Transfers from ship to Rome airport

roomiec

There is a set taxi rate from Civitavecchia to FCO of 120 Euro. Cabs in Italy are small and aren't going to accommodate more than two with a lot of luggage, three with moderate luggage.

The other option is train.

You can take the train from Civitavecchia (about half a mile walk from the port entrance) to Trastevere then transfer to FCO--this is the local, plan on three hours but it could be as little as under two. It's about 10 Euro per person.

You can also take the train from Civitavecchia to Termini then take the Leonardo Express to FCO. Some people think Termini is complicated, I don't think it is, but then again I'm very comfortable with mass transit. That trip should take a little over an hour and is ~16 Euro per person.

You need to be able to manage your own bags if you take the train, there are no porters and two ~10" steps up to get on. Do not expect assistance from anyone and expect the locals to be more than a bit annoyed if you are struggling to get on and off with a bag you can't quickly manage on your own.

You need to mind your belongings on the train and be watchful of pickpockets. Above all, don't forget to validate your ticket in the yellow box before boarding.

Keep in mind that you are not embarking/disembarking in Rome, but rather in Civitavechia which is about 50 miles Northwest of Rome. The port to the airport is about 40 miles, not 20.

DL...thanks for the detailed response. You are a wealth of knowledge.

Can we get the taxi when we disembark, or does it need to be pre-arranged?

The 120 Euro fare is for both passengers, correct?

Thanks.

We did that trip last year and were very happy with our prearranged transfer from Romecabs.com. It was 120 euros for three. They were in the terminal outside baggage claim when we arrived holding a sign with our name, even though our flight arrived late and dropped us off inside the gates of the cruise port right at the ship. Had read good reviews about them on both Cruise Critic and Trip Advisor and could not agree more.

DL...thanks for the detailed response. You are a wealth of knowledge.

Can we get the taxi when we disembark, or does it need to be pre-arranged?

The 120 Euro fare is for both passengers, correct?

Thanks.

There will be a line of taxis--they know when the ships are coming in. The fare is total--there might be a small fee per bag (a Euro or two) and of course tip the driver.

There will be a line of taxis--they know when the ships are coming in. The fare is total--there might be a small fee per bag (a Euro or two) and of course tip the driver.

Keep in mind that tipping of taxi drivers is not customary in Italy as it is in the USA. It is your personal choice, rather than an expectation, whether or not to tip.

I would also recommend that you book the transfer in advance with a company that is allowed to bring its cars onto the pier - not all car services have the licensing to do this. The pricing is similar to a cab and you will avoid the bus ride to the front of the port where the taxis are waiting.

I have also taken the train. The walk from the port to the station is level and less than a half mile. As mentioned, it is very cheap in comparison but it is a hassle with larger luggage - not all platforms have elevators. I wouldn't recommend this option unless you are physically able to carry your luggage up two flights of stairs. If you are flying on a US-flagged carrier out of FCO airport, you will also have to take a shuttle bus from the main terminal (where the FCO airport train station is located) to Terminal 4 for check-in ...more lifting of luggage.

Keep in mind that tipping of taxi drivers is not customary in Italy as it is in the USA. It is your personal choice, rather than an expectation, whether or not to tip.

Every guidebook or site that I've ever read suggests that tipping a taxi driver in Italy is expected--round up to the nearest Euro for a short trip in the city, 4-5 Euro for a longer trip such as to an airport, and definitely add a few Euro if they are handling your bags for you in and out of the trunk.

How exactly would you round up a flat fare?

If you feel compelled to tip a taxi driver in Italy, go ahead, but Italian tipping etiquette and custom does not require it. If the driver "expects" a tip, it is because the last tourist he had gave him a tip ... the driver would never expect a tip from a local.

I went by what the various guidebooks--including Rick Steves and Fodors--had to say about the matter. They slightly disagreed with each other with Steves giving the "round up" advice, but both said a tip should be tendered for extra services such as baggage handling.

Personally I'd always rather err on the side of caution and give a small tip (unless I'm in a country where it would be offensive such as Japan).

There is a bus that leaves ATH for the port, it runs regularly and takes hour or so and if I recall costs six Euro per person. Once you get to the port you'll transfer to a tram to get to your ship.

You can also take the train, you'd have to transfer in Athens. The Athens train system is very easy--all signage is written in Greek and English. Just make sure you get on the Green Line going in the right direction. Once you get to the Pireaus Metro station you can take a tram to your ship--I'm not sure of the cost.

The bus directly from the airport will be easier and less expansive.

If you are adventurous and understand mass transit and transfers and can easily handle your own bags, take the bus.

If you don't meet all three, use the Windstar transfers, you'll be glad you did. Pireaus is a very large and in my opinion, not traveler friendly port.

Hi...we will be disembarking WindStar in Rome and asked them about transfers to the airport.

We were quoted $105/pp. This seems very high for what I believe is a 20 mile trip.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I used an outfit called ItalyAirportLimousine dot com in 9/2011 between Civitavecchia and FCO ...Alessandro was the fellow in charge. A vehicle to accommodate four was 135 euros, and one to accommodate six was 145 euros. He provided service directly to and from the ship.

Hi DL..

I'm a bit confused. You mention the bus takes about an hour and from your comments, it appears to take you right to the port, then you take a tram to your particular ship.

It all sounds pretty simple until later on you mention transfers and being adventurous.

I'm OK with any of this, but if it's at all complicated, my wife will remind me of the adventure every day of the B2B.

Is the bus a direct trip?

Another vote for Romecabs for your transfer from the port to the airport in Rome. We used them last year for two transfers, one from the airport to our hotel and the other from the hotel to the port. We were very happy with everything from the booking process to the transfer, driver, vehicle etc. Would definitely use them again!

Hi DL..

I'm a bit confused. You mention the bus takes about an hour and from your comments, it appears to take you right to the port, then you take a tram to your particular ship.

It all sounds pretty simple until later on you mention transfers and being adventurous.

I'm OK with any of this, but if it's at all complicated, my wife will remind me of the adventure every day of the B2B.

Is the bus a direct trip?

The bus will be a direct trip to the port--keep in mind that you'll have to transfer once you get there. The Athens port is very large, and you need to make sure you get off at the correct stop. It's not terribly complicated, but you will have to pay attention.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived