Question for UK Celebrity Cruisers

Project_gal

Yes Sue, I noticed it at the weekend too. I have now removed the Celebrity US bookmark I had and replaced it with My Celebrity Login using this link which seems to take me to the area I used to look at:

https://secure.celebritycruises.com/mycelebrity/login.do

Phil

Phil

Thanks. I was going to do that but I wanted to checked whether it was just me having the problem.

Sue

Hi

I used Kproxy.com to access the Celebrity US website and can read all the offers, however it doesn't like it when I search for a cruise price, but thanks to a little searching I downloaded Tunnelbear.com which gives you a US IP address for free and was able to access the whole site!

http://www.tunnelbear.com/

Hi Lisa. I have to say that I have had mixed success with Anonymous Proxy Servers and am reluctant to download a program for it that always seems to want your email address. I have used Anonymouse.org before with success, but it can be a bit slow at times. It is however website based and doesn't need you to download anything. Just type the address in the search bar. It is limited though.

Phil

Hi

I used Kproxy.com to access the Celebrity US website and can read all the offers, however it doesn't like it when I search for a cruise price, but thanks to a little searching I downloaded Tunnelbear.com which gives you a US IP address for free and was able to access the whole site!

Hi, Thanks for the info, just loaded tunnel bear on my iPad and it works fine with the US Celebrity site. I hope that I will be able to use UK sites like BBC and SKY when I am in The States as they have previously been blocked when I tried to use them over there.

You'll find that most if not ALL internet service providers now have the ability to see where in the world you register and log on to the WWW.

As with a basic example - if you're in the UK trying going to google.com

It simply sends you automatically to the UK site because it knows that you are on a computer/device somewhere in the UK, and because you are in the UK it will always give you UK results from any searching you do.

Again in the UK - try typing in cruisecritic.com and it'll take you to .co.uk

The proxy server idea is really on the way, and this just disguises where you are, hence why some people are getting to the .com page.

This issue this brings is "cookies" (and not those in Al Bacio) which is a tiny footprint you leave on each web page you visit. This leaves a certain amount of information about YOU (no personal details) but are mainly used to do market research etc. You'll notice that favorite webpages you visit will usually be referred to in other non-related webpages you also visit.

All sounds a little complicated I know, I'm sorry.

An example of this will be you looking at nothing to do with cruising or CC, but somewhere on a, lets say News Channel web page, there will be a banner or logo for CC somewhere in that page, as the cookies you leave around the web, indicate you like CC.

Another example I have personally had is after visiting the X or RCCL site and then went to Ebay, there were X and RCCL banners showing up on the Ebay page - its all very clever, but MOST people just don't realise this is going on.

Basically if a webpage can't retrieve your "cookie", then YOU USUALLY CAN'T VIEW IT.

Unfortunately this is also clamping down on those wanting to purchase bargains (of any nature) from anywhere in the world, you simply wont be able to in the near future. (tax avoidance / import/export charges etc)

And yes, that also goes for UK residence in the US lets say. Try logging onto BBC Iplayer or ITV player from the US, or even watch official Youtube videos uploaded by the likes of BBC or ITV - they just don't play.

Edited by Staffy

We have just returned from a Celebrity cruise. Angry that US bookings were allowed to backdate their bookings to allow the 123 offer but it specifically not being available for 'British residents' I went to advance bookings on board to find out if they knew why. I was not the first British resident to ask the question! I was told that the decision to exclude British residents was made by Celebrity UK.:eek:

I am still waiting for a reply from Celebrity UK which I sent 4 weeks ago. WHY?

Like many others I am also looking at booking my cruises in the US but do feel it is unfair on British travel agents. Celebrity are making it even more difficult for them by adding charges for credit cards and not allowing them to discount cruises. Are they wanting us to book direct with them?

Hi

Thanks for the link. Tunnelbear works for me

You'll find that most if not ALL internet service providers now have the ability to see where in the world you register and log on to the WWW.

As with a basic example - if you're in the UK trying going to google.com

It simply sends you automatically to the UK site because it knows that you are on a computer/device somewhere in the UK, and because you are in the UK it will always give you UK results from any searching you do.

Again in the UK - try typing in cruisecritic.com and it'll take you to .co.uk

I was fully aware that any website CAN direct you to the UK site. [Many of us will remember when Cruise Critic started doing that and how we circumvent it.] My question was only IF Celebrity had recently started doing it.

In many cases, I can even accept why an organisation would want to direct you to the local site. I can accept that, for whatever reason, Celebrity wants to control what is seen on their website. Seeing offers not available locally only serves to cause ill-feeling. There are plenty of reasons why prices are different in different areas of the world. They are discussed often enough on Cruise Critic and do not need to be repeated here. The sudden drop in the pound in the last 24 hours just highlights one of them.

What annoys me if that I know that I need to be on the .com website for many of the things I regularily do on the Celebrity website - My Celebrity and Bon Voyage Gifts. It is frustrating the number of extra keystrokes I now need to get there whether it is by being directed to the UK site or setting up a Favourites link. It is not how I wish to use the Internet.

Sue

Edited by Project_gal

I have never seen "bon voyage" gifts option, i would love to! How can i see that please?

Louise

You first need to be on the US .com site! Then scroll to the bottom and, in the small print links, you will find one called "Gifts by Celebrity". For someone from the UK, OBC can be a great purchase because the exchange rate is often/usually better than you can get elsewhere. If you purchase wine or spirits you will save yourself the 15% service charge payable on board.

Sue

I found a way in, and I successfully purchased some onboard credit, not a huge amount, but I figure if I purchase a bit here and there, before we go, its like saving up and will be a nice surprise for hubby when we get onboard! Love it!

Thanks everyone for the tip!

• 11 months later...
The 123Go promotion was not for UK customers, although I believe it has finished now anyway.

I noticed the same happened at the weekend - I have had the .com website bookmarked for years with no issue and suddenly it is going straight to .co.uk. I am sure it is a result of the 123GO promotion but with forums such as this Celebrity should know we will always be aware of what is going on elsewhere in the world!

I'm booked on the Panama Canal cruise 4th November 2014 and we got $300 obc and the Classic drinks package. I live in Leeds and booked through Thomsons so I can assure you the packages were available for uk residents

Does anyone else get the Tuesday deals email sent?

That came as usual on Sunday.

I followed one up mid Jan and was given an inflated price when I tried to cancel my Oct 24th TA on Infinity and re book the same room, so I could get the 123 promotion.

Celebrity has informed me that the123 promo is excluded from the transatlantic and transpacific cruises. But you can get it in UK? Have I understood it right?

I'm booked on the Panama Canal cruise 4th November 2014 and we got $300 obc and the Classic drinks package. I live in Leeds and booked through Thomsons so I can assure you the packages were available for uk residents

We booked a Caribbean Cruise on the Equinox, about 2 weeks ago, leaving on 14th March and had no problems getting the 123go offer. We tried to book online (the offer was showing on the site I was on) but couldn't get the flights we wanted so actually rang Celebrity and booked that way. The offer is still showing on the .co.uk website apparently with 8 days remaining.

Why do British people buy cruises in pound sterling when they know the prices and offers are better in the US? Plus you can't take advantage of price drops.

Am I missing something?

Is there a reason why people are choosing to book through UK websites rather than through US travel agents?

Edited by kfowinst

Why do British people buy cruises in pound sterling when they know the prices and offers are better in the US? Plus you can't take advantage of price drops.

Am I missing something?

Is there a reason why people are choosing to book through UK websites rather than through US travel agents?

This is our first cruise on an American cruise line, so we are learning as we go along. If doing it again, we will certainly consider booking with a US TA but I am concerned about previous comments that they are going to clamp down on this for tax reasons. Are the cruises more expensive in the UK because we pay more tax?

This is our first cruise on an American cruise line, so we are learning as we go along. If doing it again, we will certainly consider booking with a US TA but I am concerned about previous comments that they are going to clamp down on this for tax reasons. Are the cruises more expensive in the UK because we pay more tax?

I'm not sure how they could stop you, it's not like a physical good which you have to pay customs duty on. If I book a hotel direct with an American company I pay local taxes, not uk taxes because the service is 'consumed' in the US.

As far as I can tell its the economic phenomenon of 'price discrimination' aka 'gettin ripped off'!

I've been upgraded twice for the same price (we went from obstructed balcony to an aft balcony), and each time by a helpful friendly TA. I don't think that would have happened if I booked with a UK travel agent. It's our honeymoon and it's great to be able to take advantage of the price drops and have an amazing balcony we could never afford. We feel very lucky about this though- not entitled- and really appreciate the upgrade!

UK holidays are Atoll protected, but this doesn't interest me as I have insurance which gives the same cover - also we are combining a cruise with independent land based travel so package holiday would not suit us.

Edited by kfowinst

I have not sailed with Celebrity before but are keen to do so.

This thread has been very interesting as I like some would not have even thought about using a US travel agent.

However, after reading the comments on here I am extremely keen to go down this route and find the comments from experienced cruisers of Celebrity very helpful.

How do I find a good reputable US travel agent?

I have not sailed with Celebrity before but are keen to do so.

This thread has been very interesting as I like some would not have even thought about using a US travel agent.

However, after reading the comments on here I am extremely keen to go down this route and find the comments from experienced cruisers of Celebrity very helpful.

How do I find a good reputable US travel agent?

I've booked 4 cruises with US TA. The number is freephone. They are so helpful, way better service than I'm used to. I use my UK address.

Google it, not allowed to name TAs here (but try US word for holiday and 'cruise'!)

Edited by kfowinst

Sorry, another question.

If I were to book now for a cruise e.g Fjords in August using a US travel agent would I still get the 123GO promotion?

Yes just checked for you - 123 showing. Price £1150 for 8 day balcony, £1350 10 day pp for. Fjords in august

Don't forget you have to add taxes and port charges on top - these vary by cruise, but are not too high. Not all cruises are cheaper in the US, you may find better deals in Europe for the likes of Costa. I've no idea if these are good prices or not.

Have fun looking!

Edited by kfowinst