A most remarkable 11 nights on Vision OTS, Feb 4-15, 2013

Darkwolfe

Even though you were able to get on early did you see anyone taking soda onboard?

Great pics and commentary so far, keep them coming! We sail on VOS next month. I am so glad you and yours had a wonderful cruise.

Carmen and Robert

Even though you were able to get on early did you see anyone taking soda onboard?

Great pics and commentary so far, keep them coming! We sail on VOS next month. I am so glad you and yours had a wonderful cruise.

Carmen and Robert

Great REVIEW Darkwolfe! It is almost like we were there!:D

We brought on 6 litres of pop. I need a glass of Diet Coke every first thing in the morning or I get a massive headache to start the day. The soda package on the ship is for fountain drinks and they are so watered down that they taste really bad. :eek:

They have cans of pop in the fridges available if you have a balcony stateroom or higher. I don't how much they charge you for those. Your room steward would be in charge of looking after keeping track of that.

Thanks for posting this terrific review. It is the same cruise we took in January, and we had a wonderful time, and loved Visionof the Seas and her great crew.

The enrichment talks were well-attended on our cruise, and one they repeated on request of the passengers.

You are making me homesick for Vision !

Thanks for your review we will be on VOS on Monday, can't wait.

Did they have the new menu while you were on your cruise?

THe cruise on the 4th was the last cruise with the old menu. The current cruise has the new menus.

Great REVIEW Darkwolfe! It is almost like we were there!:D

We brought on 6 litres of pop. I need a glass of Diet Coke every first thing in the morning or I get a massive headache to start the day. The soda package on the ship is for fountain drinks and they are so watered down that they taste really bad. :eek:

They have cans of pop in the fridges available if you have a balcony stateroom or higher. I don't how much they charge you for those. Your room steward would be in charge of looking after keeping track of that.

That took care of the soda query lol.

Great Job on the review....some of the pics look very familiar. Oh, we were just there last week. ;) Carry on my friend:)

And just think, we get to pull the same stunt on Serenade next year! :D

Thanks for all the good wishes and encouragement folks. I am uploading more as I type. The weather around here wanted me to go back to the Caribbean. A foot of snow fell in places around here today!!:eek:

I'm going to look and see if I got a better picture of Lunata somewhere, that one one is just plain fuzzy.

On we go to Barbados. Now the last time I was here, I got the impression of a fairly flat island. Ya, that's totally wrong. While not near as mountainous as most Caribbean islands, nonetheless, Barbados does have it's ups and downs.

Our guide for the day was Marc from Suntours Barbados. Amusingly, I noticed that Suntours was also running ship tours to Harrison's Cave. A full bus load (which we were with at the cave) and dealing with the crowd was something we wanted to skip. So for all of $5 more per person, we had an extra hour on tour and our own guide. That's just another reason we like to book tours with locals where we can. Naturally of course YMMV. :)

Royal Clipper was one of the other ships in port...

8495921499_5a25bb57e8_b.jpg

P1010107 by Wulfgar28, on Flickr

Vision from several miles away...

8497031052_3d15e9f7a5_b.jpg

P1010113 by Wulfgar28, on Flickr

Marc, our very pleasant and patient guide...

8497036858_aa5ec3eece_b.jpg

P1010115 by Wulfgar28, on Flickr

Looking down to the buildings at Harrison's Cave...

8495928967_8798a8db9f_b.jpg

P1010114 by Wulfgar28, on Flickr

Harrison's Cave is one of the major landmarks on Barbados. Not a bad experience if you are unfamiliar with caves, but somewhat limited compared to caves found in the US. Still a full limestone cave in the Caribbean is something to take notice of!

There are sadly a couple of negatives to this cave. One is that it is a tram tour, which means the guys in the back tend to miss out on a good number of photo stops. Two is that they do allow flash photography in the cave. Most caves in the US do not allow that, but there are cave dwelling critters in US caves and there are apparently not any in Harrison's Cave.

The reason this is a negative is because it puts people with epilepsy into a bit of a hazard. The flashes can and do cause problems. My GF is one of those people. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not grouching at people to treat her any differently than anyone else or skip taking pictures (I took a few too, as you will see), nor would she even think of trying to get people to enjoy their visit any less because of her difficulty (she simply ducked her head and closed her eyes a lot). It is simply something to be aware of if you or a family member or friend has this problem, it's best to plan ahead on how to deal with it if you want to go to the cave.

Inside Harrison's Cave...

8497043350_cf5d80f513_b.jpg

P1010127 by Wulfgar28, on Flickr

8497045932_22b5584a48_b.jpg

P1010129 by Wulfgar28, on Flickr

8495918729_1bdcb4f8fd_b.jpg

P1010130 by Wulfgar28, on Flickr

This was the only time I managed to get enough time to set a tripod shot on timer...

8497048240_39d830125c_b.jpg

P1010137 by Wulfgar28, on Flickr

Part two of our wandering on Barbados was the Wildlife Refuge. It's somewhat out of the way, but not real far from Harrison's Cave. Lots of stony paths, trees, small deer.. Whoops that's a turtle, not another rock! There was an odd little critter called a Morrow, which Marc said basically filled the same niche as a rat and a rabbit. Doesn't look much like either, but Marc lives here and I don't so I'm taking his word for it.

Warning, the rum punch at the Wildlife Refuge is made with well aged Mount Gay rum. Well enough aged that you don't taste the alcohol. So, yours truly managed to get a drop more than what was good for me and had a mild hangover later in the day. Just enough for me to grouch about and for my friends to laugh at me over. Ah well, I'm on vacation so it's all good!

One of the many small deer...

8497057812_b03b531628_b.jpg

P1010141 by Wulfgar28, on Flickr

One of many tortises that were wandering all over. This sometimes included wandering underfoot...

8495956189_bb6f2f8553_b.jpg

P1010142 by Wulfgar28, on Flickr

I think this one is actually a crocodile. Much smaller than the big alligators in Florida and the eyes are positioned differently. Unlike the other denizens of the park, these were not out loose.

8495958553_7f9f55b0c5_b.jpg

P1010145 by Wulfgar28, on Flickr

That strange little beast called a Morrow....

8497064948_2818e74c08_b.jpg

P1010148 by Wulfgar28, on Flickr

A few more random picture around the park....

At a glance, you wouldn't think civilization was anywhere nearby...

8495965775_9d6da59088_b.jpg

P1010153 by Wulfgar28, on Flickr

A scarlet macaw looking not terribly excited, but not too bored either. ( Note, stressed parrots tend to pluck their feathers. The macaws here were in great shape! )

8497076494_8f78c9c6aa_b.jpg

P1010165 by Wulfgar28, on Flickr

Not a regular resident of the park. Just passing through...

8497081280_f32b0b132d_b.jpg

P1010168 by Wulfgar28, on Flickr

The water off in the distance...

8495974685_4c6a460c34_b.jpg

P1010166 by Wulfgar28, on Flickr

Monkey mayhem!!

Well no, not really, but my GF would not forgive me if I left her favorite part of the day out of the review. These guys are wild and come and go at their own pace around the park.

By and large they ignore their larger cousins (us) unless someone waves food at them. Then you are likely to have a lap full of monkey. Just remember rule number one for monkeys, never grab them. That's what gets people bitten.

8497055476_9f815bedac_b.jpg

P1010184 by Wulfgar28, on Flickr

8495987209_843fe5f73c_b.jpg

P1010182 by Wulfgar28, on Flickr

8495984867_05f5d6c40d_b.jpg

P1010180 by Wulfgar28, on Flickr

That strange little beast called a Morrow....

8497064948_2818e74c08_b.jpg

P1010148 by Wulfgar28, on Flickr

That is a very strange looking thing. I've never heard of one....and he has funny ears. :)

Oh! It's an agouti, I thought they looked more like guinea pigs: http://www.flickr.com/photos/africats/4376388532/

Apparently Morrow is the governor's name.;)

Last post tonight and I am digressing for people again. Found a few more pictures hiding.

Our assistant waiter Frank.... Most excellent service even with a bit of a language barrier.

8496027221_382103cb5a_b.jpg

P1010234 by Wulfgar28, on Flickr

A much better picture of Lenuta... Can't say enough good things about her.

8497127532_e91b608a69_b.jpg

P1010233 by Wulfgar28, on Flickr

And lastly, Captain Ban out line dancing by the pool. I'm starting to think he's living a working vacation. Quite happily from the looks of things.

8497129900_2cb5f034b7_b.jpg

P1010226 by Wulfgar28, on Flickr

Good night all! Next episode takes us to the coast of St Vincent, where we find a catamaran, an old movie set, and "Who let the Crabs out??"

Thanks for your review we will be on VOS on Monday, can't wait.

Did they have the new menu while you were on your cruise?

And if you see Lenuta, tell her that table 114 got home just in time to get most thoroughly snowed on!

And if you see Lenuta, tell her that table 114 got home just in time to get most thoroughly snowed on!

You're just waiting for me to leave, aren't you? :p FINE, we are leaving tomorrow, but I might find wi-fi somewhere, so I can keep up with your review. LOL :D:):D Thanks Darkwolfe.

Archived