Who's Dorothy? And why...

CanadianMAG

When we were in Key West in October 1997, we stayed at the Sheraton. That was headquarters for the Fantasyfest Queen contestants. Boy, did we get an eye full from our balcony overlooking the pool area. I did get a picture of Mrs. Max with the person selected Queen of Fantasyfest.

Cheers

General Max

bepsf, are you on the left or right side? I need more info to find you...:)

And Can Tex, I'm glad for your input. You know, it reminds me of the old 'some of my friends are....' Even the best intentions can be misguided. ALL of us need to be better educated in so many areas...I don't even think it has to do with being politically correct. It's a matter of exposure and the desire to look at the world with broad, considerate, tolerant eyes.

"It's a matter of exposure and the desire to look at the world with broad, considerate, tolerant eyes."

Caribbean Girl - couldn't agree more.. a pity we can't bring that same attitude to the discussion on dress code.. *S*

[quote name='michmike']"It's a matter of exposure and the desire to look at the world with broad, considerate, tolerant eyes."

Caribbean Girl - couldn't agree more.. a pity we can't bring that same attitude to the discussion on dress code.. *S*[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I was actually getting ready for someone to beat me up. Here's the text from a card a dear friend sent to me recently.

"The world in which you were born is just one model of reality.
Other cultures are not failed attempts at being you;
they are unique manisfestations of the human spirit".
Wade Davis

[font=Georgia][size=3]CaribbeanGirl--[/size][/font]

[font=Georgia][size=3][/size][/font]
[font=Georgia][size=3]I'm on the left - I'm the receding hairline and sunglasses behind a blue baseball cap standing behind the guy in the white shirt - and my pal Joe is the guy w/ sunglasses and a goatee two heads behind mine...[/size][/font]
[font=Georgia][size=3]...and thanks for sharing your quote of wisdom.[/size][/font]
[font=Georgia][size=3]CanTex --[/size][/font]
[font=Georgia][size=3]I love that quote too! Which movie is that from?[/size][/font]
[font=Georgia][size=3]Heather --[/size][/font]
[font=Georgia][size=3]Please forgive me if ever in the future I forget and offer you a cocktail instead of a cool refreshing drink - I'll probably remember the moment I close my big yap![/size][/font]
;)

[quote name='CanTex']Please, I know you had the best of intentions in your response but you hit a nerve on something is that just as upsetting to many gay / lesbian people.

My life is not my lifestyle. I don't live according to a stereotype any more than a straight person.

I once heard a good line in a movie: Being gay is my life. Owning a golf condo in Boca Raton is a lifestyle.[/QUOTE]

[font=Book Antiqua][size=3][color=navy]Here is the definition of the word "lifestyle": [i][b]"A way of life or style of living that reflects the attitudes and values of a person or group" [/b][/i][/color][/size][/font]

[font=Book Antiqua][size=3][color=navy]I'm sorry the word upsets you, but it really shouldn't. You have a lifestyle, I have a lifestyle ... everyone does. You took offense at something you shouldn't have. I often tell people that I love the "lifestyle" here in Florida which means I like the way of life.[/color][/size][/font]
[b][/b]
[font=Book Antiqua][size=3][color=navy]Had I said "alternative" or "non-conventional" lifestyle (which I neither believe nor said) I would understand why you're offended, but the term "lifestyle" is a perfectly good word.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Book Antiqua][size=3][color=#000080]Still, I am sorry that you personally were offended. Since I have neighbors who are Gay and use the word in this way, it never occurred to me it would offend anyone.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Book Antiqua][size=3][color=#000080][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Book Antiqua][size=3][color=#000080]I'm not quite clear as to how it is better to use words like "tolerant". In my eyes we are all equal. I lead a heterosexual "lifestyle" and you lead a homosexual "lifestyle". I would hope that neither of us "tolerate" each other, but rather just live together.[/color][/size][/font]

[quote name='bepsf'][font=Georgia][size=3].......................[/size][/font]

[font=Georgia][size=3]Please forgive me if ever in the future I forget and offer you a cocktail instead of a cool refreshing drink - I'll probably remember the moment I close my big yap![/size][/font]
;)[/QUOTE]

[font=Book Antiqua][size=3][color=navy]Brian, I 'm not sure I understand this. But I am never in the least offended when someone offers me a "cocktail". But I don't drink so I have turn it down. C'est la vie.[/color][/size][/font]

It's from the movie "Common Ground." It was on TV about 5 years ago and is available on DVD.

[quote name='bepsf'][font=Georgia][size=3]CaribbeanGirl--[/size][/font]

[font=Georgia][size=3]I'm on the left - I'm the receding hairline and sunglasses behind a blue baseball cap standing behind the guy in the white shirt - and my pal Joe is the guy w/ sunglasses and a goatee two heads behind mine...[/size][/font]

[font=Georgia][size=3]...and thanks for sharing your quote of wisdom.[/size][/font]

[font=Georgia][size=3]I love that quote too! Which movie is that from?[/size][/font]

;)[/QUOTE]

Another quote: "Does a dog live the lifestyle of a dog, or a dog's life?"

And while I'm on the topic of dogs -- we have a Bichon Frise too (14 week old puppy), so that part of our lives we have in common!

[quote name='HeatherInFlorida'][font=Book Antiqua][size=3][color=navy]Here is the definition of the word "lifestyle": [i][b]"A way of life or style of living that reflects the attitudes and values of a person or group" [/b][/i][/color][/size][/font]

[font=Book Antiqua][size=3][color=navy]I'm sorry the word upsets you, but it really shouldn't. You have a lifestyle, I have a lifestyle ... everyone does. You took offense at something you shouldn't have. I often tell people that I love the "lifestyle" here in Florida which means I like the way of life.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Book Antiqua][size=3][color=navy]Had I said "alternative" or "non-conventional" lifestyle (which I neither believe nor said) I would understand why you're offended, but the term "lifestyle" is a perfectly good word.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Book Antiqua][size=3][color=#000080]Still, I am sorry that you personally were offended. Since I have neighbors who are Gay and use the word in this way, it never occurred to me it would offend anyone.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Book Antiqua][size=3][color=#000080]I'm not quite clear as to how it is better to use words like "tolerant". In my eyes we are all equal. I lead a heterosexual "lifestyle" and you lead a homosexual "lifestyle". I would hope that neither of us "tolerate" each other, but rather just live together.[/color][/size][/font][/QUOTE]

[quote name='bepsf'][font=Georgia][size=3]CaribbeanGirl--[/size][/font]

;)[/QUOTE]

Now I see you!!:)

In my dictionary, (Webster's New World Dictionary), the word 'tolerant' is defined as "having or showing tolerance of others' beliefs, practices, etc" and the word 'tolerance' is defined as "a) a tolerating or being tolerant esp. of views, beliefs, practices, etc of others that differ from one's own b) freedom from bigotry or prejudice". These are the meanings I was wishing to convey. You say 'lifestyle'. I say 'tolerance'.

[quote name='CanTex']Another quote: "Does a dog live the lifestyle of a dog, or a dog's life?"

[font=Book Antiqua][size=3][color=navy]And while I'm on the topic of dogs -- we have a Bichon Frise too (14 week old puppy), so that part of our lives we have in common![/QUOTE][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Book Antiqua][size=3][color=navy][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Book Antiqua][size=3][color=navy]Aren't they the greatest? Best little dog in the world ... put on this earth for nothing more than to love you. We probably have more in common than you think. Again, I'm sorry. I never meant any offense ... just the opposite.[/color][/size][/font]

There is some other Friends of groups... I forget the code name for recovering drug users.

:D Now single male me, always tosses those special invites to singles parties especially where they talk about meeting the ships male Social Hosts.... :D

[quote name='blackbird71']then there is Friends of Ruth C code name for Chocolaholics Anonymous :D:D (I am bad......)

Me Bad Me Bad .... Sorry Ruth C....[/QUOTE]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=royalblue]Don't be sorry! You're certainly not the first person to refer to our group as my friends. Hopefully, you won't be the last, either. :D [/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=royalblue]I consider [color=sienna]chocolate [/color][color=royalblue]a religious experience, and [/color]the [color=sienna]chocolate[/color] extravaganza as my High Holydays! [/color][/size][/font]

[quote name='RuthC'][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=royalblue]Don't be sorry! You're certainly not the first person to refer to our group as my friends. Hopefully, you won't be the last, either. :D [/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=royalblue]I consider [color=sienna]chocolate [/color][color=royalblue]a religious experience, and [/color]the [color=sienna]chocolate[/color] extravaganza as my High Holydays! [/color][/size][/font][/QUOTE]

I consider cruising a religious experience. I would rather pay my money for cruises than the church pedophile lawsuits.

Cheers

General Max

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=royalblue]General Max, there was no need to quote my light-hearted reply to a light-hearted post to make your comment. [/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=royalblue][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=royalblue]I resent that you tied my thoughts to your comment when they had nothing to do with each other. [/color][/size][/font]

[quote name='General Max']I consider cruising a religious experience. I would rather pay my money for cruises than the church pedophile lawsuits.

Cheers

General Max[/QUOTE]

Well keep your hands off the kids and they'll stop suing you

I am sorry it was just too good a line to pass up

[quote name='RuthC'][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=royalblue]Don't be sorry! You're certainly not the first person to refer to our group as my friends. Hopefully, you won't be the last, either. :D [/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=royalblue]I consider [color=sienna]chocolate [/color][color=royalblue]a religious experience, and [/color]the [color=sienna]chocolate[/color] extravaganza as my High Holydays! [/color][/size][/font][/QUOTE]

Ruth , you are my kind of gal

I truly believe chocolate should be a food group all its own :)

ENJOY:) :) :)

[quote name='Iggipolka']As a lesbian who lives in the (at times) overwhelming world of hetrosexuality, I can say that I greatly appreciate the FOD meetings on board. It's really nice to know that there are other gay/lesbian folks on the ship. Being gay/lesbian is not an illness, but being gay/lesbian when surrounded by hundereds/thousands of hetrosexual people, can be very lonely.[/QUOTE]

hey Iggi,

I was thinking when I read that post comparing a disease to a lifestyle or whatever her issue was..."what's the problem with some people meeting up at 3:00 in some room on a ship? Unless its YOUR room what do you care?" I'm crossing the Atlantic on a 16-day with a gay buddy of mine this year and I keep hoping there will be one of these meetings so he is not the "only one" for two and a half weeks.

I guess we, as humans, still have along way to go, but thanks for your articulate reply.

Mmmm checking Chocolaholics Anonymous 15 Step program for "chocolate extranaganza"..... :p:p:D

Archived