Google Chrome

bobnjeff

Does anyone know if Google Chrome is supported on the S-class ships. We were on the Connie in Dec. and we couldn't use it there. We are going on the Eclipse March 23rd and would like to know before. I only have Chrome on my netbook which is easier to travel with but I will bring my heavy old laptop if I have to if they do not support Chrome.

Kind of weird one specific browser wouldn't be supported. I generally use chrome and had no problem with it on my partners computer this past December on Eclipse. I only brought an ipad. Why not just put another browser on the computer and bring what computer you want? Google can sync your account and bookmarks across computers AND browsers if you don't mind big brother Google knowing...

Does anyone know if Google Chrome is supported on the S-class ships. We were on the Connie in Dec. and we couldn't use it there. We are going on the Eclipse March 23rd and would like to know before. I only have Chrome on my netbook which is easier to travel with but I will bring my heavy old laptop if I have to if they do not support Chrome.

I had a difficult time accessing the wifi on my nexus 7 tablet. At the time the only browser I had installed is Chrome. It was frustrating. There was a way to get around it--maybe it had something to do with my settings. By the end of the cruise I had figured out whatever that way was. I have installed another browser for my next cruise.

I would try installing another browser on your Netbook if you can.

Chrome is my preferred browser and I haven't noticed a problem with it on the ships. However, I also have several other browsers installed on my laptop and my desktop. All browsers have problems from time to time.

Not sure if I can install browsers other than Safari on my iPad, will have to check that out.

A browser should not make nary a difference.

Now if you have a chromebook that's running Google's OS that could be an issue. The wifi access points (AP) around the ship are open and just about any client should work in infrastructure mode. Check your device policy as it may not allow insecure connections. That is any wifi that does not require a passkey.

Additionally I highly recommend using the service of a VPN provider so your data and session is fully encrypted from snooping!

One such service is justfreevpn: http://www.justfreevpn.com/

We don't endorse the site, it's free and works well. All traffic is encrypted (encapsulated) so anyone else using a "sniffer" cannot see what sites you're visiting (or worse!) get your password if the site is not SSL enabled!

Cheers,

Norman

Archived