The definitive Cheers program Thread

pbsteve

It is a shame that Carnival does not make exceptions to the "everyone in the cabin" rule. I am traveling with my parents, who are 87 and 90, and diabetic. There is no way they can drink, and I am sure I am going to need to!

It would probably be cheaper to book a second cabin right by yours instead of buying the cheers program for all of you.

There's been a lot of cheers threads, I've even made one, I figured if we could get all the FAQ in one place, we could help keep questions from being answered all day every day over and over. I've pulled these questions from existing threads from users, including myself. Answers confirmed by Carnival before posting (as of 2/18/2012). If I missed anything, please PM me, or ask, and I have no problem calling carnival to find out their answer and adding it to the list.

FAQ:

QUESTION: How much will I pay for Cheers?

A: You will pay $49.40USD For EVERY person in your cabin who is over 21 years old, EACH night you are on a cruise.

This means even if your cabin mate doesn't drink, you will still pay for them to be on the cheers program. Keep in mind that you do NOT pay for Disembarkment day, and you can sign up on the second day on board, paying for only that day through the last day, but you will be charged for each drink you order before you signed up separately.

EXAMPLE #1: You and your wife are cruising on the Freedom, on a 6 night cruise, and sign up for Cheers on the first day. You will pay $592.80 for the program. ($494 if you sign up on the second day)

EXAMPLE #2: You sail with your 19 year old daughter on a 6 night cruise, and sign up you pay $296.40. ($247.00 if you sign up on the second day)

am.

Good information but the prices have changed on most ships, may want to up date. Also, the program can not be used on private islands anymore.

UPDATE May 19, 2013: The “Cheers” Bar program pricing was changed on some ships. There are also some changes in the Carnival’s policy – the “Cheers” package can not be used at private islands anymore (Half Moon Cay or CocoCay/Little Stirrup Cay). The new Carnival Cheers program price is US$49,95 plus 15% gratuity, which is $57,45 per person per day, or US$402 for a 7-day cruise.

UPDATE June 2013 – only Carnival Legend and Carnival Sunshine have the original prices.

Edited by caribbean dreams

I don't normally drink enough each day to make the package worthwhile. But, my husband is diabetic and doesn't drink, so I guess it doesn't matter what I think.

We did take a Celebrity Cruise in January of 2013 I what I actually bought was their premium non-alcohol package. For approx. $18 per day (they were running a sale) I got all the non-alcohol specialty coffees, sodas, and waters per day etc. I definitely got my money's worth there. Then I paid for my two or three drinks a day and definitely saved money over the full package.

But with the special that the classic is included, go for it.

When it's just my husband and I, it will be Celebrity from now on...But when it's family trips with the 20 somethings, we'll stay on Carnival. To each his hown.

It is a shame that Carnival does not make exceptions to the "everyone in the cabin" rule. I am traveling with my parents, who are 87 and 90, and diabetic. There is no way they can drink, and I am sure I am going to need to!

The problem with giving one person an exception is that everyone will expect an exception. I'm glad they are finally sticking with at least one rule they have created and enforcing it across the board.

That's my complaint about the program as well. I wish they would do away with the policy that every adult in a cabin must purchase it.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

My belief is that policy is specifically in place to keep people from sharing (stealing). Just imagine how many times a DW would say "I don't drink that much so I'm not going to buy the program" and then ask DH to grab her a drink on his Cheers card? We all know this would happen, look at the threads here about the Bottomless Bubbles program and how many people from the same cabin not only share those cards but think it's okay as well?

Edited by Out to sea!

My belief is that policy is specifically in place to keep people from sharing (stealing). Just imagine how many times a DW would say "I don't drink that much so I'm not going to buy the program" and then ask DH to grab her a drink on his Cheers card? We all know this would happen, look at the threads here about the Bottomless Bubbles program and how many people from the same cabin not only share those cards but think it's okay as well?

I think the difference to the bottomless bubbles is the first word. You can get unlimited drinks. I have done booze cruises in the past. A large group and each person in the group had to buy the drink card but it was unlimited. With the Cheers program you are limited to 15 drinks I think that is a bit different. Even if you share you are not getting more than 15 drinks.

You pay only the tax on the drinks that you purchase in port (or US waters). You do not pay tax on the Cheers program.

If you have the Cheers program and you are still in port, a $9.00 drink will cost you approx. $0.50 or $0.75. The base drink price and 15% gratuity are covered.

You pay only the tax on the drinks that you purchase in port (or US waters). You do not pay tax on the Cheers program.

If you have the Cheers program and you are still in port, a $9.00 drink will cost you approx. $0.50 or $0.75. The base drink price and 15% gratuity are covered.

However, if you buy the Cheers program while IN PORT you WILL pay the SALES TAX on it. If you wait until out of the USA waters then you won't.

Edited by jaxfl

However, if you buy the Cheers program while IN PORT you WILL pay the SALES TAX on it. If you wait until out of the USA waters then you won't.

No you don't. You only pay tax on individual drinks ordered.

And if you sail from Galveston you can't buy until the second day...

I understand their reasoning behind the policy, and yes it has to do with sharing ( stealing ). But that policy does not work as well you might think. Example, lets say my wife wants the cheers but I don't, but if she gets it I have to as well. Do you think I'm going to buy it and just let it go to waste ? No, if I'm not a big drinker I will just share mine with other people.

I understand their reasoning behind the policy, and yes it has to do with sharing ( stealing ). But that policy does not work as well you might think. Example, lets say my wife wants the cheers but I don't, but if she gets it I have to as well. Do you think I'm going to buy it and just let it go to waste ? No, if I'm not a big drinker I will just share mine with other people.

So your bar bill for actual consumption for your wife and you would be a lot lower if you dont drink much. Why buy Cheers at all? You are buying it so you can buy drinks for others? I'm not getting this I guess :) Let your wife drink what she wants, you drink what you want and if you still want to buy drinks for others do it. You don't need cheers to do that. Cheers isnt for everyone.

So your bar bill for actual consumption for your wife and you would be a lot lower if you dont drink much. Why buy Cheers at all? You are buying it so you can buy drinks for others? I'm not getting this I guess :) Let your wife drink what she wants, you drink what you want and if you still want to buy drinks for others do it. You don't need cheers to do that. Cheers isnt for everyone.

Where did I say my bill would be lower without it ? My wife and I did purchase it, we did save money, and only I hit the limit one day. And just so you are straight on things, I used my wife and I as an example only. But what I am saying is there will be people who will purchase the program, they will still save money, and they will still share. If for no other reason than because they feel like they need to get back at Carnival. Now lets forget about it being a husband an wife, lets just say it's you and a friend cruising together, your friend wants it but you don't. Being the good friend you are you purchase it so your friend can, maybe you'll save as well maybe you won't, but either way you might share. How about the previous poster going with her elderly parents, she will benefit from it, they won't. It's just not as cut n dry ad you think.

If I wait until international waters, will they credit back the drinks I buy before then onto the Cheers programme?

:confused:

You don't have to wait for international waters. We paid the Cheers price plus 15% gratuity in port. There is not a tax on the Cheers program ONLY individual drinks in US waters.

Where did I say my bill would be lower without it ? My wife and I did purchase it, we did save money, and only I hit the limit one day. And just so you are straight on things, I used my wife and I as an example only. But what I am saying is there will be people who will purchase the program, they will still save money, and they will still share. If for no other reason than because they feel like they need to get back at Carnival. Now lets forget about it being a husband an wife, lets just say it's you and a friend cruising together, your friend wants it but you don't. Being the good friend you are you purchase it so your friend can, maybe you'll save as well maybe you won't, but either way you might share. How about the previous poster going with her elderly parents, she will benefit from it, they won't. It's just not as cut n dry ad you think.

I used your example that you gave of you and your wife. Sorry. In that example you asked if we thought you would buy it and let it go to waste. I "assumed" (I know I know lol) thats what you actually meant. So my suggestion was not to buy it then if it doesnt work for you. I understand what you are saying now.