Q313 - Fjords, Queen Elizabeth - Geiranger call cancelled.

BORDER REIVER

We have received an e-mail from Cunard to inform us that because there are a greater number of ships than anticipated calling at Geiranger on 5th June, they have cancelled that port call and Queen Elizabeth will be calling at Andalsnes instead. This, they say, is so that we can fully enjoy our time ashore. Just last week I looked at one port calls website and the Queen Elizabeth was the only ship due that day.

It doesn't matter to us as we've been to Geiranger on a perfect sunny day and a new port of call will be great, but some others will miss out on a great experience. Then again, how great will it be if there's 3 or 4 cruise ships and many thousands of passengers in port.

Does anyone have any first-hand knowledge of Andalsnes?

This won't help with your question about Andalsnes since I have not had the opportunity to visit there. But here is what I found concerning the ships scheduled to be in Geiranger on 5 June 2013, according to the Geirangerfjord Cruise Port web site.

Silver Explorer (150 passengers)

Thomson Spirit (1400 passengers)

MSC Musica (2800 passengers)

Queen Elizabeth (2175 passengers)

Regards,

John.

This won't help with your question about Andalsnes since I have not had the opportunity to visit there. But here is what I found concerning the ships scheduled to be in Geiranger on 5 June 2013, according to the Geirangerfjord Cruise Port web site.

Silver Explorer (150 passengers)

Thomson Spirit (1400 passengers)

MSC Musica (2800 passengers)

Queen Elizabeth (2175 passengers)

Regards,

John.

Thanks, that's a lot of people for a small port. Probably a wise decision by Cunard .

Well at least you will not need the Tenders as the Ship berths in town.

Andelsnas was a tender port on QV last year.

It's a pretty fjord, but sort out a tour because the place itself is as dull as ditchwater. We were back on board in time for lunch.

If memory serves me correctly there's a railway station that has the occasional train to somewhere and a restaurant in an old railway carriage.

It's a pretty fjord, but sort out a tour because the place itself is as dull as ditchwater. We were back on board in time for lunch.

If memory serves me correctly there's a railway station that has the occasional train to somewhere and a restaurant in an old railway carriage.

Thanks, that's worth noting because we were tending towards doing our own thing this cruise.

That is my recollection as well about Andalsnes. We were on P&O's Canberra about 20 years ago. Even though it was only 45,000 tons - considered a huge ship at the time - we had to use tenders. It rained steadily so we didn't spend much time in the town. I'm on the next QE cruise to Norway (9 June) and hoping they don't cancel the call at Geirangerfjord. Although we cruised through that spectacular fjord on the Canberra, passengers didn't get ashore.

Hello

As one who has been to GEIRANGER twice on QE2, I can tell you it is the most beautiful fjord of all. it is not to be missed. A trip to Norway is not complete without Geiranger. If you have time, I would cancel this sailing and wait for one with this stop. Good luck.

Deck chair

Hello

As one who has been to GEIRANGER twice on QE2, I can tell you it is the most beautiful fjord of all. it is not to be missed. A trip to Norway is not complete without Geiranger. If you have time, I would cancel this sailing and wait for one with this stop. Good luck.

Deck chair

OP has already stated that they have visited Geiranger previously.

From memory we took a coach/train trip when we visited Andasnes.

Hello

Deck chair

My wife and I were at Geiranger on Aurora in July 2010 and the weather was perfect, with clear skies and warm sunshine. In fact, we had this type of weather in every one of 10 ports in Ireland, Greenland, Iceland and Norway. This time, my wife's sister will be with us on only her 2nd cruise and we had told her much about how beautiful the place is and the spectacular approach. Sadly for her, she'll miss out on Geiranger, but I'm sure wherever we go it'll be beautiful. At least we'll not be in the area if that hillside decides to fall into the fjord.

Hello

Deck chair

I'll see your Gerainger and raise you a Flaam.

They're both beautiful and Gerainger (just) takes the prize for sights on the way in and out. But Flaam is the prettiest when you are there and at least there is something to do - you can take the Flaamsbana railway. If you are the only ship in port it's a berthing, otherwise the second to arrive has to tender.

Archived