gargoyles and Notre Dame PARIS

whtdog

:p OK we have a "challenge" to climb 387 steps to look over Paris and see a few gargoyles at the same time. But, not all of our group can manage 387 steps at a time. How are the stairways arranged? Are there landings to stop and rest? How long would you expect to set aside to meet Quasimodo:eek:? Let me know your thoughts on this one. There are no spring chickens in the group:rolleyes:.

:p OK we have a "challenge" to climb 387 steps to look over Paris and see a few gargoyles at the same time. But, not all of our group can manage 387 steps at a time. How are the stairways arranged? Are there landings to stop and rest? How long would you expect to set aside to meet Quasimodo:eek:? Let me know your thoughts on this one. There are no spring chickens in the group:rolleyes:.

Steep and circular..hard climb.There may be a couple of places to stop,but not many. I have not done it in forever,and would not do it now,but I will leave it to other's to give their opinion as to yes or no.

Cberge has it right (as usual). Those stairs are not for anyone having trouble with steps. On the other hand, the reward for getting up to the roof is an excellent close view of those Gargoyels and the flying buttresses. Being a seasoned senior we are glad we did this when we were younger :)

Hank

there's a lot of walking to do in paris

so unless you are in excellent shape,

choose your moments !!;)

we avoid stairs as much as possible,:eek:

use elevators, and take metro & taxis !!

So true -- but I thought the steps to the top of Notre Dame were very worthwhile. I climbed them on a previous visit to Paris and timed it so that I was at the top at noon when the bells were ringing; quite the experience.

On my most recent trip, we skipped the Notre Dame steps but did the Arc de Triomphe. It was a killer. (Notre Dame gets my vote as the better experience of the two....)

The view overlooking Paris from the towers of Notre Dame is magnificent, and if you are physically able to do it, should not be missed. There's the Seine below you, the city spread out before you, the Eiffel Tower in the distance, and the incredible gargoyles right there. In fact, of all the photographs I've taken in my travels, one of my absolute favorites is of that very scene, with a crouching, horned gargoyle in the foreground looking out over the Seine and the city; I'm staring at it now -- it's hanging on the wall across from my desk.

My visit to the top of Notre Dame was marred only by a woman who shouted in a very loud American voice "What's that river down there?" I wanted to curl up into a little ball, or at least pretend I was Canadian...

The view overlooking Paris from the towers of Notre Dame is magnificent, and if you are physically able to do it, should not be missed. There's the Seine below you, the city spread out before you, the Eiffel Tower in the distance, and the incredible gargoyles right there. In fact, of all the photographs I've taken in my travels, one of my absolute favorites is of that very scene, with a crouching, horned gargoyle in the foreground looking out over the Seine and the city; I'm staring at it now -- it's hanging on the wall across from my desk.

My visit to the top of Notre Dame was marred only by a woman who shouted in a very loud American voice "What's that river down there?" I wanted to curl up into a little ball, or at least pretend I was Canadian...

that is just too funny !!!!!:eek:

• 3 weeks later...

Could you share a photo or two? I would love it if you had the time.

Thanks

Mel

Archived