Selling the small ships is a good idea; maybe

Thumper Jr

The sale of the smaller ships has been planned for some time. While we have had many great trips on the small ships; recent experience has not been what it once was. Ports of calls; not always great. Cruise Directors and others not quite a motivated. Ship maintenance has not kept up; which is what happens when a sale is contemplated. Some of the Captains are already thinking of what their next career move is. So; as we like Seabourn; this is a good move; BUT ONLY IF they commit to making the larger ships the best in the luxury category. They may do this; but for me the "jury is still out". I am not sure Rick Meadows; and top mgt at Carnival Corp are sure of just what they want to do with Seabourn.

The sale of the smaller ships has been planned for some time. While we have had many great trips on the small ships; recent experience has not been what it once was. Ports of calls; not always great. Cruise Directors and others not quite a motivated. Ship maintenance has not kept up; which is what happens when a sale is contemplated. Some of the Captains are already thinking of what their next career move is. So; as we like Seabourn; this is a good move; BUT ONLY IF they commit to making the larger ships the best in the luxury category. They may do this; but for me the "jury is still out". I am not sure Rick Meadows; and top mgt at Carnival Corp are sure of just what they want to do with Seabourn.

Some might see this as pure speculation, without concrete evidence to back it up.....or just trolling.

;-)

I am not sure Rick Meadows; and top mgt at Carnival Corp are sure of just what they want to do with Seabourn.

I think you'll find that Carnival know exactly what to do with Seabourn.

They have made the wise and natural choice to sell old and expensive to run ships.All cruise companies do this.I see ships everytime I am at sea that I have sailed on that have been sold on and renamed.Thomson this,Saga that.

We only know and see the results of years of planning in the cruise industry.

Really? What other luxury ships are out there in these sizes? Sea Dream is half the size and you are mostly limited to seven day cruises in the Caribbean or Med. Silver Cloud and Silver Wind are much larger and more shiplike than yachtlike. I would love to hear where jpver plans to sail in the future?

Really? What other luxury ships are out there in these sizes? Sea Dream is half the size and you are mostly limited to seven day cruises in the Caribbean or Med. Silver Cloud and Silver Wind are much larger and more shiplike than yachtlike. I would love to hear where jpver plans to sail in the future?

On the three little sisters with Windstar!

Well, I do not. Anytime I have to shell out money onboard for a drink or wine or bottled water it is not a luxury experience. Even Windstar does not describe itself as a luxury line.

I don't see why paying for drinks constitutes a non-luxury experience. By this definition the Four Seasons is not luxurious. With Seabourn, you still payed for your drinks. You just did so up front and have limited your choices to the included list.

Windstar provides a choice for pax to buy an alcohol package. They also provide free bottled water. And the alternative restaurants are free. Let's not forget that it wasn't too long ago that Crystal did not include alcohol -- and it was luxury anyway. Having sailed on 59 cruises including most of the luxury lines, my opinion is that Windstar is luxury.

Well, I do not. Anytime I have to shell out money onboard for a drink or wine or bottled water it is not a luxury experience. Even Windstar does not describe itself as a luxury line.

Wrong! The word luxury is all over the Windstar website including in this description:

"Teak-lined decks. Towering white sails. A voyage on a Windstar luxury cruise feels like your own private yacht — luxurious amenities, gourmet cuisine, exceptional service and the world’s most exotic and unique ports of call. Sail to the Greek Isles, Italy, Europe or warm waters of the Caribbean or Costa Rica. With less than 320 guests on board you’ll quickly discover a genuine freedom to escape and explore as you want, when you want. You’ll love this journey as much as the destination! "

• 8 months later...

Compagnie du Ponant with the 3 new ships Boréal, Austral and Soleal with onloy 264 passengers maximum is a good alternative.

In July I was on the Austral for an IST- IST with several destination in Greece and Turkey, all small ports.

It is an alternative

Compagnie du Ponant with the 3 new ships Boréal, Austral and Soleal with onloy 264 passengers maximum is a good alternative.

In July I was on the Austral for an IST- IST with several destination in Greece and Turkey, all small ports.

It is an alternative

If you are not francophone or francophile I would recommend a good look at the various reviews on this line - I am both, to quite an extent, but am not tempted.

Luxury lines should have their language and grammar checked: FEWER than 320 guests....

Agreed totally!

What is even worse is the widespread error (even by newspaper editors and writers) of contraction vs. possessive, e.g.:

it's - contraction of "it is", e.g. It's sunny today

its - possessive, e.g. The sky is beautiful today; its color is bright blue.

Similarly: they're vs. their.

And discreet vs. discrete...

Just some of the rampant, glaring grammatical errors in print and especially online in the US.

Agreed totally!

What is even worse is the widespread error (even by newspaper editors and writers) of contraction vs. possessive, e.g.:

it's - contraction of "it is", e.g. It's sunny today

its - possessive, e.g. The sky is beautiful today; its color is bright blue.

Similarly: they're vs. their.

And discreet vs. discrete...

Just some of the rampant, glaring grammatical errors in print and especially online in the US.

And don't get me started on your and you're, would of instead of would have....

And I once bought an umbrella that said on it "raining cat's and dog's"!!!!!!!!!

Needless to say, I returned it to the shop.

And don't get me started on your and you're, would of instead of would have....

And I once bought an umbrella that said on it "raining cat's and dog's"!!!!!!!!!

Needless to say, I returned it to the shop.

Good for you - I would have done the same!! :D

I think this is a sensitive subject based on some of the posts.

First of all I think it is inappropriate for "Host Dan" to try to discredit the OP, IMO, this is not the role of a forum host, regardless of the possible intention of the poster.

Secondly, I had posted on an early thread asking whether the poster should book the 3 small ships before they are sold. For the most part, the opinions were from past cruisers of those ships who had an emotional connection to the ships. The question that really hasn't been answered which I think the poster of this thread is touching on is: why who someone who hasn't sailed on them do so before they are sold given 2 main considerations: 1) current condition of the ships; 2) cost of the sailing. Some have commented that cost/price doesn't matter, but for me a luxury cruise experience includes a ship that is modern, well maintained with decor etc up to date. To pay a premium for anything less (nostalgia aside) doesn't really make sense. And BTW, I have both a Regent and a Windstar cruise booked, but have passed on the small Seabourn ships because of the above 2 reasons. But that's just the opinion of someone who would love to try Seabourn but just not the ships being "cast off" from the fleet

Hebridean Island Cruises is definitely luxurious and only has 49 guests onboard at a time. But Princess mostly only sails in Scotland with occasional jaunts to Ireland, Norway, and France and a handful of river cruises on the leased Royal Crown. We did ten nights with them a year ago and I have to say the experience really was a game changer and made me less loyal to SeaDream than I was. We had a fantastic time.

That being said, I've been eyeing Seabourn for a long while and would love to try one of the little sisters before the opportunity is gone.