cabin costs for on line bookings

sweby

:confused: Does anyone else book their cruise online through Thomson. I have noticed that they are now showing prices for different decks eg initial price shown for deck 3/4. However when I go into select the deck I want, instead of the advertised price for that cabin being put on, they put on even more. Now I don't understand. Please could someone explain, or try out to see what I am talking about. I am very confused. :confused:

Sweby

:confused: Does anyone else book their cruise online through Thomson. I have noticed that they are now showing prices for different decks eg initial price shown for deck 3/4. However when I go into select the deck I want, instead of the advertised price for that cabin being put on, they put on even more. Now I don't understand. Please could someone explain, or try out to see what I am talking about. I am very confused. :confused:

Sweby

I see what you mean. I just looked at Thomson Celebration for 10 June, and upgraded to Deck 1/2 Outside for £14 each, but it then added £98. I think it's because, the lowest cabin category, in this case Deck 1/2 Inside is no longer available, so the new lowest is Deck 3/4 inside, which before you'd have to pay extra for. Therefore, the Deck 1/2 Outside £14 price is being calculated from the new lowest cabin category, whereas the £98 is what the upgrade would have been if the Deck 1/2 Inside was still available. Do you get me, as I think I've just confused myself! :D

Which sailing you looking at, just tried a dummy booking and had no price increases??? :confused:

Thanks for the quick response; I have tried a few. The last one I looked at was the Majesty on the 5th of April I think. Tried for a deck 8 outside plus cabin but instead on putting on the suppliment advertised it jumps up. have looked at a few others aswell, eg Thomson Celebration in the summer (August). It seems to affect the ones that are advertising intial prices as higher decks than the usual starting place, and if you want higher again, it seems to add on more than stated. I have notice this over the last week, as I have sat here trying to decide where and when and how much!.

I see what you mean. I just looked at Thomson Celebration for 10 June, and upgraded to Deck 1/2 Outside for £14 each, but it then added £98. I think it's because, the lowest cabin category, in this case Deck 1/2 Inside is no longer available, so the new lowest is Deck 3/4 inside, which before you'd have to pay extra for. Therefore, the Deck 1/2 Outside £14 price is being calculated from the new lowest cabin category, whereas the £98 is what the upgrade would have been if the Deck 1/2 Inside was still available. Do you get me, as I think I've just confused myself! :D

No sorry, please be patient with me, I think I have a block on this. :confused: The thing is, I have seen cruise prices go up and down almost on a daily basis online, and very often the cabin prices change aswell. Sometimes as the cruise price seemingly goes down the cabin price goes up. :eek: Also I can't believe that the lowest available deck for some cruises in the summer is now deck 6/7, which is what one of them is coming up with. It really seems odd to me. I know I wasn't the brightest at Maths, but £70 x 2 should be £140, but Thomsons seem to make it something higher. I would like to see lowest price available quoted and then this would mean you can select and hopefully the price they advertise the higher/outside cabins for is what will actually be added on. meanwhile, I would advsie anyone else to check carefully. I have tried out several, and the Maths just doesn't work out. :(

No sorry, please be patient with me, I think I have a block on this. :confused: The thing is, I have seen cruise prices go up and down almost on a daily basis online, and very often the cabin prices change aswell. Sometimes as the cruise price seemingly goes down the cabin price goes up. :eek: Also I can't believe that the lowest available deck for some cruises in the summer is now deck 6/7, which is what one of them is coming up with. It really seems odd to me. I know I wasn't the brightest at Maths, but £70 x 2 should be £140, but Thomsons seem to make it something higher. I would like to see lowest price available quoted and then this would mean you can select and hopefully the price they advertise the higher/outside cabins for is what will actually be added on. meanwhile, I would advsie anyone else to check carefully. I have tried out several, and the Maths just doesn't work out. :(

I see what you mean....just priced the majesty cruise and upped one cabin from base price, now this is what is really odd the correct price then displayed but the screen 'refreshed' and a higher price showed..... Think they may have some glitch as I have never noticed this before :confused: or perhaps I need to pay more attention :)

Thanks again Sailaway. Actually we have just looked at one for 22nd Jul on the Celebration I think. Now I can see how they have worked it. Its a very misleading way of making the cabin suppliments look lower than they actually are. Would like to see it going back to how it was. I don't think its based on cheaper cabins selling out, its just a selling strategy. you click on 2 @ £238 and it comes up with over £600. Try a few out. Its very interesting.

I've noticed this too over the past few weeks and it's not only happening with the prices. The cruise I have been looking at for a few weeks had only 6 seats left,.... then 4. Next thing it had disappeared so I thought I had missed my chance. A few days later it reappeared ...." only 4 seats left ." A few days later it had gone again only to reappear a week later at a different price and " only 4 seats left " This is the second time this has happened to me. First time it happened, ( first Thomson cruise ) I panicked and booked the cruise only to find a few days later there was more seats available and at a much lower price. I am now also looking at other cruise lines. Spoiled for choice as there are so many good deals out there.

Sweby

Hi Sweby,

This happens when the lowest available cabin has a supplement.

If you take a week from 10th June on Thomson Celebration for example, the lowest cabin available is a Deck 3/4 inside. On the breakdown a supplement of £70 (£35 each) is already included in the cost.

The upgrade of £14 per person to a Deck 1/2 outside cabin is added to the original supplement to total £98 in cabin supplement. But the cost is only increased by £28 as the £70 is already included in the initial price.

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks,

Dan.

I've noticed this too over the past few weeks and it's not only happening with the prices. The cruise I have been looking at for a few weeks had only 6 seats left,.... then 4. Next thing it had disappeared so I thought I had missed my chance. A few days later it reappeared ...." only 4 seats left ." A few days later it had gone again only to reappear a week later at a different price and " only 4 seats left " This is the second time this has happened to me. First time it happened, ( first Thomson cruise ) I panicked and booked the cruise only to find a few days later there was more seats available and at a much lower price. I am now also looking at other cruise lines. Spoiled for choice as there are so many good deals out there.

Sorry I don't think I made myself very clear. Thomsons do not only have deck 6/7 or above cabins left, but that is the price being quoted as an example orwhat the starting price online is for. I was replying to the suggestion that lower deck cabins may have sold out hence the anomaly regarding pricing, and saying I didn't think that could be the reason for the strange new pricing online for the cabins because they must have other cabins. I hope that makes it clearer and clears up any misunderstanding.

I know from time to time they can sell out eg Fire and Ice is looking pretty full for certain cabins. Also the issue with flights can be tricky. Its difficult to know about the number of seats left, sometimes people do cancel, and seats can come up again. I know we have had to cancel a couple of holidays for different reasons. So I would give a bit of benefit of doubt with regard to the availability of seats on the plane. We actually benifited when going to the carribean as we were able to upgrade to extra legroom at the check in as someone had cancelled.

Oops, I see that they are watching and jumped in quick.:eek::)

Interesting response, for 4.20pm. :eek: Nice to know they are looking out for us . Still don't understand the one that has a deck 6/7 cabin advertised. I am really suprised there is nothing below that cabin wise.

Sorry I don't think I made myself very clear. Thomsons do not only have deck 6/7 or above cabins left, but that is the price being quoted as an example orwhat the starting price online is for. I was replying to the suggestion that lower deck cabins may have sold out hence the anomaly regarding pricing, and saying I didn't think that could be the reason for the strange new pricing online for the cabins because they must have other cabins. I hope that makes it clearer and clears up any misunderstanding.

I know from time to time they can sell out eg Fire and Ice is looking pretty full for certain cabins. Also the issue with flights can be tricky. Its difficult to know about the number of seats left, sometimes people do cancel, and seats can come up again. I know we have had to cancel a couple of holidays for different reasons. So I would give a bit of benefit of doubt with regard to the availability of seats on the plane. We actually benifited when going to the carribean as we were able to upgrade to extra legroom at the check in as someone had cancelled.

When it shows that there are only a few seats left, a disclaimer pops up stating...." This shows how many seats are available for this holiday at the moment. There may be other seats available for different holiday durations.

We may also occasionally put more seats on sale at a later date "

I accept that seats and cabins become available due to cancellations but .....6 + 4 + 4 cancellations in the space of 3 weeks seems a bit high.

I just tried it and yes it does jump up in price by £56 :eek:

Which just happens to be 2 extra baggage (£28pp) once You select 2 x 20KG (free) you have your price back at what it was before :)

No I knocked off the extra luggage. The extra amount was on the cabin suppliment. However Thomsons have tried to explain this as you might see. Although the luggage is an interesting one isn't it. It says Additional luggage 25KG, but its not really an additional 25Kg, (can't imagine who would need all that, but that isn't the point) Its only an additional 5KG. So £28 for an extra 5KG. Thats a bit misleading too. I think it should be 20KG included plus the usual 5Kg hand luggage if required, and then in the extras they should have a drop down box to select an extra 5Kg if you want it at an additional cost, you know the bit where you ask for flowers and chocolates. So instead of having to remember to take off the extra luggage, if you want extra you would have to specifically ask for it.

I know what you mean this happened to me last year so its not a new thing. I was going to take this up with Thomsons but we didnt book straightaway and when we went back on to book the prices were correct. Ive seen the reply from Thomsons and it doesnt make sense. We need a test case. Someone screen print the pages with the prices on and the final page and take it up with them. They should be made to take the payment shown. Is anyone willing to try it?

I used the 5th of April as you said

Using Doncaster in this case

first page offers it at ...Per Person: £665 Total Price: £1330 Online Savings : £740

2 × Fly Cruise £ 1,998.00 Fuel Supplement £ 0.00 1 × Deck 3/4 inside plus £ 70.00 Worldcare Fund £ 2.00 Sub-Total £ 2,070.00 Online Savings: - £740.00 Total : £1,330.00

Now on this page, I clicked on Deck 6/7 outside @ £70 per adult.

Which now adds £140 and the total now reads £1470

At this stage I cannot take the bags off but have to click CHOOSE & CONTINUE

As I do this the price has now gone up to £1526.00

Only now along with choosing cakes etc can I reduce my baggage to 20KG (FREE) which brings my total back to £1470

Now apart from it adding £2 Charity if I do not choose seats etc and just click CONTINUE it brings me to the payment page

still having the Total sum of £1470 which now wants my name cards etc .

In this case it seems ok to me and does not seem to overcharge :confused:

Good luck solving it anyway ;):D:D

I used the 5th of April as you said

Using Doncaster in this case

first page offers it at ...Per Person: £665 Total Price: £1330 Online Savings : £740

2 × Fly Cruise £ 1,998.00 Fuel Supplement £ 0.00 1 × Deck 3/4 inside plus £ 70.00 Worldcare Fund £ 2.00 Sub-Total £ 2,070.00 Online Savings: - £740.00 Total : £1,330.00

Now on this page, I clicked on Deck 6/7 outside @ £70 per adult.

Which now adds £140 and the total now reads £1470

At this stage I cannot take the bags off but have to click CHOOSE & CONTINUE

As I do this the price has now gone up to £1526.00

Only now along with choosing cakes etc can I reduce my baggage to 20KG (FREE) which brings my total back to £1470

Now apart from it adding £2 Charity if I do not choose seats etc and just click CONTINUE it brings me to the payment page

still having the Total sum of £1470 which now wants my name cards etc .

In this case it seems ok to me and does not seem to overcharge :confused:

Good luck solving it anyway ;):D:D

Thanks Kalos, that seems clear.

I was looking at flying from Bristol. The cabin suppliment as shown is not what actually goes on, as this is added onto the cabin suppliment shown for the 3/4 inside cabin. I still think its misleading, but easily spotted if you check the figures at the side.

As for the cruise on the Dream around 10th Aug, that includes deck 6/7 inside cabins in the price, I checked and all the lower inside cabins seem to have gone, they aren't being offered anyway. hence the initial price includes the suppliment for inside deck 6/7.

I don't think I am being overcharged, but the suppliment for the 3/4 inside cabin is also being added onto the deck 8 suppliment increasing the suppliment for the higher deck from the price shown. (this is the cruise on the Majesty in April) I would just like to see the price clearly displayed for the deck 8 cabin before selecting the cabin, rather than the figures being adjusted to include the price of the deck 3/4 inside cabin. Thomsons seem to be saying its right, but its complicated and less transparent. Easy to overlook the real cost of the cabin. It just makes the cabin suppliments look cheaper.

Still this will not stop me from booking, I will just make sure I have got all the facts and figures first.

Could Thomson explain why I am unable to book a particular cabin for a cruise I booked on Friday for 1st March 2013? They say they cannot do this as it is within 16 days of travel but omit to tell customers this at the time of booking. The confirmation email invites me to book my cabin and I spent hours perusing the deck plans, all wasted. I would have booked a lower deck with less chance of having a lifeboat outside or a cabin at the front but now we'll have to take pot luck. This is the 21st century for heavens sake.

Jan

Could Thomson explain why I am unable to book a particular cabin for a cruise I booked on Friday for 1st March 2013? They say they cannot do this as it is within 16 days of travel but omit to tell customers this at the time of booking. The confirmation email invites me to book my cabin and I spent hours perusing the deck plans, all wasted. I would have booked a lower deck with less chance of having a lifeboat outside or a cabin at the front but now we'll have to take pot luck. This is the 21st century for heavens sake.

Jan

I don't know what your preferences are, but I would be booking an "upgrade" that guarantees not being at the back of decks 3 and 4 because of the noise and vibration.

There were only a few outside plus cabins left on deck 4 in the centre of the ship where we wanted to be when we booked in December.

I do believe that all the inside plus on deck 4 are forward of the noise and vibration so that's an idea??

I think that the cabins advertised as inside on decks 8/9 are the ones with fully obstructed views as there are no inside cabins on these decks. (Worth checking though). So these if still advertised should be avoided.

Fingers crossed for you.

Thanks Kalos, that seems clear.

I was looking at flying from Bristol. The cabin suppliment as shown is not what actually goes on, as this is added onto the cabin suppliment shown for the 3/4 inside cabin. I still think its misleading, but easily spotted if you check the figures at the side.

As for the cruise on the Dream around 10th Aug, that includes deck 6/7 inside cabins in the price, I checked and all the lower inside cabins seem to have gone, they aren't being offered anyway. hence the initial price includes the suppliment for inside deck 6/7.

I don't think I am being overcharged, but the suppliment for the 3/4 inside cabin is also being added onto the deck 8 suppliment increasing the suppliment for the higher deck from the price shown. (this is the cruise on the Majesty in April) I would just like to see the price clearly displayed for the deck 8 cabin before selecting the cabin, rather than the figures being adjusted to include the price of the deck 3/4 inside cabin. Thomsons seem to be saying its right, but its complicated and less transparent. Easy to overlook the real cost of the cabin. It just makes the cabin suppliments look cheaper.

Still this will not stop me from booking, I will just make sure I have got all the facts and figures first.

its always been this way, often not noticed because the lowest base price cabins are still available, you just take notice of the bottom line figure in red and ignore the rest of the "thomson speak" nonsense (you find similar stupid calculations on their invoices), the sums always come out right on what is advertised and what the what the optional cabin cost is .

I agree that the opt out extra baggage is ridiculous and the pea brained idiot beancounter that thought it a good idea is doing the company damage in the goodwill department.

I don't know what your preferences are, but I would be booking an "upgrade" that guarantees not being at the back of decks 3 and 4 because of the noise and vibration.

There were only a few outside plus cabins left on deck 4 in the centre of the ship where we wanted to be when we booked in December.

I do believe that all the inside plus on deck 4 are forward of the noise and vibration so that's an idea??

I think that the cabins advertised as inside on decks 8/9 are the ones with fully obstructed views as there are no inside cabins on these decks. (Worth checking though). So these if still advertised should be avoided.

Fingers crossed for you.

We booked an upgrade to deck 6/7 when we bought the cruise but can't pick a specific cabin as it's too close to departure. Why? I don't know but there it is. Grin and bear it I suppose.:D

Jan

We booked an upgrade to deck 6/7 when we bought the cruise but can't pick a specific cabin as it's too close to departure. Why? I don't know but there it is. Grin and bear it I suppose.:D

Jan

thats always been a pain with late bookings,used to be 14 days cut off point,now it seems to have stretched to 16, you would have thought 7 as the cut off would be ample for admin/allocation purposes, havn't the brainless beancounters realised they are possibly missing out on some extra 42 squids

Archived