Limassol, Cyprus - DIY to Paphos

So, I found little information about this port or activity so thought I would share what I could.

- First of all, the Cyprus Tourist Information Booth right as you exit customs was WONDERFUL. The lady had maps, booklets, bus schedules, and spoke excellent English. People that booked ship tours didn't even get to see this as the official buses park right at the ship and whisk you away.

- NCL Jade made a big deal about trying to get people to buy a 10E "shuttle pass" (again, parks right by the ship so you are blissfully unaware you got ripped off)...that runs about every 30 minutes to and from downtown Limassol but will sit there until fairly full.

- Why do that, when you can take the local public transit for 3E for the day into Limassol on Bus 30, which runs about every 20 minutes and was very prompt. This is located less than a 2 minute walk right outside the exit from customs. You can stand in the bus stand and look at the ship.

http://www.***********.com/RouteDetails.aspx?id=40

- We decided that Limassol didn't seem near as interesting as the World Heritage and historical ruins located at Pahpos. For 5E for a return ticket, you can take an 80 minute ride (ours ran about 10 minutes long each way) up the coast to and from Pahpos. The nice thing is this bus runs directly from the same bus stop right at the cruise ship port. The bus drops you in the middle of town, which was about 3 KM walk to the Paphos archaeological park. If I had it to do again, I would see if I could get the Paphos local bus schedule to get to/ from to give more time at the sites. You could easily see the frescoes and Paul's pillar/ church on a short day trip.

http://www.intercity-buses.com/index.php?link=routedetails.php&serial=14

http://www.pafosbuses.com/

- While waiting at the bus stop by the cruise ship, you will get offers of other tours from local taxis/ guides. We had offers of 5 hour tours that would cover both Paphos and Limassol....price was 15E each for a group of 16 or 20E each for a group of 8. This would not include any admissions or food.

What great information. We found very little information before we went in 2009 but I did find a tour operator who took us in two mini busses to Paphos. It is well worth going. we only had a five hour port stop so would not have wanted to chance busses, but the fact there were also tours/taxis there is good information.

If we were to go again we would also consider renting a car. They drive on the left, but the highway was great and virtually empty.

Archived