Yay! New SFO terminal is done!

shepp

Honestly, having negotiated the terminal something like a dozen times...it's a big old drafty shed. Big deal. I never saw a rat. I never smelled crap. The Platinum/Elite waiting area, while not particularly lovely, was still nicer than the crowded corner I endured in Port Everglades. And in fact, in its looming warehouse-ness, 35 seems a lot like the old Exploratorium space at the Palace of Fine Arts.

So Shepp you know I normally agree with you - and this is no exception. I understand that Pier 35 isn't the most spiffy of all of the US departure points, but it isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be - I think it's a matter of folks liking to get on the bashing band wagon.

Personally, I think the nicest pier that I've sailed from/to is the one in San Pedro....but as you point out, from the outside, it's concrete and ugly buildings. The inside is very nicely done and very efficient, but there's no character. At least Pier 35 gives people something to talk about.

My experiences at Pier 35 have been lovely. While there can be some hustle and bustle at the street, I've experienced some pretty major hustle and bustle in Ft. Lauderdale and Vancouver - two supposedly major cruise ports. As you say, the terminal inside is clean, doesn't stink, and works well. The busses that come into the terminal are separated from the main passenger embarkation area - the area to retrieve baggage for disembarkation is just as disorganized as any baggage retrieval area. The only issue that I see with the pier (besides the fact that the pilings need to be repaired before it falls into the bay) is that there's no cantilevered ramp from pier to ship that can be raised and lowered in accordance with the tide. There's been times when that ramp has been pretty steep.

I guess I don't happen to automatically think new is better and while I look forward to the new terminal and added efficiency, I'm going to miss the old girl.

I've never understood why just because something is old we have to tear it down. It's a pier in San Francisco and the building has lots of character. The building has history just like San Francisco. I find the look of the new building boring. It's ashame they couldn't have kept the outside of the old pier and remodeled the inside. I'm sure I will enjoy the new building but will miss the old girl.

I've never understood why just because something is old we have to tear it down. It's a pier in San Francisco and the building has lots of character. The building has history just like San Francisco. I find the look of the new building boring. It's ashame they couldn't have kept the outside of the old pier and remodeled the inside. I'm sure I will enjoy the new building but will miss the old girl.

Well, you may know that SF's preference for historical preservation (and the repurposing of old buildings and facades) is pretty strong, and I'm not even sure whether 35 will be torn down. (The new terminal is actually a fair distance away.)

I think the problem with remodeling the old piers is mostly the decayed pilings, though I'm not a expert. And then there's the jam-up because the entrance to 35 disgorges right onto the main Embarcadero sidewalk. The new arrangement will ameliorate that. And though the photos of the new terminal may not be thrilling, in person the details very are nice and the whole thing works well in the space. Plus, I understood it's been rat-proofed and Febreze is sprayed into the air at regular intervals. ;)

Well, clearly people have differing thresholds of "horror." I can only hope your friend never, ever has to go through the Tenderloin; she won't survive the experience. Or goes to a bus terminal in South America. Or a train station in India. Or...

Honestly, having negotiated the terminal something like a dozen times...it's a big old drafty shed. Big deal. I never saw a rat. I never smelled crap. The Platinum/Elite waiting area, while not particularly lovely, was still nicer than the crowded corner I endured in Port Everglades. And in fact, in its looming warehouse-ness, 35 seems a lot like the old Exploratorium space at the Palace of Fine Arts.

Sometimes I do wonder how much of the non-shore-excursioned world some of my fellow cruisers have actually seen. Yes folks, even San Francisco isn't all Pier 39 and Nordstrom. But I'm betting the new terminal will please everyone's refined sensibilities.

I agree with you.. even so looking forward to the new terminal.

I have gone out of SFO at least 6+ times in past 10 years. The only question I have is why has it suddenly become more chaotic and less pleasant... with folks waiting in long lines on the Embarcadero? Did not see this at all a few years back, seems strange to me.

I worked in the financial district at Sansome & Clay for 30+ years... the truth is rats are part of the city... even up on Nob Hill's high end hotels. A new terminal is not going to change that.

Well, you may know that SF's preference for historical preservation (and the repurposing of old buildings and facades) is pretty strong, and I'm not even sure whether 35 will be torn down. (The new terminal is actually a fair distance away.)

I think the problem with remodeling the old piers is mostly the decayed pilings, though I'm not a expert. And then there's the jam-up because the entrance to 35 disgorges right onto the main Embarcadero sidewalk. The new arrangement will ameliorate that. And though the photos of the new terminal may not be thrilling, in person the details very are nice and the whole thing works well in the space. Plus, I understood it's been rat-proofed and Febreze is sprayed into the air at regular intervals. ;)

Too Too funny. :)

Joe

I totally agree with Shepp, the terminal is just our boarding stop. We have sailed out of San Francisco maybe 6 or 7 times, the last time was in October of last year. Yes, we are Elite so we get the pleasure of being in the Elite lounge but we were not when we first sailed out of SF back in September of 2001. It took us several hours just to get inside the doors of that "rat infested, crappy old terminal". Even with having to stand outside on a beautiful fall day for hours we had a great time, we met some great friends, shared a few stories and waited with eager anticipation of boarding our cruise ship and sailing away for 15 days. The reason for our delay was post 9/11, security was on an all time high and lines were moving very slow as a result.

San Francisco is our "home port" we love sailing out of the city and have really had no issues at all with the terminal. For me, our vacation begins the moment I cross over and board the ship and if the terminal isn't the lobby of the Fairmont Hotel, oh well. I have never seen any rats, nor smelled anything of a foul nature any of the times I have entered the terminal.

I glimpse the new terminal every time I work out at the Bay Club across the street, and it looks sleek and modern. But with all the amenities aside, will the new terminal bring more Princess ships - other than the Grand - to San Francisco, and will it generate more itineraries ... say, SF to Beijing?!

We would love to see a greater diversity of ships and itineraries post-2014, but I'm not sure that's in the cards ...

Oh I have been biting my tongue, many of you know I work at the pier and have for about 10 years. Have NEVER seen a rat, never smelled anything foul. As far as being cold, what the heck isn't cold in SF in the summer? Yes, it is an "old girl" but she gets the job done and (as far as Princess) has the highest ratings of any of the terminals in the US for efficiency by the staff. As for waiting outside of the terminal and the long lines lately. It is simply a new security system put in place by TSA that basically will not let us open the terminal to checking in passengers until all of the disembarking passengers have left the ship.

Archived