Campo De' Fiore/Pantheon area hotels

CathyCruises

Hi All:

Planning a brief return to Rome (thank heaven for those coins and that fountain) but on the budget plan due to past extravagances. ;) I would like to stay near the Centro Storico but would consider Trastevere area. I have read many threads and identified Hotel Smeraldo and Hotel Navona as two possibilities that are within my budget. I just thought I'd ask if anyone has any other suggestions in that general area that I should check into? This is for 3-4 nights in early May.

Thanks,

Cathy

First time we stayed at the Residenza Canali off the Piazza Navona. We had it reserved again for our 3 nites last June because we really liked it, but when several friends wanted to join us, we decided to book an apartment thru VRBO.

The cost for the apartment on Via Giulia near Campo di Fiori was far more economical than the hotel, but at a higher level of "luxury"- elevator, 2 terraces, 3 bathrooms, A/C, kitchen, and near a Roma Cristiana HOHO stop. Our roll call friends booked an apt. for 2 on the same street- Via Guilia- which enabled us to share transfers from FCO (we were coincidentally on the same AirCanada flight out of Toronto) & to Civi.

For two, you can likely find a beautiful apartment for far less than a hotel. The Piazza Navona, Pantheon and Campo di Fiori are Centro Storico locations which is where you want to be for easy access to many sites.

progress.gif

First time we stayed at the Residenza Canali off the Piazza Navona. We had it reserved again for our 3 nites last June because we really liked it, but when several friends wanted to join us, we decided to book an apartment thru VRBO.

The cost for the apartment on Via Giulia near Campo di Fiori was far more economical than the hotel, but at a higher level of "luxury"- elevator, 2 terraces, 3 bathrooms, A/C, kitchen, and near a Roma Cristiana HOHO stop. Our roll call friends booked an apt. for 2 on the same street- Via Guilia- which enabled us to share transfers from FCO (we were coincidentally on the same AirCanada flight out of Toronto) & to Civi.

For two, you can likely find a beautiful apartment for far less than a hotel. The Piazza Navona, Pantheon and Campo di Fiori are Centro Storico locations which is where you want to be for easy access to many sites.

progress.gif

Totally agree with this...... if staying 3 nights an apartment can be much cheaper believe it or not ! Our first 2 trips to Rome we stayed in hotels, our last trip we stayed in an apartment and we have one booked for this October. First apartment was literally steps from the Pantheon (down the side street of Albergo del Senato - Via Seminario) and this one is steps from Piazza Navonna (had to find one with no steps and an elevator for MIL) so both very very good locations. And it can save you a bunch of $$$$

Hi All:

Planning a brief return to Rome (thank heaven for those coins and that fountain) but on the budget plan due to past extravagances. ;) I would like to stay near the Centro Storico but would consider Trastevere area. I have read many threads and identified Hotel Smeraldo and Hotel Navona as two possibilities that are within my budget. I just thought I'd ask if anyone has any other suggestions in that general area that I should check into? This is for 3-4 nights in early May.

Thanks,

Cathy

Hotel Smeraldo is is nice little hotel in a good area that has been popular over the years with a lot of people who have enjoyed it. It is on the smaller side,but that is typical for Rome.I know I have read good things about Hotel Navona, but am not familiar with it.I am of the other side of the coin...for a few nights I enjoy a hotel not dealing with an apt.,but that is just me.

Another vote for Hotel Smeraldo. The rooms are certainly small - it's an old building in an area of old buildings - but I found it comfortable and clean. Very quiet, too, somewhat to my surprise - I was overlooking the street and I wasn't disturbed at all. I liked it so much i'm going back for a couple of nights in April. Very close to Campo dei Fiore, a bit further to Piazza Navonna or (in a different direction) Tastevere, but comfortable walking distance to all of these.

I spent quite a long time last night searching for apartments; in our time frame, I couldn't find anything less expensive than what I have been quoted for the hotels mentioned. Looks like we are in the 140-150 euro range either way. I did see a B&B (maybe they have just one room) that looks intriguing, anyone heard of The Earl's House (La Casa del Conte)? A nice suite, no kitchen, and they give you a voucher for breakfast at the pub down the road--this may be a winner.

Archived