When to fly to Sydney.

metter

We are going on our first cruise in October (Celebrity Solstice). Live in Adelaide so Sydney is just a shirt flight away.

Do most people fly the day of the cruise for these short flights or the preceding day just in case?

Roll on Oct 23rd :)

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

We are going on our first cruise in October (Celebrity Solstice). Live in Adelaide so Sydney is just a shirt flight away.

Do most people fly the day of the cruise for these short flights or the preceding day just in case?

Always fly the day before so we can relax at a hotel.

One less thing to worry about although to be truthful our flights in Australia are rarely cancelled for weather events like say in the USA.

we always fly the day of the cruise--but always on qantus--dont want tiger/jetstar to cancel or change flights at the last minute.

We took a chance recently and flew down to Sydney from Brisbane on the day of departure. After all, we had until around 4PM to board -- and we could get a Virgin Blue flight at 8.30 AM

Then Cyclone whateveritwascalled appeared on the horizon around Cairns about 6 days before -- and SLOWLY worked it's way south. We JUST got out of Brisbane on the morning of the Sunday it arrived in Brisbane. We could just as easily have booked out of Coolangatta -- but it was closed on Sunday morning!

STOOPID me!!!!!

Anyway, our two weeks on VOS was great!!

Barry

I live about an hour and a half from Sydney by car and I still go up the day before a cruise:D

What if there was a major accident on the freeway?, or the trains are out?

Ok, paranoid I know....but I just like to be sure nothing can go wrong.

It's also nice to start your holiday a day early.:)

Deidre.

I would also say the day before is best. I live 2 hours by car from Sydney and normally stay the night before a flight or cruise. Its just more relaxing and I think it is nice to watch the ship arrive in the morning.

Transport in NSW is unreliable and even our trains can be super late for the most trivial reasons. Airport transfers (which also do cruise ships) are also unreliable as they take you all over the area picking up passengers before they get anywhere near the freeway. If I am flying out of Sydney and the flight is early morning I will get a room the night before to avoid having to wake up at 3am or 4am. If it is an afternoon flight I notmally take the risk and travel on the day.

Before my Solstice cruise this next week I am staying the night before and want to watch it come in.

I also live in Adelaide and like Aussie Claire am on the 8th April cruise and we are also flying in the day before. You never know and I like to relax and know I am there. In this day of flying you never know what happens.

Chez

One less thing to worry about although to be truthful our flights in Australia are rarely cancelled for weather events like say in the USA.

A lot of early-morning flights in and out of Melbourne can be cancelled due to fog (and in other cities too). This can have a flow-on effect to other flights as well, eg if a plane can't leave Melbourne to go to Adelaide, and then it's scheduled to fly to Sydney and back to Melbourne, all the flights can end up being delayed or cancelled.

Another vote for arriving the day/night before.

Its certainly a lot more relaxing and a wonderful way to start your cruise by arriving a day early.

Having said that , we have done both. With NZ being 2 hrs ahead we do have a time advantage, but even then , things can go wrong.

Whats the time difference, if any with Adelaide?

We also factor in the next port possibility if the ship was missed. In most cases its (for our cruising ) been either Brisbane or Melbourne , so not much hassle catching up with the ship, just much more expense :D

Its certainly a lot more relaxing and a wonderful way to start your cruise by arriving a day early.

Having said that , we have done both. With NZ being 2 hrs ahead we do have a time advantage, but even then , things can go wrong.

Whats the time difference, if any with Adelaide?

We also factor in the next port possibility if the ship was missed. In most cases its (for our cruising ) been either Brisbane or Melbourne , so not much hassle catching up with the ship, just much more expense :D

Adelaide is 1/2hr behind Sydney.

We like to go 2 days early, so that we can spend some time enjoying Sydney. I personally would not fly down on the day, I don't want the stress of perhaps the flight being delayed for whatever reason, even though we fly with Qantas. Why start your holiday stressed!

This time we got to see 2 other ships in Sydney, as we stayed at Circular Quay.

We like to go 2 days early, so that we can spend some time enjoying Sydney. I personally would not fly down on the day, I don't want the stress of perhaps the flight being delayed for whatever reason, even though we fly with Qantas. Why start your holiday stressed!

From NZ I like to fly in plenty early, this time we are arriving on Mon for a Thurs cruise departure, but then my best friend lives in Sydney... lol

When we leave from Auckland we get an early morning flight to Auckland - it's only an hour by plane. If we get the earliest flight and it's cancelled or delayed there is always time for another alternative.

Fly the day before as most others have said.

Take an early morning walk around Sydney Cove and get super excited at seeing Solstice there. She is a beautiful ship! :D And many, many photo opportunities!

You have booked a wonderful ship for your first cruise .. Enjoy!

We took a chance recently and flew down to Sydney from Brisbane on the day of departure. After all, we had until around 4PM to board -- and we could get a Virgin Blue flight at 8.30 AM

Then Cyclone whateveritwascalled appeared on the horizon around Cairns about 6 days before -- and SLOWLY worked it's way south. We JUST got out of Brisbane on the morning of the Sunday it arrived in Brisbane. We could just as easily have booked out of Coolangatta -- but it was closed on Sunday morning!

STOOPID me!!!!!

Anyway, our two weeks on VOS was great!!

Barry

That's always a worry when you cruise in cyclone season. Touching wood for next Friday's flight to Sydney.

see you are from adelaide same as us, just waiting till next week then hope to book this cruise too.

Re your flight to Sydney we just sailed the Radiance and stayed 3 nights prior, had 3 great days plus a trip to the Blue Mountains, well worth doing. Q have flights with 23kgs of luggage flying ex Adelaide $115 at 7.00.

stevo

see you are from adelaide same as us, just waiting till next week then hope to book this cruise too.

Re your flight to Sydney we just sailed the Radiance and stayed 3 nights prior, had 3 great days plus a trip to the Blue Mountains, well worth doing. Q have flights with 23kgs of luggage flying ex Adelaide $115 at 7.00.

stevo

We won't have time for a 3 night stay, just an overnight. Given all the recommendations i think flying the day before is the way to go. Did you find 23kg each enough or we 3 pieces between the 2 of use be better (first time cruise so concerned about washing clothes etc)

We won't have time for a 3 night stay, just an overnight. Given all the recommendations i think flying the day before is the way to go. Did you find 23kg each enough or we 3 pieces between the 2 of use be better (first time cruise so concerned about washing clothes etc)

We travel all over the world and have never been above 21kg - even when we have been on a cruise. We do have clothes laundered on board if we need to (one or two lots depending on the length of cruise - $20 or so each time is worth it IMO for T shirts/trousers/shirts etc, I do wash the "smalls" in the bathroom and hang them when no one is likely to visit the cabin. They always dry overnight or in rare instances I hang them in the wardrobe during the day. We cut down on formal gear - a couple of sparkly tops and black trousers/long skirt does me and DH has a bow tie with a suit, no tux.

You should be fine with the luggage allowance.

Enjoy the cruise - once bitten...a lifetime of "poverty" :D

We also do at least 2 nights in Sydney although we are from Perth so a bit further.

I have spoken to cruisers from Perth in Sydney having breakfast with their cruise luggage and have just got off the Red Eye:eek:

Not for me, I wouldnt take a chance or end up tired first day because of a flight, its only a few extra dollars for a hotel and your holiday starts early:)

Archived