Transaction fee

Capri73

Boy I am not happy with PG.I just made our deposit for our trip in Aug.$85.00 was charged as a transaction fee.I guess anymore will be charged when I pay the balanced.

I have been cruising for many years and never once been charged for this.:confused:

Ok here goes - only Amex Platinum does not charge a fee of the AMEX cards. there are many other cards that don't charge transaction fees. I have 2 - British Airways Visa and Priority Club Visa. NOW - your travel agent should have told you this up front as the PG uses a clearing house in Ireland - what your TA should have ALSO told you is that all you have to do is call PG - show them on your invoice where and how much your transaction fee is/was and they WILL give you back that fee in the form of an on board credit. No worries!

I have an AmEx Blue Cash and we were not charged a transaction fee for our PG payments. I believe this is because the charges were in USD. Now, I have used the card for foreign currency transactions and in those cases there was a separate transaction fee. Some Americans see transaction fees even though the charge is in USD because it is processed by a foreign bank. My TA told me, and I have seen cases on this board, that if you send a copy of the statement showing the fees then PG will refund them in the form of an OBC.

I too actually talked to PG and they said if I was not able to avoid the foreign transaction fee from my bank they would give me an OBC. I ended up paying by check to avoid this issue. Try them again directly if your TA is unable to get this done for you.

Twin you will meet Liz on the repeaters cruise.... like my DD she is a points queen. We have had over 70 tickets using points and of those about 50 would be in Biz or first so yes for us too its points, points, points!

Miles or points that you earn using certain credit cards, that you then can turn into flights, hotels,cruises, products, car rentals, ....many things...depending on the card.

We have used several cards to get many things that otherwise we would not have done or had, if we had used cash, checks, or other credit cards.

Chuck

Yep - I'm into the points game and just booked our Galapagos and Machu Picchu trip all with points - well, not all of the Boutique hotels and cruise part - but the flights and Hilton are now almost free.

I charge EVERYTHING but wish I had a business to buy supplies like Jo...

Liz

If you are not worried about your credit rating almost all airline credit cards give you enough points for a free trip somewhere. Join the FF program first and watch for offers.

Same with hotels. I find Priority Rewards - Intercontinental Chain - is best. Pay the $$$ to become an "Ambassador". Great for Tahiti. Worth every penny because of upgrades, late check out and free nights. American Express Gold Rewards also gets you triple miles on airlines. Lots if forums out there to see what's going on!

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same thing happen, once when we made the deposit and once for the final payment. After reading this thread this week, I called them. They are issuing me an OBC for the entire amount. I had to submit proof of the charge. I didn't use a travel agent so I sent them the credit card statement that showed the PG charge and the Foreign transaction charge. My husband and I had written off the almost $400 in transaction fees. Now we will use it for a couple of excursions or spa treatments. Thanks to all!:D

I have read previous threads about the transaction fee on this board, so I know that PG uses an Irish bank and that most credit cards (not PG) impose a foreign currency transaction fee, even though the charge is made in US dollars.

This is not a problem for us, because we always use our Capital One credit card for travel because it gives us two miles for every dollars spent, and does not charge a foreign currency transaction fee (plus it has no annual fee--I love that card!)

I just paid the balance of our much anticipated cruise in June. Printed out our invoice, etc. On a page full of small print is this information:

"Credit Card Payments: Are processed through the PG Cruises Line Ltd Euro-Zone credit card processor. Please be advised that some Visa and Master Card issuing banks impose a 'Foreign Transaction Fee' on credit card transactions processed outside of the U.S. even is the transaction is denominated in U.S. dollars. This is a fee imposed by the card issuing bank and is solely for their benefit. Paul Gauguin Cruises derives no benefit, monetary or otherwise, from the assessment of these fees."

• 4 weeks later...

I was offered either a obc or a credit back to my cc. I took the obc, but it wasn't there when I got on board. Luckily, I brought along a copy of my cc bill and the email correspondence. I was told that it was 'use it or lose it', so they opened the gift shop the last night just for us so we could spend the balance

I just put a deposit down using an Amex and there's no transaction fee that I can see. It's a Canadian Amex, an Aeroplan Plus card.

Ours came about 3 weeks later.Also PG will not offer shipboard credit.

Maybe Canadian cards are accepted.I hope so for you.

It's now six weeks or so later, and I have been charged no transaction fee on my Amex Aeroplan Plus card.

Archived