The definitive Cheers program Thread

pbsteve

We just did the 6 Day Breeze and me and my DH bought the Cheers program. We decided we would benefit because we only had a half day in Grand Turk and planned on staying on the ship in Nassau, so the only day off the ship was Ocho Rios. We waited until after we set sail to purchase to avoid the 6% FL sales tax. We did pay taxes on drinks we ordered while in FL, but the drink charge and the gratuity were credited back to us. Every drink you order shows on your S&S account and then they give you the credit for it. We only hit the 15 limit on 1 sea day at midnight while in the comedy club so it wasn't a problem for us. One day at the pool, I ordered a margarita from one of the servers. It was too sweet for my liking so when I just ordered a shot of tequila. Since he was walking around, it took 5 minutes before he put in the next order so the 5 minute thing was never an issue. On our 1st day, my DH made the mistake of ordering a round of drinks for himself, me and my MIL (which I warned him not to do) so when they put the credits through after we purchased Cheers, he only got credited for 1 of the 3 drinks. We went down to Guest Services and asked them to move those charges to our respective S&S accounts and so that all got sorted out. I calculated that we saved about $500 between my and my DH. Here is what we ordered ona typical sea day :

A.M Bloody Mary - $10

Afternoon @ Pool 3-4 cocktails (Bacardi & diet coke, Margarita, Mojitos) $7.50-$10

Pre-dinner Martini : $10

Pre-dinner wine* : $10

Wine with dinner : $30 (3 glasses)

After dinner drinks/wine @ Piano Bar or comedy club 1-2 : $10/$20

* We learned that if we wanted a glass of wine in the MDR before our entrees were delivered, we walked in with a glass of wine because the bar servers in the MDR were slow and hard to find.

We also ordered the better wines and spirits which I might not have if we did not do the Cheers program.

When you have the Cheers Program you can purchase drinks at all bars, lounges and restaurants but not through Room Service right?

No room service, no mini bar and no longer accepted on Half Moon Cay. It's good at all bars on board for any alcoholic drink that is 9.95 or less before tip and does not come in a special glass.

We just did the 6 Day Breeze and me and my DH bought the Cheers program. We decided we would benefit because we only had a half day in Grand Turk and planned on staying on the ship in Nassau, so the only day off the ship was Ocho Rios. We waited until after we set sail to purchase to avoid the 6% FL sales tax. We did pay taxes on drinks we ordered while in FL, but the drink charge and the gratuity were credited back to us. Every drink you order shows on your S&S account and then they give you the credit for it. We only hit the 15 limit on 1 sea day at midnight while in the comedy club so it wasn't a problem for us. One day at the pool, I ordered a margarita from one of the servers. It was too sweet for my liking so when I just ordered a shot of tequila. Since he was walking around, it took 5 minutes before he put in the next order so the 5 minute thing was never an issue. On our 1st day, my DH made the mistake of ordering a round of drinks for himself, me and my MIL (which I warned him not to do) so when they put the credits through after we purchased Cheers, he only got credited for 1 of the 3 drinks. We went down to Guest Services and asked them to move those charges to our respective S&S accounts and so that all got sorted out. I calculated that we saved about $500 between my and my DH. Here is what we ordered ona typical sea day :

A.M Bloody Mary - $10

Afternoon @ Pool 3-4 cocktails (Bacardi & diet coke, Margarita, Mojitos) $7.50-$10

Thank you for that!! Reading what others experiences with the program are - especially when they break it down the way you did - makes it a lot easier to make the decision to go with the Cheers program. We have a lot of port day and something planned in all ports - but I'm thinking it's still going to be worth it for us!

Just returned two days ago from a 8 day cruise on the Breeze. I signed up for it the minute we got on the ship right at the lobby bar. We paid 49.95 plus the gratuities. No taxes. The taxes were only on per drink as you ordered the drinks ranged anywhere between 58 cents to 74 cents depending on how much your drink was. once we sailed away and were so many miles away from Miami we then paid no taxes at all. All the receipts you must sign and the total is $0. We definitely got our monies worth. Hubby and I went over the 15 drinks on two days. That is because when we ordered some drinks for example Margaritas or Pina Coladas we ordered shots of either Patron or Spiced Rum. so that counted as two. The bar tenders and waiters would bring both drinks at the same time but only bring one receipt then 5 minutes later would bring the 2nd receipt but we always got our drink and shot together at the same time. Also as far as the Specialty coffees go. If you order the specialty coffee with a shot of something for example Kahlua, Irish creme, Jamison, patron cafe etc then the coffee was included. strange but true. I had a daily routine, afternoon cappuccino with whipped creme and Irish Creme and after dinner espresso with patron cafe. It has only been two days and I miss it already lol. This was my experience on the Breeze. So for us it was worth every penny, and always ordered top shelf alcohol

If you order drinks when you are up lounging up on deck do they actually take your card with them?They used to just write down the number and give you back your card.

Laura

They still just write the number down

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Just returned two days ago from a 8 day cruise on the Breeze. I signed up for it the minute we got on the ship right at the lobby bar. We paid 49.95 plus the gratuities. No taxes. The taxes were only on per drink as you ordered the drinks ranged anywhere between 58 cents to 74 cents depending on how much your drink was. once we sailed away and were so many miles away from Miami we then paid no taxes at all. All the receipts you must sign and the total is $0. We definitely got our monies worth. Hubby and I went over the 15 drinks on two days. That is because when we ordered some drinks for example Margaritas or Pina Coladas we ordered shots of either Patron or Spiced Rum. so that counted as two. The bar tenders and waiters would bring both drinks at the same time but only bring one receipt then 5 minutes later would bring the 2nd receipt but we always got our drink and shot together at the same time. Also as far as the Specialty coffees go. If you order the specialty coffee with a shot of something for example Kahlua, Irish creme, Jamison, patron cafe etc then the coffee was included. strange but true. I had a daily routine, afternoon cappuccino with whipped creme and Irish Creme and after dinner espresso with patron cafe. It has only been two days and I miss it already lol. This was my experience on the Breeze. So for us it was worth every penny, and always ordered top shelf alcohol

So you were able to purchase drinks after hitting the 15 limit?

Another question about Cheers... Sailing out of Galveston means we can't purchase until the second day - does that mean we are only charged for 6 days of the 7 day cruise? It's budget time for me ;)

Another question about Cheers... Sailing out of Galveston means we can't purchase until the second day - does that mean we are only charged for 6 days of the 7 day cruise? It's budget time for me ;)

You are correct...purchasing on day 2 is an option on the other ships that are participating in the program, but because of the quirky Texas liquor monopoly policy, it seems like it's mandatory sailing out of Galveston, so you'll save a little money.

Sailing from Galveston - what's the best way to have drinks the first day and not pay through the nose? Any ideas? I'm assuming they don't adjust the Cheers program "backwards"?

Sailing from Galveston - what's the best way to have drinks the first day and not pay through the nose? Any ideas? I'm assuming they don't adjust the Cheers program "backwards"?

I've heard some say they do go backwards...and I've heard they have refused to do so....maybe just drink your wine you bring on board that first day...

Do a search on the boards....rum runners.....happy reading. :)

We're thinking of using Cheers on our Dream cruise this Nov. Glad to hear that there is no tax added to the program when purchased the first day in port. We enjoy the adult beverages while cruising and although I don't think we'll make it the 15 drink minimum, we'll save money.

We've never tried rum runners, but have used other means to bring alcohol on board.

I'm sure there will be repercussions for using rum runners. Increase in fun, money in pocket, increase in exercise if you leave the RR in your room, and if used too much, a headache. Carnival does loose some income when rum runners are used, but most people that illegally bring alcohol on board, still purchase drinks.

When I see the other AF stripes in a thread, I know there's probably a lecture taking place.:eek:

We're thinking of using Cheers on our Dream cruise this Nov. Glad to hear that there is no tax added to the program when purchased the first day in port. We enjoy the adult beverages while cruising and although I don't think we'll make it the 15 drink minimum, we'll save money.

We've never tried rum runners, but have used other means to bring alcohol on board.

I'm sure there will be repercussions for using rum runners. Increase in fun, money in pocket, increase in exercise if you leave the RR in your room, and if used too much, a headache. Carnival does loose some income when rum runners are used, but most people that illegally bring alcohol on board, still purchase drinks.

When I see the other AF stripes in a thread, I know there's probably a lecture taking place.:eek:

And I find it hard to believe that anyone who advocates breaking the rules ever made it to SNCO status. I feel for the troops who had to endure your leadership style ("Do as I say, not as I do"). :(

Edited by Out to sea!

And I find it hard to believe that anyone who advocates breaking the rules ever made it to SNCO status. I feel for the troops who had to endure your leadership style ("Do as I say, not as I do"). :(

You're so silly, I knew you would come up with some funny, holier that thou quote.:rolleyes: Don't worry, I'm still counseling SNCO's (and a few O's) as a civil servant. I know many airman that I supervised that are now E-7's, E-8's and E-9's, a few I now work for. They have told me how much my mentoring helped them. I even have a few prior enlisted that I mentored, that are now O's flying heavy's.

The subject was Cheers and a remark on RR's. You made your point on breaking the rules and I made a joke about it. Lighten up son, you'll live longer and those around you will probably appreciate you more.

A.M Bloody Mary - $10

Thank you for that!! Reading what others experiences with the program are - especially when they break it down the way you did - makes it a lot easier to make the decision to go with the Cheers program. We have a lot of port day and something planned in all ports - but I'm thinking it's still going to be worth it for us!

After you guys hit 15 drinks could you still purchase drinks ?

After you guys hit 15 drinks could you still purchase drinks ?

The answer to that has been overwhelming no...although there has been the odd report of people saying yes they could still "purchase" a drink. But that seems to be earlier when they changed the program and perhaps staff were not yet familiar with the new rules. So, I wouldn't count on it. If you find a staff member that is willing to do so, it would not be the norm. You are supposed to be cut off....completely....until the new day starts :)

You're so silly, I knew you would come up with some funny, holier that thou quote.:rolleyes: Don't worry, I'm still counseling SNCO's (and a few O's) as a civil servant. I know many airman that I supervised that are now E-7's, E-8's and E-9's, a few I now work for. They have told me how much my mentoring helped them. I even have a few prior enlisted that I mentored, that are now O's flying heavy's.

The subject was Cheers and a remark on RR's. You made your point on breaking the rules and I made a joke about it. Lighten up son, you'll live longer and those around you will probably appreciate you more.

Considering my father never made E-7 (went from E-3 to O-1 and eventually O-3), I know you're not my father so kindly don't call me "son". In no way, shape, fashion or form is it close to being true in any since of the word. And I have to wonder if the degradation of the military has to do with this so-called mentoring??? Hope they are not listening or following your belief that it is okay to break the rules when you feel like it. BTW, I'm about as "light" as I'm going to get, maybe you should start getting a little "heavier" and understand that rules are there for a reason and are meant to be respected and followed. :rolleyes:

OMG guys - get over it. We're talking about the Cheers program. Let's stick to that subject. Reading this thread causes me to need a DRINK.

It would have been nice for you to note with your suggestion that Rum Runners are a violation of Carnival rules and can have repercussions if used.

And if he took my advice and did the search, he would have read all the pros and cons and comments from people that are on opposite sides regarding the topic. All I did was lead him to the stream, I did not encourage him to drink. ;)