Cruise Critic's 2013 Cruisers Choice Awards

skyeman27

As always I logged on to Cruise Critic like I do everyday and noticed the 2013 Awards had been announced. It is glaringly evident that Carnival is all but absent in almost every category. I begin wondering about why that is/would be?? Any thoughts or ideas as to why this is the case. I notice that R. Carribean and Disney are heavily awarded. Could it be that Carnival is the big kid on the block and people just wanna knock them?/

Let me preface this by saying I am not knocking Carnival. I have taken 4 cruises with Carnival(and had a blast everytime!!!) and have my 5th booked on the Liberty for April 6. and am counting down the days :-)

Brian

As always I logged on to Cruise Critic like I do everyday and noticed the 2013 Awards had been announced. It is glaringly evident that Carnival is all but absent in almost every category. I begin wondering about why that is/would be?? Any thoughts or ideas as to why this is the case. I notice that R. Carribean and Disney are heavily awarded. Could it be that Carnival is the big kid on the block and people just wanna knock them?/

Let me preface this by saying I am not knocking Carnival. I have taken 4 cruises with Carnival(and had a blast everytime!!!) and have my 5th booked on the Liberty for April 6. and am counting down the days :-)

Brian

soapbxking, You will enjoy the Liberty. The cover band will be Music Degree and they are great. Have them play some Pink Floyd for you and please tell them the guy with the PF tee shirts said hello:D Pink

Disney offers a great product but at a considerable price premium. Royal Caribbean deals with shear volume. I do not like RCI but many do. Perhaps they campaign. I don't know but I have never received a request to rate these ships. I place little faith in these ratings.

I haven't cruised on either RC or Disney but have heard that Disney's service is par none. However, for me, the price of the cruise doesn't justify going on vacation with them. Just don't have that much $$$ to throw down when we like to cruise with family, and usually am paying for 5 people. Have cruised Celebrity and again, suburb service and food, but you know what? I have always enjoyed my Carnival cruises...with the exception of one Glory cruise where the 12-14 year old crowd was running rampant. Not Carnivals fault other being affordable for parents to take their kids, but then forget to lay down rules for proper behavior. So to answer your question, I'm not really sure because Carnivals workers deserve some sort of award for always smiling despite their long hours, poor pay, and sometimes rude guests. Just my opinion.

I don't care about the awards, what I want is a great Vacation. I have been on 9 carnival cruises and they have been Great. I have my platium cruise book for the summer. I just got $60 dollars back and upgraded to the Empress deck from main. Thats a total of 260 dollars since I first booked the cruise. Carnival is great! My PVP Orlando is great, doing this at 10pm when he works the day shift. He can't have much personal life he has been doing this all evening for my family and other cruisers.

In a way, it's kind of like when movie critics rate a movie. Why is it that some movies that get a less than favorable review from the critics do really well at the box office, while some movies that are highly praised by the critics barely break even? Just as with the movies, most customers know what they like and what they want in a cruise, and don't always pay attention to what the critics say. While I'm sure Carnival wouldn't mind getting some type of award that could be hung on the wall or displayed on a shelf, customer loyalty and repeat business is a more meaningful award.

Brian

Maybe it means they are better

When you're double the price, I would hope you're better! From what I hear it's pretty darn close.

Not even close. On RC you pay a little more and get a lot more in my opinion. We've been on many Carnival and Royal C cruises al loved them all, but RC is better.

Not even close. On RC you pay a little more and get a lot more in my opinion. We've been on many Carnival and Royal C cruises al loved them all, but RC is better.

Hey I believe you! I woke up one morning and Oasis was backed in next to us and I thought it was a giant apartment building. Lol

For the price I pay I think Carnival gives me my money worth but some people think they should get Royal treatment for Carnivals prices.

Disney offers a great product but at a considerable price premium. Royal Caribbean deals with shear volume. I do not like RCI but many do. Perhaps they campaign. I don't know but I have never received a request to rate these ships. I place little faith in these ratings.

CCL has as many ships if not more than RCI and they each have about the same number of berths, so when it comes to volume, they are about equal. Also, it doesn't appear you realize how the ratings are arrived at. The ratings are based on Cruise Critic Members, which you are one, reviews of their cruise. You will not be asked to rate the ships, you have to write a review for your voice to be heard in the ratings. So the members that have written reviews must feel RCI, Disney, Celebrity and the other highly rated ships are better than what the members who have rated the Carnival ships think of them.

Gregg

The poll has absolutely no merit, so ignore it. They call it reader's choice or whatever name they give it, but they don't actually poll anyone from what I know. They skew it heavily against Carnival. From what I've read, it appears they base it on reviews. One way to try to skew it in Carnival's favor next year is for everyone who even remotely likes Carnival to start giving all Carnival cruises they've been on extremely positive reviews on CC. Personally, I tend to ignore the reviews anyway, because people love to complain and will complain about the smallest, most insignificant thing.

Good replies one and all!! Yeah.. I was wondering how they came about these ratings myself. Like I said I have always liked Carnival, still do, but am hoping I can sail a few other lines in the future, Princess being the main one I would like to try.

The poll has absolutely no merit, so ignore it. They call it reader's choice or whatever name they give it, but they don't actually poll anyone from what I know. They skew it heavily against Carnival. From what I've read, it appears they base it on reviews. One way to try to skew it in Carnival's favor next year is for everyone who even remotely likes Carnival to start giving all Carnival cruises they've been on extremely positive reviews on CC. Personally, I tend to ignore the reviews anyway, because people love to complain and will complain about the smallest, most insignificant thing.

I am not sure why they bother with a poll when only a small percentage of cruisers have even heard of CC. On our Fantasy cruise last Dec, the only people that knew what CC was were on our Roll Call. We met many others who had no idea CC existed. We've had 2 great cruises with Carnival and have another booked, but I never did a review because someone on our Roll Call did one.

Archived