Sittings for dinner

Hawks11

We will be off on the Solstice 3st May and booked last October. Despite the early booking we only had the option of the late sitting with a request to change to the earlier dining option if possible.

We have never had a problem before and it seems unusual for the early dining options to have all been taken.

Does anyone know if the chance to the earlier sitting is likely or is there some reason that Alaska cruises attract early diners and perhaps early to bed? :)

Perhaps there is a large group traveling and they all are dining together

Perhaps there are a lot of families with small children and they want to eat early

No one can ever really know what the circumstances are. Have you considered requesting Select Dining? It might be available.

Perhaps there is a large group traveling and they all are dining together

Perhaps there are a lot of families with small children and they want to eat early

No one can ever really know what the circumstances are. Have you considered requesting Select Dining? It might be available.

Thanks for those "perhaps" I would never have guessed.

I know the other options and I doubt that I will go hungry and I will make a beeline for the MD on arrival.

Further on 'checking with the MD'.... On the day you board there should be someone in the Dining Room available to make seating changes, usually until 3:00 or so. That's the person you check with if you want to move your dining arrangements around. You can also do similar changes at your first dinner on board, but it is usually a bit more of a hassle then.

Further on 'checking with the MD'.... On the day you board there should be someone in the Dining Room available to make seating changes, usually until 3:00 or so. That's the person you check with if you want to move your dining arrangements around. You can also do similar changes at your first dinner on board, but it is usually a bit more of a hassle then.

Thanks for the replies. In my experience I had the impression the later dining option was taken up first but not apparently in this case so I will put my best smiley face on :D and make an early application. I can only try.

Thanks for the replies. In my experience I had the impression the later dining option was taken up first but not apparently in this case so I will put my best smiley face on :D and make an early application. I can only try.

Depends on the passenger demographics. If you are travelling with many Spaniards, early dining will be empty. If you are travelling with many Chinese, late dining will be empty. (we've seen both). Of course those are generalities, but it can vary quite a bit between cruises.....

Changing your seating is not a problem. I have had to do it several times. Just this month I was traveling with 3 others on Summit and discovered that my cousin and I had the correct time, early, and our friends had the late seating, although all of us had been confirmed for early. I went straight to the Rendezvous Lounge, just outside the 4th deck MDR. The Mai'tre D was there with her computer, adjusting times for others. I told her we all needed early and the change was made. That first night we sat at a table for 4, whose other occupants were at a specialty restaurant that night. The next night we were at a table for 8, which was for the rest of the cruise.

I have had to do this at least 4 other times in my 15 cruises. I am diabetic and need to eat at the early seating. 8:30 is WAAAYYY to late. I wouldn't be able to sleep or even lie down with a full stomach. Even if you don't have a medical condition, there should be no problem, even though chances are you will have to wait till after you board the ship. We've been on the wait list for early and still were able to get it after boarding.

I don't know what the lounge nearest the MDR is called on Solstice, but that's where to go. You will find that you are not alone, lol.

Archived