Baltic Shuttles or can you walk from ports?

kywhiskey

I don't know about Riga or Klaipeda, but in Tallinn you will be able to walk to the old town, which is absolutely charming. Rick Steves has a great walking tour of the Old Town; follow it and you will see the highlights as well as gain an understanding of what you are seeing. Have lunch there and enjoy a very special day.

Harriet

When we visited in June 2011 on Marina, there was a shuttle to the foot of the Old Town in Tallinn. We docked only a hundred yards from the main tourist area of Riga. In Gdansk, there was a shuttle to just a few blocks from the Gydnia train station, where you can catch the frequent train service to close to the old (actually rebuilt) part of Gdansk. In Helsinki, there also was a shuttle bus service to central Helsinki.

When we visited in June 2011 on Marina, there was a shuttle to the foot of the Old Town in Tallinn. We docked only a hundred yards from the main tourist area of Riga. In Gdansk, there was a shuttle to just a few blocks from the Gydnia train station, where you can catch the frequent train service to close to the old (actually rebuilt) part of Gdansk. In Helsinki, there also was a shuttle bus service to central Helsinki.

We were on the above itinerary in August on Marina, and the same shuttles were offered. You might want a good map of Gdynia if you're planning to take the train to Gdansk. It was a little tricky, but certainly doable. When you get off the train, you'll have to go down through an underpass to get to the main street. Make sure you're facing the train station when you get up onto the street, and then walk to the left a few blocks to get to Gdansk. For Riga, the walk is easy. Just walk down the river. Don't go over the overpass unless you want WiFi at the gas station! We followed some guys from the ship, thinking they knew a short cut, but it was just to get to WiFi. Of course, if you want to see the wonderful art nouveau in Riga, you should NOT head downtown. See my pictures at http://www.pbase.com/roothy123

In Helsinki, the Nautica (or maybe it was Regatta) was berthed right next to the market and ferry area when we were there - no shuttle needed for that. Marina, however, was out farther, which is why the shuttle was helpful.

There was also a shuttle in Ronne, Denmark, although I think that port is no longer visited.

All shuttles were free. I believe the town or port provided all of them on, but I'm not sure.

Archived