in the main dining room, and please no shorts in the Pinnacle Grill. We will offer one optional formal night on this sailing and this is your opportunity to dress up or not, whatever suits your mood. Also check our website closer to your departure date so you can attend our signature parties dressed to the theme!"

IMHO While it IS Alaska, I believe even on a Caribbean cruise you'll see few shorts in the dining room. I mean, come on, we don't bother with tuxes anymore, but a pair of pants? How much does it kill someone to wear pants to dinner? I don't care how someone classifies their Dolce & Gabana shorts. That's just sloppy.

Edited by jimnbillnpa

We are booked! Cabin #10169, which sounds like a sex course! It will be easy for us to remember!

Saw on another site that MSC is catering more to Americans on the Caribbean cruises, and such things as coffee and water will not be extra.

Now, where is a good place to stay pre or post-cruise in Miami? Any gay clothing optional resorts?

I am looking forward to returning to St. Maarten and Orient Beach. I loved it back in 2007.

Now, where is a good place to stay pre or post-cruise in Miami? Any gay clothing optional resorts?

I am looking forward to returning to St. Maarten and Orient Beach. I loved it back in 2007.

There is only one gay hotel left in Miami; I'd rather stay in Ft. Lauderdale. Miami does not appeal to me much.

That was our first ever cruise excursion and we got to do it with you! :D

We are booked! Cabin #10169, which sounds like a sex course! It will be easy for us to remember!

Saw on another site that MSC is catering more to Americans on the Caribbean cruises, and such things as coffee and water will not be extra.

Max,

Look at the Lords South Beach. I don't think it's totally gay but check their site and call them to find out if interested. Great location about a block from beach, walking distance to Twist, Score, Palace, Mova. Palace is fun. right across the street from the beach on Ocean Drive. Perhaps you've been to South Beach so you would know the beach itself is nice with an extensive shore line. There are many places to stay on South Beach but if I think of anything else to recommend I'll let you know.

Jim & Terry