W. Med w/food allergies in port

bear5

We're celebrating our 10th anniversary with 5&7 y.o. kids on W. Med cruise early July. DS has severe food allergies (dairy, all nuts, egg). Will try and eat on board as much as possible by doing shorter excursions but Rome would be a challenge. Anyone with experience navigating Rome, France or Italy without dairy products in particular (figuring this would be hardest to avoid) would be much appreciated! Many thanks.

I wasn't going to at first but I think I'll order allergy cards to bring with us, even if I would only use it for 1-2 meals. We have traveled successfully with him to various US cities, E. Caribbean cruise and Hong Kong but not to Europe.

If anyone has restaurant suggestions (or even produce market/grocery store locations) close to major tourist sites, that would be much appreciated. We want to see some sites but hope not to see McD's or hospital ER.

I also answered this on your Family Board thread.

For DDtheYounger I made up laminated business cards with details of her nut allergies. You can also order them off the internet.

http://selectwisely.com/

Using these we never had a problem in Rome.

Italians are very good at allergy prevention. DDtheOlder has been studying in Rome with several friends that are Gluten intolerant for the past several years. While it's been difficult they have had minimal problems.

FWIW DD has found the public hospitals to be better than the private ones.

Markets are usually small and the signs are flat against the buildings making them hard to see. Despar, Billa and DOC are three of the chains to look for. For tourists - I know there is a Despar near the Pantheon and a Billa under the OVS (Oviesse) dept store in Trastevere.

There is usually a fine for taking food off the ships. Don't do it. They only thing allowed is packaged unopened food like the little boxes of cereal. This is for agriculture reasons and I'm sure they are more concerned about fruits and vegetables but passengers are forbidden from taking food off the ship.

Don't assume you don't get caught. There are cops with canines looking for all sorts of things in the port.

Last two cruises there were K-9s sniffing pax as they were debarking. People thought the dog was being nice when it sat down next to them.

That is until the uniformed guard told them to open their bags and give them the food.

Archived