Magic hits dock in Cozumel....

monakayk

:mad:This above post is very insulting! I was not implying anything negative concerning Mexico or Mexicans. Only that the welding was done in Cozumel, Mexico.

Whoa! You weren't implying anything about Mexicans or mexico? But only that the welding was done in mexico?

monakayk -- The captain made an announcement to the passengers before we sailed that the repairs were successful and the ship had been found to be seaworthy with no damage to the structural integrity. I'm guessing this is the inspection you mentioned. Also, I'd say since it was then inspected at the time of repairs, it wouldn't necessarily need to be done before the next sailing too.

Thank you rjackieb for your post. Since the captain made the announcement to the passengers...I gather he reassured that everything was fine. That would be very reassuring.....if I had been on the Magic at that time.

I want to mention that I was on the Grand Princess on a 14 days cruise in Nov.-Dec. 2012 when the ship stopped dead in the water..no engines working. Our captain announced that they were working on the engines at different periods as we were not moving at all. It took almost an hour before we got power back and started to move again. However, hearing from the captain make periodic announcements did help me, the DH (as well as other friends who cruise with us) feel better about the situation till our engines worked again.

Whoa! You weren't implying anything about Mexicans or mexico? But only that the welding was done in mexico?

I was only STATING that the welding was done in Mexico which was what was REPORTED. I am not implying ANYTHING ABOUT ANYONE OR COUNTRY NEGATIVELY!

I'll give you the best answer I can and hopefully it will help.

The Magic hit the pier had a small hole above the water line and was fixed in port (left late because of this). Not sure who inspected the vessel (possibly inspected in Mexico, possibly in the US, possibly just by CCL crew), although, a gash above the waterline likely posed no threat to the ship's seaworthiness.

As for inspections, USCG has two type of inspections that it does on any cruise vessel departing or arriving in the US. Quarterly inspections are done on every single vessel. In addition, the USCG operates many random inspections. If, for whatever reason, the USCG believes a vessel is unsafe, it has the right to seize the vessel (or not allow embarkation). Any incident that is at all serious is recorded by the USCG, however, I am not sure if a gash above the water line merited an official report.

airm,

WOW....this post and answer to my question is exactly what I needed to know! Thanks soooooo much for being so clear. I will now Google USCG to better understand how ships are inspected, so I can have this information.

I do not need anymore answers....this post has given me what I needed to know.

Again..I am sorry for any misunderstanding in my OP.:o

I always have felt that CC members were understanding and have always helped me with my questions. And so far the majority of the post here have tried to be helpful. Thanks to those who tried to give me the info to help me better understand about how ships are inspected.

airm,

WOW....this post and answer to my question is exactly what I needed to know! Thanks soooooo much for being so clear. I will now Google USCG to better understand how ships are inspected, so I can have this information.

I do not need anymore answers....this post has given me what I needed to know.

Again..I am sorry for any misunderstanding in my OP.:o

I always have felt that CC members were understanding and have always helped me with my questions. And so far the majority of the post here have tried to be helpful. Thanks to those who tried to give me the info to help me better understand about how ships are inspected.

CLIA has a good link to what the Coast Guard tries to look for. http://www.cruising.org/regulatory/industry-welcome Look under Cruise Industry Policies. The Coast Guard has a bunch of reports you can look through.

CDC keeps records of ships sanitary conditions.

Really people????? To some people, this is a legitimate concern!!! Considering what just happened with the Triumph, calm down. No need to jump down the OP's throat. Just answer her question/concern and be done. No need to be snarky. Smh

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have to say that based on this picture http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=37016291&postcount=6 the damage appears well above the water line and the hole doesn't seem very big.

I wouldn't think a captain and crew would willing take out a ship in any danger of foundering. After all their lives are on the line.

I think they should have towed the ship back to mobile with all the power shut off just in case.

No really that was nothing, when they kept backing the Splendor into the docks in PV it had scrapes and holes that look like the little brother of what took down the Concordia, and they fixed them and sailed home everytime,

Now they did blow up an engine a year later from the last one, and had to be towed in for major repairs,

So do not go on the magic 12 to 18 months from now, the engine might blow up from this accident.

I was only STATING that the welding was done in Mexico which was what was REPORTED. I am not implying ANYTHING ABOUT ANYONE OR COUNTRY NEGATIVELY!

You might want to watch your step, that hole is getting deeper every post.

I understood what you were saying, and did not think you were saying the lazy drunk mexicans that welded the ship might not have know what they were doing.

Does anyone on these boards have an answer?:confused:

Do you inspect your car every time you turn the key?

I'm sure the weld job was perfect.. Chances are there are just as good or better welders in Mexico than in Galveston

So this is the real reason they could not use the Magic on the 10th to go and pick up the passengers from the Triumph, the OP was complaining that they did not do a good inspection before her cruise, and wanted to make sure they did it now, and the ship was not available for use, due to the long inspection process.

This is an interesting thread; they don't have ones like this on the RCCL boards probably because their ships are built better.

HAHAHAHA!!!

No RCL ships have ever been evacuated because of problems, ever...

Well, maybe I spoke too soon:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Monarch_of_the_Seas#Grounding_off_St._Maarten

But at least no RCL ships have ever lost power and had to be tugged back to port:

Well, spoke too soon again:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Grandeur_of_the_Seas#Power_loss

This is an interesting thread; they don't have ones like this on the RCCL boards probably because their ships are built better.

Posts like this tempt one to mention the fire aboard Allure of the Seas last year. Or the fire aboard Azamara Quest that left the ship powerless and floating in the South Pacific for twenty-four hours.

Bottom line, cruise ships are one of the most complex electro-mechanical systems operated by human beings. Humans make mistakes. Mechanical systems break. Electronics has bugs.

So this is the real reason they could not use the Magic on the 10th to go and pick up the passengers from the Triumph, the OP was complaining that they did not do a good inspection before her cruise, and wanted to make sure they did it now, and the ship was not available for use, due to the long inspection process.

you must be a tea bagger. you cant comprehend anything

MSC Splendida also hit the pier in Tunis on 6 Feb 2013, apparently caused by sudden winds and high wave.

The hole was repaired on the spot and despite a 3 hours delay, the vessel still managed to sail away and reached the next port of call on time.

As far as I know, MSC Splendida is still afloat at the moment, and I expect it will continue to remain afloat until I disembark ;)

To those still picking apart everything the OP said: couldn't you please just back off the OP now? She's come back, apologized and tried to rephrase her questions. Not everyone is as good as others at putting their thoughts into words on a screen. She came looking for answer to her concerns, she got them, and thanked those who helped. Now it'd be time to move on...or did she misspell something too?

Archived