Quebec City or Montreal?

Our cruise in the fall ends in Quebec City, and we're trying to decide if we should spend more time in Quebec City post cruise, or take the train down to Montreal and spend more time there instead. We have a total of 7 nights post cruise.. and will do at least 2 nights in each of those cities... but where to spend the other 3 nights? We will be flying home from Montreal, so that's where at least the last 2 nights will be spent.

What are the best things to do in each city? I'm open to suggestions.

You need more time in Montreal than in Quebec city. Quebec city is much smaller and more compact. Montreal is less about sights and more about doing, botanical gardens, neighbourhoods to visit, markets, restaurants, museums, etc.

There are other regions of Quebec to visit as well, like Tremblant and the active life up north.

Thanks for the responses and ideas... I think more time in Montreal is indeed the way to go - now I can get to work on booking the hotel in Quebec City (we'll be staying with relatives in Montreal). Now comes the hard part... convinving my husband we should stay at the Frontenac :D

Thanks for the responses and ideas... I think more time in Montreal is indeed the way to go - now I can get to work on booking the hotel in Quebec City (we'll be staying with relatives in Montreal). Now comes the hard part... convinving my husband we should stay at the Frontenac :D

there is also other great hotels in the old Quebec. You have to stay in the old quebec to really have the feel of it!!

there is also other great hotels in the old Quebec. You have to stay in the old quebec to really have the feel of it!!

I have to agree, we stayed in the Chateau Frontenac on our honeymoon MANY years ago. It was a fantastic place but it's price relative to other hotels in Old Quebec has increased considerably since then. A word of caution the last time we were in QC a few years ago, driving, we didn't book a room because we weren't sure what day we would be arriving. We found few places left in the old city and ended up staying in Levis, across the river, not bad for us as we've been there, but if it had been our only time we would have been disappointed. So plan to book ahead and you can always dine at the Frontenac to get a feel for it.

I have to agree, we stayed in the Chateau Frontenac on our honeymoon MANY years ago. It was a fantastic place but it's price relative to other hotels in Old Quebec has increased considerably since then. A word of caution the last time we were in QC a few years ago, driving, we didn't book a room because we weren't sure what day we would be arriving. We found few places left in the old city and ended up staying in Levis, across the river, not bad for us as we've been there, but if it had been our only time we would have been disappointed. So plan to book ahead and you can always dine at the Frontenac to get a feel for it.

Completely agree here! Book ahead! There is always something going on so book ahead! I don't remember the name exactly but last time we stayed in an hotel inside the walls, called Hotel Acadie, I think! It had an honeymoon suite on first level, not too pricey but very charming!

Montreal - Quebec City can be very hostile.

Please refer to the sticky on political statements. New York and Washington can be very hostile so what's your point? If you can't provide specifics that happened to you and not some story you've heard from a friend of a friend your statement adds nothing to the topic and in fact deters from it.

Now comes the hard part... convinving my husband we should stay at the Frontenac :D
A cheaper alternative to the Chateau Frontenac would be the Hotel de la Terrasse Dufferin. My wife and I stayed there once and it was a great little hotel in an outstanding location. It's right along the Dufferin Terrace Promenade and has wonderful views from the front facing rooms across the St. Lawrence River. It's practically next door to the Frontenac for a fraction of the cost.

A cheaper alternative to the Chateau Frontenac would be the Hotel de la Terrasse Dufferin. My wife and I stayed there once and it was a great little hotel in an outstanding location. It's right along the Dufferin Terrace Promenade and has wonderful views from the front facing rooms across the St. Lawrence River. It's practically next door to the Frontenac for a fraction of the cost.

Great suggeston!:D

Archived