Bear viewing w/out flight

cruisinlawn

The boat trips to Neets are a poor choice. Neets' success with viewing is due to the fish hatchery, up river. Think about it. a "boat" isn't going to have any access to the hatchery, and viewing would be way out, they aren't going to "dock" either. Add to the mix, all the time eaten up boating back and forth, with little actual viewing time. (I find the fly in tours to have too limited viewing time for my preferences and comparing my earlier trips)

So to answer the question- it will be pure luck to see any bears. With that option, you have to be in areas that can give you a "chance". Two possibilities I would go for would be car rentals out of Skagway and Juneau. Drive the Klondike Highway, pulling off frequently and eyes in the brush, constantly scanning. Allow all day, enjoying the scenery.

Juneau, get yourself to Mendenhall (I mentioned a car rental, to allow for other stops) by car or shuttle bus, in the Parking lot, slow walk the walkways, ask rangers if any bears had been seen. IF none for days, then see what you wish of the glacier and move on to alternative touring perhaps.

This timeframe is peak for fly in Neets and Anan. It will depend greatly on the person, how badly they want to see bears? If a must, there may still be a chance to add Denali? Very good chance of seeing brown bears, or they may decide to take the leap and fly.

BudgetQueen has spoken and she has given you excellent advice!!

I am here to reiterate two things that she said.

I have driven out of Skagway on the Klondike Highway on my way to the Alcan. Driving along the highway in the evening has been very productive for me in terms of bear viewing. I did not have as much luck driving in the middle of the day, but I was not stopping to look for them either. The last time I drove the Klondike out of Skagway in the evening got me two black bears wandering along the side of the road (one was lying right on the shoulder just watching) and a smaller (maybe 2.5 year old) Grizzly bear.

At the Mendenhall Glacier, BQ had a great idea of checking with the Rangers to see if there have been bears around recently. More often than not, most of the bears I see around the Mendenhall glacier area are on the Steep Creek Trail. There are a couple of ways to get there, but I would start at the platform in the 2nd parking lot away from the glacier.

If you are interested, this video was taken in the Meadow on the trail. This was taken from an elevated boardwalk.

Archived