do the regal princess or not

cherligirl

We did the Regal out and back to SF a few years ago. It was wonderful. If I had to pick my favorite it would be the Coral, (just did Panama on her). She was a nicer ship but the Regal was great too. Coral is just newer and a bit more qlitzy. The only other big difference was the dining. We did second seating traditional on both and had wonderful food and service. I believe the Regal is just a bit more worn but she was refurbished right after we were on her. It was a great cruise through the inside passage. Sea days on both were filled with fun things to do, great lectures and so on. Entertainment great on both, movies probably the same also. The Regal's bathroom was better, larger shower, and there was a really nice large closet area, big drawers. Lots of storage. I am sure you will love it.

We did the round trip out of SF on the Regal last year and loved it. We had heard it was an older ship, so we didn't have high expectations. that being said, we would do it again. The seas were a little rough the first two days out of San Francisco, but tolerable. We had 3 medical evacuations during that trip. We had great table mates after being on a waitlist for first seating for mos, we were concerned that we'd be given 2nd seating, but we were given a table for 10 at first seating......best table mates ever. This was a great cruise for us.

Regal's a great ship. We have done two cruises on her, and are going 'round the Horn on her Mar 06.

Sailing out of San Francisco is one of the best sailaways available. Beautiful harbor and the magnificent Golden Gate Bridge.

Often a bit bumpy outside the Golden Gate as you transit the "potato patch" (area where currents from the Bay collide with the Japanese Current), but usually smooths out as the ship stands out to sea. Japanese Current flows South along the Left Coast, so smoother on the return southbound trip than when northbound.

We just returned day before yesterday. The Regal is still in good shape and the ride was not bad. Some swaying as we headed to Victoria and on the return trip. I only heard of a few people with sea sickness.

Overall, a great trip and beautiful scenery. Go for it.

Has anyone taken the Regal Princess out of San Francisco to Alaska? What did you think about the ship? I like a smooth cruise. What was yours like? Were your fun days at sea fun days?

When you say fun days at sea, what are you expecting? Regal Princess offers a more traditional cruise – if you’re looking for “fun days at sea” like you’d find on a Carnival ship, you’ll be disappointed.

hi flyer:

we did the regal to alaska on the first sailing may 8 and absolutely loved it. i just read you just got back the other day. wasn't that the sailing with the guide dogs? just wondering how all that went.

thanks

gerry

We're just off the Regal (May 8th Sailing). Having been on many cruises, I'd start by saying there is no such thing as a bad cruise and our cruise on the Regal was very enjoyable.

Having said that, I probably would not choose the Regal again as my first or second choice. Strictly a matter of opinion, but I preferred the larger, newer ships with more amenities and I felt the quality of food especially in the buffet area was somewhat lacking. I found there to be much more of a line in the buffet and it was hard at times to find somewhere indoors to eat. The sea days were fine but I really missed having the indoor pool for all-weather swimming.

As for the ride, the sailing was a little rough out of San Francisco and VERY rough the last two days down the west coast.

As I said, I definitely had a good time but the Regal just didn't rank up there as one of my favorite ships.

Gerry,

Yes, there were six guide dogs on board. They were amazing to watch. Princess left two documents in the cabin explaining how the dogs were trained and proper etiquette to use with the dogs and their owners. Originally we were told there were to be 21. I guess some backed out.

Flyer

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from the 6-7 to 6-17 cruise on the Regal, this is the 2nd cruise for me ever and since me and my siblings are in our early 20s there wasnt much for us to do on the ship. We went with our parents and aunt and uncle so it was alright. The three days that it took for us to get the our 1st port, my mom and aunt got sea sick, but I was ok since the waters werent so rough. On the last day a seaday, the seas were very very rough, i woke up and there was a storm and lots of people got sick, and there were clean up crews on everyday cleaning up food people where throwing up. When I got home on that day I found out that a 7.0 earthquake struck underwater on that day the seas where so rough and a Tsaisumsi warrning was issued from Vancver island all the way down to Mexico.

Archived