RSVP MSC Divina 2.15.14

bradpole

Hi Peter,

It's going to be different not being on familiar grounds again. It's kind of exciting though being on a new ship with a totally different layout. It's going to be hard to measure up to the great accommodations and service we all were shown by Holland American and their staff/crew.

Check out these cabins. They are Ocean View Cat. 5 Deck 13 with a French Balcony look to them. It doesn't look like anyone would be spending much time sitting on the "balcony", but it would be a good if you're wanting an open air breeze in your cab

:)

P1020632.jpg.1f69a5b52625ba0cb3147ace8f6a63eb.jpg

Untitled-19.jpg.c8fda31cfd7b3825e9bc595950ac9ed6.jpg

Any thoughts on the cabin/category/location to pick on this ship?

The last time I had a balcony on a RSVP cruise was on the Caribbean Princess 2007. Even then it was a nice bonus, I never took advantage of it for more than a few minutes at a time. I was always running in and out of my cabin during the day and evenings, only using the cabin as a place to rest, sleep, ect. for a few hours each day/night. The only time I book balcony's now are on normal non-RSVP/Atlantis cruises. The balcony on these cruises is my outdoors escape from everyone else on the ship when I need some alone time. I've opted for an obstructive view cabin on all the Holland America RSVP Cruises. This category was perfect for me since it had the huge window to let in the natural daylight, and it wasn't much more in price than that of an inside cabin.

Since a balcony on the Divina is just a few bucks more than an outside, I will be doing a balcony on this cruise. I just need to figure out the best location and on which deck.

However, I will be passing up the Yacht Club rooms. It would just feel weird paying more for a cabin only to be isolated from others. Privacy is not something I seek on a RSVP cruise, but I'm sure others might enjoy this feature.

All 9 or 10 RSVP cruises I have done since 1989 with the exception of two have been in the cheapest inside cabin. Those two were a free outside cabin upgrade bcause I booked two RSVP sailing back-to-back. Like you say on an RSVP saling you spend so little time in you cabin I felt I would spend the extra monie on other things rather than balcony I would not have used. I don't really need a window as most of the daylight hours I am out and about. However on the Divina I did book a balcony because of the low price. There are several sites on light that show the layouts of each deck. You even have exterior views that show cabin with steel rails. Some of them are the higher priced balconies. We took cain 8147 on deck 8 because it was the cheapest of the balcony cabin, right by the mid-ship elevators, a longer sideways balcony and deck 8 will get more sun because of is 6 decks below the overgang of deck 14. We were going to pick 1339 for the same price, but then realized the overhang would mean shade. Check out this site for deck plan.

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/Main/decks.php?ship=MSC%20Divina

There are a few video reviews on line that are revealing about what the ship has to offer. You know we'll have a great time with RSVP.

Jeff told me at the price he got it for, he doesn't need to fill the ship to make money. I told him if this doesn't work he will probably be looking for a new job.

From what I understand he's already got one...

Aside from that, has anyone actually gotten official booking paperwork or had their deposits charged? I keep hearing RSVP is still entering all the info into the system.

From what I understand he's already got one...

Yup. :(

Aside from that, has anyone actually gotten official booking paperwork or had their deposits charged? I keep hearing RSVP is still entering all the info into the system.

I have not seen anything yet.

They told us on the ship the deposit would be charged the Wednesday after our return.

In typical RSVP fashion, nothing yet.

They told us on the ship the deposit would be charged the Wednesday after our return.

The deposit charge has gone in a few weeks after a cruise and not right away.

We were told on board that we had unitl March first to cancel with out any charge. After that there would be a charge to cancel. My agent received notice from RSVP on March first that we had booked for next year. The email also told him that he would be ireceiving nstructions form RSVP on how to bill the deposit. He called to tell me the deposit is going through him, our Travel Agent not RSVP. Friends of ours who booked with the same travel agent and signed up for next year go the same call. Not sure how RSVP is billing for those who didn't use a Travel Agent.

So what is this about Jeff getting a new job?

There will be conflicting versions of what really happened. Choose to believe whichever you wish..

Well, some may be speculating and some may actually know what really happened.

I have verification from three sources. What do you have?

Edited by Boytjie

Well, some may be speculating and some may actually know what really happened.

I have verification from three sources. What do you have?

Let's hear the story and the sources. Maybe that will add some credibility.

I don't believe discussing Jeff's career path is appropriate for this thread about the RSVP Feb 2014 cruise.

Have I previously posted anything on Cruise Critic that turned out to be wrong?

Edited by Boytjie

You're really irritating me again here. I may not like what's going on with my beloved RSVP, but I will become a mother lion when I see this kind of bitter commentary going on. Jeff was not "shown the door", as you so gleefully want to assume. Let it go.

Paul J. Williams

You're really irritating me again here. I may not like what's going on with my beloved RSVP, but I will become a mother lion when I see this kind of bitter commentary going on. Jeff was not "shown the door", as you so gleefully want to assume. Let it go.

Paul J. Williams

I consider you, Paul, to be a reputable source.

Now, let's take a moment to wish Jeff all the best in his future career endeavors. Wherever they may take him.

Paul J. Williams

I too am a big fan of RSVP so I am curious as to the above referenced goings on at RSVP. Any info that can be shared?

I too am a big fan of RSVP so I am curious as to the above referenced goings on at RSVP. Any info that can be shared?

RSVP President, Jeff Gundvaldson, left the company as of March 1. He will still be in the travel business, but with a different company. I don't think it's my place to say much more than that :)

PJW

Jeff has left the company, I am not sure what other information needs to be discussed.

Jeff has left the company, I am not sure what other information needs to be discussed.

I still have questions. That Jeff left the company has been addressed. However, in the other quote Paul referenced "other goings on". That is the information about which I am concerned. If I had the question, I am sure that other regular posters may be wondering as well. I do appreciate Paul's response particularly given his circumstances.

That being said, my concerns primarily stem from 2012, when we also booked on board. It was not until August when we found out that the itinerary had been changed. By then, we had already booked and paid for three non-refundable airline tickets (we do poor man's business class). We had made hotel resevations. We had obtained vacation approvals. We were too far in to make any changes. When we heard RSVP was handling cancellations on a case by case basis, we realized that even if we were inclined to pull the plug the odds were such we would not be made whole. But truthfully, we were not inclined to cancel because we love the RSVP product. Initially, RSVP was silent. It took a while for the official announcement.

At this point we are not too far into the planning. We have not purchased air. No hotel has been booked. No vacation time has gone through the approval process. If any of these "goings-on" were to result in changes to RSVP or its product that we did not find to be acceptable, pulling the plug would cost us $40 a piece, if that.

If the RSVP cruise was going to morph into the Atlantis product, which doesn't seem to be beyond the realm of possibility, that would give us pause. Remember, RSVP has been unable to fill a 2000 passenger ship and is now going to fill a 3500 passenger ship? Other threads have suggested that Atlantis is not going to do a Jan/Feb cruise while continuing with the March cruise. So while I am not interested in gossip about the RSVP staff however well I may wish them in their endeavors, I am interested in information that will influence a decision on continuing our reservation.

While I would not expect information of this nature or a discussion like this to take place on RSVPcruisers, I do not understand why anyone would appear to be shutting down a discussion in this forum, particularly as it could be relevant to the cruise on which this thread is based. Believe me, we do not wish anything but success for RSVP however we have already purchased one cruise itinerary which morphed into another itinerary and we sucked it up. I am not sure we would look favorably on the purchase of one product morphing into something else. And I don't want to wait till August or December to find out.

The regular posters and lurkers on this website have repeatedly demonstrated they are a valuable source of information, sometimes long before the powers that be decide to inform us.

Just reading all the posts to get caught up.

I just called RSVP concerning this cruise and asked when the web site would list pricing. I was asked what cabin cat i would be interested in to get a preliminary price. I must say I was surprised that they dont have things on the web yet.

MSC is questionable for me, but then so was the NCL cruise to hawaii which turned out to be great. As MSC is now the # 3 cruise line (based on berths), they are in the big time. They also want to "americanize" their product, so perhaps this cruise will be just fine.

The pricing in my opinion is high, so based on the info I got...that RSVP will head to the med in summer 2014.....I'll forgo this Feb 2014 cruise.

I hope your cruise is successful...maybe they will used MSC in the Med????

If we get to Rome again, maybe Helen Holy can hold court at the Vatican.....and wash my sins away.

Please make sure to write about MSC...to fill others in on the product.

Now lets hope the Med cruise is something special......

Hope all is well with those of you I have had the pleasure of meeting and sailing with.

If people want to discuss Jeff's departure from RSVP or issues with RSVP/Atlantis, I would suggest starting a new thread on the regular Gay and Lesbian board and leave this discussion on the Roll Call board to the topic of the 2014 RSVP cruise on the MSC Divina.

I would hate to see this board shut down because of it going off topic.

Edited by Boytjie