Princess refund for cancelling Natural History Tour?

Cap'n Jack

I appreciate all of the advice. After giving it further thought, I think we may just use the pre cruise time to check out Anchorage & Seward and do a Kenai Fjords cruise etc. Thanks for all the help. It is what it is, and we'll just plan on spending more time in Denali on the next trip. :) We are still very much looking forward to all that we will see in Alaska.

OK...so yes...I too am one of the ones who booked the cruise tour before reading the boards!

I'm taking my mom to Alaska in June aboard the Island Princess with a 3 day land tour up to denali and train back. I'm working on tours for the port days and just figured that this cruise tour was taking care of the mt. mckinley and denali portions...

I guess I am wrong to assume this??

This natural history tour isnt going to get us into denali?? I have to get into Denail...I'm not going all the way there just to get a view of the hotel! Is the tour no good? Should i do something else??

My other problem is my mom is 70 with a bad hip so I have to limit her walking.

As far as cruise ports:

Skagway: Chilkoot?

Juneau: Harv and Marv? Recommend a good helicopter company for glacier walking and dog sleeding?

Ketchikan: Island Wings?

Vancouver: ??

Love you guys

Todd

I'm taking my mom to Alaska in June aboard the Island Princess with a 3 day land tour up to denali and train back. I'm working on tours for the port days and just figured that this cruise tour was taking care of the mt. mckinley and denali portions...

This natural history tour isnt going to get us into denali?? I have to get into Denail...I'm not going all the way there just to get a view of the hotel! Is the tour no good? Should i do something else??

As far as cruise ports:

Juneau: Harv and Marv? Recommend a good helicopter company for glacier walking and dog sleeding?

Love you guys

Todd

Yes you are wrong to assume your "Denali" and McKinley" are set. Far from it. If you are prior to final payment, you may want to cancel your tour.

What do you expect with your "McKinley" reference? Mt. McKinley is rarely viewable. If you wish to see it, you really need to consider booking a flight. this lodge is out in the middle of nowhere- is that what you are looking for? Very little to do there as well. Most of the touring options are an hour away out of Talkeetna.

Are you familiar with what Denali is? You state you didn't book this tour, not to get into the park? But that is what you did. http://www.nps.gov/dena look specifically at the bus descriptions. Take a look at the park map. The Park Road is 90 miles. At the least- I would never consider any less access than mile 66 Eielson. You have purchased NHT which goes to mile 17, mostly public road- biggest kick is the park service, has a FREE Savage River shuttle bus- with rangers going to the same place. It's an "add on" feature of Denali Park, not the priority, for me.

You need to specifically list your cruisetour, which needs to include the hotel location and mode of transfer. There may be alternatives I can suggest, but the warning will be- few people are willing to improve what they have, and make the "excuse" for themselves (I don't buy it) all the more reason to return etc. A thought to consider- time ticks by on a one way street. I don't waste my time. I live for today and do exactly what I wish. You need to determine, which path you wish to take. :)

Final opinion of mine- yes the Natural History tour is a complete waste of time.

As far as cruise ports:

Love you guys

Todd

Are these your mother's and your interests? These are some of the popular choices, nothing wrong they are top tour choices indeed. But sometimes people might book these when interests are more, elsewhere. :)

In Juneau there are 3 helicopter companies that do the glacier dog sledding, 2 are ship contracted. I have flown with all three. All are well run, well established companies. I never would hesitate to book with any of them. TEMSCO, ERA, Coastal.

Be certain, to have back up plans, know what else would be of interest to you. Have contact numbers for tours of interest. Know ahead, IF you would like to just take a regular glacier helicopter flight if offered.

OK...so yes...I too am one of the ones who booked the cruise tour before reading the boards!

As far as cruise ports:

Love you guys

Todd

Although Harv and Marv gets great reviews for their tours, there have been comments made that their boats aren't the easiest to get into if you have mobility issues. Perhaps you should look at another option. Orca gets good reviews also.

If the train is a priority in Skagway, Chilkoot is a great company. We did their Bennett Scenic Journey and it was amazing. The only walking is what you choose to do. You will have a lunch stop and you can walk around there, which is a lovely area. However, your mother does not have to walk. When you take the bus back down to Skagway, it will make numerous stops, but again, if your mother wants to stay on the bus, she is surely free to do that. On our tour, I was the only person on our bus that got off at every stop. The bus has huge windows so your mother will be able to see and enjoy the scenery from the comforts of the bus.

Island Wings as well as several other companies get rave reviews for a floatplane tour of Misty Fjords.

A lot Vancouver does involve walking, so not sure what your mother would like to do. We loved Stanley Park. Vancouver does have the hop on hop off bus which could take you around. If you didn't want to, you could stay on the bus. If your mother is up to getting off at any of the stops you can do that and then pick up another bus when you are done in the area.

http://www.city-discovery.com/vancouver/tour.php?id=8106

As far as Denali, as BQ requested, please post your exact itinerary, in order to get some suggestions. We can speculate as to what your tour includes and doesn't include, but unless you post your details, we really can't be for help.

Thank you so much for the advice! I paid for the entire cruise already so no turning back now. I'm ok with it.

The cruise tour portion:

Has us on a coach to Mckinley princess lodge arriving at 12:30 with the afternoon at leisure. So this is why I asked about an excursion. I assume that since I am at their lodge I have to book a tour with them and I'm ok with that.

I'm told that I can switch my NHT to a Kantishna Experience tour which I also assume is a princess guided tour. I will do some research and try to do that.

I will definitely do a chilkoot tour as you recommend. Bennett Scenic Journey sounds fine.

My mom told me she is more mobile than I think so I will stick with harv and marv i think but also want to do the temsco, ERA, or coastal option for the other half the day. Got to dog sled!

Will do Island Wings with Michelle in Ketchikan for sure.

Vancouver....hop on hop off bus sounds perfect for us at the end of this long trip. I know she will be exhausted.

Todd

I'm told that I can switch my NHT to a Kantishna Experience tour which I also assume is a princess guided tour. I will do some research and try to do that.

This is NOT a "Princess" tour. You also need to book this in advance. There are only 2 buses per day, with it- frequently sold out. This is also assuming you have two nights at the Denali Princess and you are going after the first week of June. You have only one day for this. So get that NHT refund NOW and book this tour, through Princess, so you have transportation direct with the bus.

Be WELL prepared, if going prior to mid August with bug protection. Sorry, not the "off" kid stuff, but 100% Deet- stuff.

Edited by Budget Queen

Thank you so much for the advice! I paid for the entire cruise already so no turning back now. I'm ok with it.

The cruise tour portion:

Has us on a coach to Mckinley princess lodge arriving at 12:30 with the afternoon at leisure. So this is why I asked about an excursion. I assume that since I am at their lodge I have to book a tour with them and I'm ok with that.

It's the final payment date that allows refunds or not, not that you paid in full.

McKinley Lodge is an hour from Talkeetna, so make your plans with that in mind. You do NOT have to stay with "Princess tours", they are just acting as a booking agent and "run" no tours from this lodge. Flightseeing is probably the most popular, and likely the only way to see McKinley.

• 9 months later...

I wanted to cancel our Natural History Denali Tour with Princess and book the Tundra Wilderness Tour through the National Parks Service; however, the NPS does NOT assign departure times until 1 week before tours. We could take the 5 AM tour and still be back in time to catch our tour bus, but the ranger said we are not guaranteed a time. There are no refunds either, so if I book the 4 of us, I might be out over $500. Guess I'm stuck taking the NH tour. I'm disappointed because everyone on the message board raved about the longer tour and said what a terrible tour the NH is! My only other choice is to wait until a few days before and call to see if there are any openings. That sounds risky.

Just book a regular shuttle bus, forget the TWT. You can book specific times for the shuttle. We felt the bus was quite comfortable, both our drivers on each day we went into the park were very well versed and interacted with the passengers providing commentary along the way.Unless there is a specific reason that you want the TWT, I'd give the shuttle bus schedule a gander before resigning myself to the NHT.

I wanted to cancel our Natural History Denali Tour with Princess and book the Tundra Wilderness Tour through the National Parks Service; however, the NPS does NOT assign departure times until 1 week before tours. We could take the 5 AM tour and still be back in time to catch our tour bus, but the ranger said we are not guaranteed a time. There are no refunds either, so if I book the 4 of us, I might be out over $500. Guess I'm stuck taking the NH tour. I'm disappointed because everyone on the message board raved about the longer tour and said what a terrible tour the NH is! My only other choice is to wait until a few days before and call to see if there are any openings. That sounds risky.

This may have changed since we took the TWT, but the tour is run by Aramark, not the NPS.

http://www.reservedenali.com/

Thanks for the Shuttle Bus suggestion; however, the Ranger said the Shuttle times would not be available until 1 week before, so we're in the same boat with the TWT. I'm nervous about going to Denali with zero tours confirmed because if everything is already booked, then we've just wasted all our time to go to Denali. I wonder how many other visitors have been able to sign up at the last

Thanks for the Shuttle Bus suggestion; however, the Ranger said the Shuttle times would not be available until 1 week before, so we're in the same boat with the TWT. I'm nervous about going to Denali with zero tours confirmed because if everything is already booked, then we've just wasted all our time to go to Denali. I wonder how many other visitors have been able to sign up at the last

You were given incorrect information. Please go to this site: http://www.reservedenali.com/ and you can reserve either a tour or a shuttle bus. I just got done trying to book a random date in July for both a tour and a shuttle and was able to do that.

I DID go to that website. I had everything entered and ready to hit the final button when I read the cancellation policy. Then, I thought, "I'd better call them directly." That's when the guy explained that the times are approximate--there is a range of time slots and we would not be guaranteed an exact time until 1 week before the tour. At that point, if we didn't get the time we needed, we'd miss the trip and be out over $500. Yes, it looks like you can choose a time on the TWT, but on the Natl History Tour, it does say that the times are approximate. Did you actually talk to someone or were you just looking only at the website http://www.reservedenali.com? I'm anxious to hear back from you!

This probly won't help you much but....

when I called to book the TWT it was full for our date. I asked about a waiting list. No, don't keep one. What about cancellations? Cancellations become available 8 days before the date requested.

Good enough.

We boarded the ship....visited Ketchikan and then Juneau. Juneau was exactly 8 days before the date we requested.

Hello, are there any cancellations for the TWT on August xx?

Yes, there are six for the 6:40 am departure.

Good, I want two for the 6:40 am departure.

When we arrived at (princess) denali, I walked over to the XX* hotel where Aramark had their ticket office, picked up our tickets....the rest is history.

Please do what fits your comfort level. I would book and pay for the date/time that you need. Then monitor your booking. If it looks like your preferred time is slipping away (not likely), call and discuss it. Even cancel if you have to. You can cancel up to 8 days prior with a minimal cancellation fee.

Worried that you will have nothing to do at Denali? You can ALWAYS get on the NHT.

The thing is, for the next couple of months, cruise lines and tour companies will be filling up those TWT seats (if not already) and you will be looking for 'cancellations', like I was.

This may have changed since we took the TWT, but the tour is run by Aramark, not the NPS.

http://www.reservedenali.com/

It has always been that way and will be at least through next year when the contract is up again for renewal.

The TWT times are a "range" but the shuttle bus departure times are fixed. 100% fixed. As good as guaranteed.

I DID go to that website. I had everything entered and ready to hit the final button when I read the cancellation policy. Then, I thought, "I'd better call them directly." That's when the guy explained that the times are approximate--there is a range of time slots and we would not be guaranteed an exact time until 1 week before the tour. At that point, if we didn't get the time we needed, we'd miss the trip and be out over $500. Yes, it looks like you can choose a time on the TWT, but on the Natl History Tour, it does say that the times are approximate. Did you actually talk to someone or were you just looking only at the website www.reservedenali.com? I'm anxious to hear back from you!

If you are looking at $500 cancellation, you are looking at TOUR buses and not SHUTTLE buses. Plain and simple. The shuttle bus to Eielson costs something like $40 round trip with a $4 cancel/change fee if you cancel a day or two in advance. The only issue with the shuttle buses is the return time. They are approximate. Most of the time they return on time, but certainly not always.