Oceania Air-San Francisco to Rome

skiladyldp

Hello, I have never taken Oceania's air before but will use it on my next cruise. Do they have a specific carrier that they use and route for San Francisco to Rome. Our return will be from Rome to San Francisco too. Thanks for any help. This is only our second cruise so we are still newbe's.

skiladyldp

Suggest that you do a search on one of the travel websites for flights San Francisco to Rome and return for your travel dates. Pick the ones that you prefer and have your TA request those flights from Oceania. Oceania will give you those flights with no extra charge, give you the flights with a deviation fee or give you the flights with an up charge. It is your choice to accept any of the Oceania offers.

Cheers,

Don

skiladyldp

Suggest that you do a search on one of the travel websites for flights San Francisco to Rome and return for your travel dates. Pick the ones that you prefer and have your TA request those flights from Oceania. Oceania will give you those flights with no extra charge, give you the flights with a deviation fee or give you the flights with an up charge. It is your choice to accept any of the Oceania offers.

Cheers,

Don

Slight clarification. If you accept the flight change request there wil always be the now $300 couple deviation fee which is an administration charge to arrange the booking. It is not refundable as the work has been done even if you cancel.

Hello, I have never taken Oceania's air before but will use it on my next cruise. Do they have a specific carrier that they use and route for San Francisco to Rome. Our return will be from Rome to San Francisco too. Thanks for any help. This is only our second cruise so we are still newbe's.

In my experience the most frequently use Star Alliance but have been offered routes with Delta

Slight clarification. If you accept the flight change request there wil always be the now $300 couple deviation fee which is an administration charge to arrange the booking. It is not refundable as the work has been done even if you cancel.

In my experience the most frequently use Star Alliance but have been offered routes with Delta

Delta may use a code share with alitalia... which is a pretty crummy flight and equipment.

This is a LoOOOOng flight I would at least book business class for the SFO to FCO as it is 9 hour change, and a 12 hour flight; an over night flight too and at the start of the cruise where coach will whack you for several days .

Return back but coach, but starting out fresh as a daisy to enjoy the cruise is important.

Delta may use a code share with alitalia... which is a pretty crummy flight and equipment.

This is a LoOOOOng flight I would at least book business class for the SFO to FCO as it is 9 hour change, and a 12 hour flight; an over night flight too and at the start of the cruise where coach will whack you for several days .

Return back but coach, but starting out fresh as a daisy to enjoy the cruise is important.

I wasn't recommending Delta only answering their question as to what is a likely carrier. Delta was an example of an airline that is not a member of Star Alliance but was one of the choices I was offered in a valiant effort by O's deviation dept to get me to where I wanted to be in a certain time frame. That routing even involved a transfer to a different airline with a tight transfer time - I declined.

If you are flying in early or staying a few days after the cruise

I recommend you pick the flights you want & ask your TA to request those flights for you

I use this site to see what is available

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

When you accept them you will pay the deviation fee as noted above & maybe an upcharge

Worth the peace of mind to pick the flights

You could also take the air credit & just book your own

Compare both methods then decide

Lyn

Thanks again everyone for the information. We are coming in 3 nights pre cruise so we will have a little bit to adjust to the time.

Well if using O air you will be paying the deviation fee so may as well book the flights you want ;)

Unless you are taking the hotel package from O then I think you are at the mercy of the air dept

Lyn

We flew the SFO-FCO route for an O cruise with air we bought ourselves. Couldn't find a nonstop at that time so we chose British Airways and changed planes in Heathrow. BA was ok (economy is never great, but at least the FAs were pleasant and everything (A/V system etc) worked as it should). It does take a while to change planes for an international connection; give yourself enough time, & research possible issues at any connecting airport using the Skytrax website\airport reviews.

Whatever flights you choose, if you don't have a nonstop try to connect on an airline offering a second flight you could use as a 'backup' leaving later in the day. For our LHR-FCO connection, there was another plane leaving a couple hours later, in case we had missed our original connecting flight. It's easier to get rebooked onto another flight of the same carrier if you have delays and miss your connection.

I mention BA because we booked air on BA through an O deviation for later this year. At least it might offer you an option to Delta...

Also, good choice to come into Rome early! We did the same and found it wonderful.

Whatever flights you choose, if you don't have a nonstop try to connect on an airline offering a second flight you could use as a 'backup' leaving later in the day. For our LHR-FCO connection, there was another plane leaving a couple hours later, in case we had missed our original connecting flight. It's easier to get rebooked onto another flight of the same carrier if you have delays and miss your connection.

Good advice I you cant go a day earlier . :)

If it was me I would go Luthansa in an A380 from SFO to FRA and onto FCO

1 Flight from SFO and 6 from FRA to FCO.

Or even better fly to FRA , stay at one of the the Hilton's

HL_hotelexterior01_675x359_FitToBoxSmallDimension_Center.jpg

over the FRA railway Station and catch an ICE 2 to Cologne following the Rhine then come back

to FRA on the really super duper fast ICE 3 [iCE 3 version (class 407)]

• Köln Hbf.............Th, 14.03.13...........dep 19:57 ....... Platform 6
  • Siegburg/Bonn.................................dep 20:12.........Platform 6
  • Frankfurt(M) Flughafen Fernbf............arr 20:50..........Platform Fern 5

• Intercity-Express (ICE ) Bordbistro, Wifi available

Then onto FCO

Deutsche Bahn AG

Hilton Garden Inn Frankfurt Airport

HILTON FRANKFURT AIRPORT

We flew to Rome for an O cruise last year but I got air myself. We flew on Air Canada to Toronto with a 3 hour layover before continuing to Rome. This was a good break since it's a long flight. On the way back, we flew from Venice to Muncih on Lufthansa with a two hour layover and continued to SFO. Both airlines were good and the layovers were just right. I could not find a nonstop at the time but I liked having a layover anyway.

The airfare is so expensive now I am considering Oceania's air for our next trip. Our cruise is in June, 2014 so I am in the very early planning stage.

We flew to Rome for an O cruise last year but I got air myself. We flew on Air Canada to Toronto with a 3 hour layover before continuing to Rome. This was a good break since it's a long flight. On the way back, we flew from Venice to Muncih on Lufthansa with a two hour layover and continued to SFO. Both airlines were good and the layovers were just right. I could not find a nonstop at the time but I liked having a layover anyway.

The airfare is so expensive now I am considering Oceania's air for our next trip. Our cruise is in June, 2014 so I am in the very early planning stage.

If one is concerned about air fares, and you should, then pick one airline..I choose United because of its huge system, ease of building miles rapidly and ease of getting an award seat. Start now and charge the cruise and every other thing you do and in a few short years you have your international business or first class seats racking up I have done this for years and cant remember the last time I paid for an international first or business ticket.....( this year ..2013 I have already gotten $18,000 in free air you can too.) Gott'a start somewhere.

Use the credit card issued by the airline not a one card for all.. you will loose in the long run if you dont.

The SFO to Frankfurt is best done by UAL flight 900/901 as I recall... I have used it. UAL/Star alliance have 8 or 9 flight options a day SFO to FRA and beyond.

Rather than flying into Rome, consider this great option,:D Take the train! The train station is in the baggage claim of Frankfurt airport.. The train trip to Rome takes you on a wonderful tour across Germany, Switzerland and Italy. I have done that on past cruises out of Venice... Consider it a mini cruise..and the scenery is fantastic...loads of fun you arrive in down town Rome and dont have to pay $150 for a transfer from the airport...WIN-WIN

Hawaiidan, we got the United Plus card in November right after we finished our cruise! We have been building miles like crazy just like you said. We charge everything we can to it. Thanks for suggesting alternatives but I think we still want to fly into Rome this time. We are very new to traveling overseas. Last October was our first cruise and international trip. By the way, up until last May, we were living 1/2 time in Honolulu and 1/2 time in San Jose, Ca. We need to stay put in San Jose for a couple of years to parent our grandson and when he graduates we will live in Hawaii again.

Archived