Tip pool on R class vs. O class ships

hotelnerd

On our recent trip on Regatta we talked to a 'Senior Waiter' with many Oceania contracts under his belt. We asked if he'd rather be on one of the newer ships. Good Lord, No - he said. The tip pool on the smaller ships was devided between fewer crew members per passenger so his share was larger on the smaller ships for the same amount of work. He made more per trip than on Marina or Riveria. He always asked for, and got becasue of his seniority (and proven professionalism), the R class ships for each new contract.

There are 1.71 guests per crew member on the smaller ships and 1.56 on the larger craft. More tips per crew member on the R class. That probably means a more senior crew - more experienced and, presumably, more capable.

It never occured to me even though I've spent a lifetime dealing with tipped employees. Another reason to prefer the smaller ships.

We're on Rivera next Ocania cruise. I'm sure we'll enjoy ourselves anyway.

'

I am sure they have a formula to insure all the TIPPED crew get their share

800 crew for 1250 passenger but not all the crew are in contact with passengers & some are NOT in the tip pool they get a wage

Food for thought

Interesting as we have always been informed that staff who are not in direct contact with passengers contribute towards excellent service and share in tip pool.

Elwin

800 crew for 1250 passenger but not all the crew are in contact with passengers & some are NOT in the tip pool they get a wage

Food for thought

Food for thought

It probably hasn't changed much since I worked in a summer hotel 50 years ago. The sailors probably don't participate. All of the 'hotel' type staff would. The tip pool is often heavily weighted towards those with seniority- dining room maitre d'hotel s for example and cabin staff supervisors. Hard to say for those in the laundry or kitchens. This is a reason to give extra directly to your cabin stewardess and steward. They probably get a small slice of the pie.

...This is a reason to give extra directly to your cabin stewardess and steward.

Can't say I agree with you at all on this one. We just got off Riviera and the "extra" we gave directly to our cabin staff had absolutely nothing to do with their cut of the tip pool but rather for the excellent service they provided "over and above" the expected high standard.

...There are 1.71 guests per crew member on the smaller ships and 1.56 on the larger craft. More tips per crew member on the R class...

The staff is frequently rotated between all the ships (and occasionally to Regent). I've never noticed any difference in the service; it's all excellent. While senior staff can request a specific ship for their contract, there really aren't that many who fit into that category to make any appreciable difference.

Because there are fewer passengers per crew on the larger ships, I suspect it's easier for the staff to offer more infividual service, regardless of the tips.

Archived