Flam Railway-Later Trains

katrus-83

We are visiting Flam on the Ryndam in May and we would like to buy our own train tickets on the day. We were wondering if we would be more likely to get a seat if we were to use the railway later in the day (say around 11:00).

Also, does anyone know if there are any speed boat trips (I think there called RIB trips/rides) from the places that we visit - Bergen, Flam, Alesund and Eidfjord?

Thanks.

We are visiting Flam on the Ryndam in May and we would like to buy our own train tickets on the day. We were wondering if we would be more likely to get a seat if we were to use the railway later in the day (say around 11:00).

Also, does anyone know if there are any speed boat trips (I think there called RIB trips/rides) from the places that we visit - Bergen, Flam, Alesund and Eidfjord?

Thanks.

Flam has a RIB boat tour. I'm trying to squeeze in the train and the boat ride.

http://www.fjordsafari.com/

Flam has a RIB boat tour. I'm trying to squeeze in the train and the boat ride.

http://www.fjordsafari.com/

That's what we did, we took an early train but had purchased our tickets before we arrived in Flam. To the OP, part of the answer on 11:00 will depend on how many ships are in port and what time the ship,excursions will be on the train.

If you go to this site http://www.flambooking.com/booking.aspx and plug in your date, it will show what trains are running that day and more importantly, how many seats are left. On the day we are there, most trains are already nearly full (ie less than 10 seats remaining). Glad we group booked In January!

Simon

Does anyone know how timely the train is? We are booked on the morning train and have only 10 minutes to get to the fjord safari excursion. They say they are just a very short distance apart so no problem if the train is on time.

I thought I read somewhere that Norwegian trains are noted for their punctuality. I'm hoping so.

Does anyone know how timely the train is? We are booked on the morning train and have only 10 minutes to get to the fjord safari excursion. They say they are just a very short distance apart so no problem if the train is on time.

I thought I read somewhere that Norwegian trains are noted for their punctuality. I'm hoping so.

When I did the journey last year, the returning train was held at the summit, Myrdal, for several minutes to await the arrival of the delayed train from Bergen. There was a large group of passengers on the Bergen train who were booked on the down train to Flåm. Sorry to have probably increased your anxiety level.

Dermot

If you go to this site http://www.flambooking.com/booking.aspx and plug in your date, it will show what trains are running that day and more importantly, how many seats are left. On the day we are there, most trains are already nearly full (ie less than 10 seats remaining). Glad we group booked In January!

Simon

I'm not 100% sure this is accurate info but I've read that they always hold back a certain number of seats for individuals to purchase. Therefore, since you can only reserve in advance for groups of 10 or more it would seem that the number of remaining seats showing on the website might not reflect the actual number available (i.e. just the number of seats remaining for advanced group reservations).

Ours was punctual but they can be delayed. The walk from the train to the Fjord Safari is about 3 minutes (heck nothing is more then 3 minutes away in Flam ;)). Does your 10 minute time line inlcude being there 30 minutes before you leave? When you get to the rib boats, it takes a little while before you can leave as they have to get you dressed up in a version of a dry suit (like used in scuba diving).

Ours was punctual but they can be delayed. The walk from the train to the Fjord Safari is about 3 minutes (heck nothing is more then 3 minutes away in Flam ;)). Does your 10 minute time line inlcude being there 30 minutes before you leave? When you get to the rib boats, it takes a little while before you can leave as they have to get you dressed up in a version of a dry suit (like used in scuba diving).

They didn't mention that to us when I explained we would be coming from the train. However the excursion we are trying to book goes first by bus to Gudvangen where we would board the boat back to Flam. I would assume we could change there in Gudvangen.

I am trying to get a handle on this too - although we are planning on taking the sightseeing boat instead of the "fast boats." I wrote to the company and asked if this was possible, and she said yes, that was how she would book it herself...but she recommended we purchase the boat tickets in advance of our arrival because it could get busy that day.

There are 25 minutes from the scheduled train arrival to the 11:00 AM departure of the boat, more than enough IF everything is on schedule...but I hate the thought of having $125 worth of tickets go to waste if the train is delayed. Is it a gamble worth taking? or should I gamble on picking up the tickets when the train pulls back into the station at 10:35 in the morning?

Maddle

Have you had success booking the fjordsafari (RIB boats) in Flam online? I haven't been able to access it.

I think it says to email them stating what you want and they will send a booking form. I'm still in the stage of asking questions and they aren't responding except for the first email. Maybe they are still trying to get organized for the summer months... Or maybe they are negotiating for ships tours and don't want to fill spots till they know. It is frustrating.

From web page: Please contact us : post@flamguide.no for booking. In order to have a confirmed reservation you must send us an e-mail with what tour you wish to go on, how many adults/children and date. When we have this information and have available capacity we will send you a booking form that you must fill out and sign. When the form is signed and sent back to us the reservation is binding. You will find our cancellation policy on the bokking form.

emckeeve - not the RIB boats, but the cruise thru the "Narrow Fjord" on the link

http://bookingsognefjorden.visitflam.com/?ProductID=30139335-ed28-46bf-8d05-daf5942b11af

for the booking page, and for the information page

http://www.visitflam.com/sognefjorden/

I wrote the them and received a nice response saying it could be done the way I laid out the plan (round trip early train, and then the boat/bus ride) but I am skittish because there is such a short connection time.

Maddle

PS: SoBayCruiser - I bet we are neighbors!

Archived