Hellesylt to Geiranger

bj24

We are on the Crown Princess which offers a land tour from Hellesylt to Geiranger. If you take this tour wouldn't you miss the scenery sailing into the Geiranger fjord where you dock? I figured you could see the same scenery sailing out, but I am not sure if it will be dark at 6:00pm in September.

We are on the Crown Princess which offers a land tour from Hellesylt to Geiranger. If you take this tour wouldn't you miss the scenery sailing into the Geiranger fjord where you dock? I figured you could see the same scenery sailing out, but I am not sure if it will be dark at 6:00pm in September.

Hi Claudia,

We're booked on the tour based on many emphatic very good recommendations. We will see the fjord on the sail out and sunset isn't until 8:32PM. Check out this thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1404567

At the autumn equinox (22nd September) sunset is at 6 pm local time everywhere in the world. Allow for daylight saving and for the fjords being in Western Norway, and there'll be no problem.

As for where to watch from, the open deck has the best views if you're fairly mobile. You want to see both the Seven Sisters waterfall and the Suitor, which look at each other across the fjord.

I'm wondering if we should do the sail out up in Skywalker's (Princess line) or from our balcony. Obviously, from the balcony, we'd only see one side (we're on the starboard side).

We're on the Crown and I plan on being on the area immediately above the bridge if it's open or the bow of the Promenade Deck (Deck 7). This way we'll get the best view from both sides of the ship.

Yes, that type of land tour from Hellesylt to Geiranger can be very, very good. It allows you to see and sample more of the "up country" areas of Norway. With another cruise line in July 2010, we did that tour and it was very interesting, informative. You can see more below on my live/blog, plus also shown are a few of my visual highlights.

Agree that you'll be able to see the super scenery in sailing out of from Geiranger. Hellesylt is not a large village, but it was a starting point for our overland tour. In most cases, you don’t take the tender into this port unless you have a tour departing from this point. Its options as a village are very limited.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 97,458 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

On our eight-hour “Overland from Hellesylt to Geiranger” bus tour, we stopped at the Jostedalsbreen National Park with these great views, even on a cloudy and foggy day. The rains had stopped by this point in the tour. These visuals include a nearby village scene and the grass on the top of a small building along Lake Strynsvatn. This park has the largest glacier on the European mainland and covers 510 sq. miles with the glaciers covering about 310 sq. miles. The main visitor's "centre" building was constructed in a manner similar to Viking longhouses where pillars rather than the walls are supporting the roof. This Centre in Oppstryn shows how the glacier and the landscape were shaped by water and ice through films, videos, computer programs and models. Its website for more information is:

http://www.jostedalsbre.no/engelsk/senter.htm

FjordsNatParkWaterBridge.jpg

At the Videseter Hotel where we had lunch on the way to Geiranger, we saw a spectacular waterfall and then a cute sheep (up close and personal) at this scenic high mountain elevation location.:

FjordsHotelWaterfall.jpg

FjordSheepFace.jpg

This is the super scenic view from immediately above Geiranger that shows the Silver Cloud and Costa ships tendered. A little before this picture, we were to go to Mt. Dalsnibba as a photo stop from this 4,920-foot vantage for the snow-covered surrounding mountains, icy glaciers, crystalline lakes and Geirangerfjord far below. We went there, but it was totally “socked in”. It was so thick, you could barely find your bus on this day on top of the big mountain crowded with lots of buses from the Costa ship. But this view, at a lower level, makes up for that problems and provided a wonderful vista.:

FjordsFinalPortLongView.jpg

After being tendered from Geiranger, we sailed out and passed by two super famous waterfalls. YES, yes, we saw lots and lots of waterfalls on this trip, but these two were among the “best of the best”. First is the “Seven Sisters”. Next shown is directly opposite in this narrow fjord and is called several names, including “The Suitor”. The majesty for these feats of nature is pretty amazing.:

FjordWaterfallSevenSisters-1.jpg

FjordWaterfallSuitor-1.jpg

We're on the Crown and I plan on being on the area immediately above the bridge if it's open or the bow of the Promenade Deck (Deck 7). This way we'll get the best view from both sides of the ship.

YES! In these great fjord areas being up on "top" of the ship allows seeing the wonderful sights on BOTH sides. Lots of interesting things to see. You want to be flexible. The rear of many ships can be good as you are getting a 180 degree plus view, and are sheltered some from the winds and weather. Below are a few more visual sights to get you excited for your upcoming adventure.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 97,458 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Next to the Videseter Hotel on our way to Geiranger when going “up country”, we saw this spectacular waterfall at this scenic high mountain elevation location. You can see how small is the hotel/dining building at the top to the right of waterfall to give an idea on the massive scale for this natural wonder. When you go beyond just the port stop village, you can better experience “ALL” that is there and around in these scenic parts of Norway.:

Fjord2WaterfallTallHotelNear.jpg

As we were driving to Geiranger, this was an example of a valley, farm area, nearby mountains, etc., view.:

Fjord2FarmValleyGreen.jpg

At the end of our visit to Geiranger, our last fjord stop, here was this cute troll to whom our friend Sharon decided to give a little hug and big chin tickle.:

FjordHuggingTroll.jpg

I'm wondering if we should do the sail out up in Skywalker's (Princess line) or from our balcony. Obviously, from the balcony, we'd only see one side (we're on the starboard side).

I'll agree with the others that you'll want to be able to view both sides for the first hour or more at least after you depart that afternoon. The 7 Sisters Falls and the Suitor Falls on the other side are a great site to see. If you're lucky your ship might actually come to a stop or near stop at this point in the fjord. On the Celebrity Constellation, we stopped for 5-10 minutes between those falls when we got to that point in the fjord. It was great to be able to take great pictures of both sides before moving on. The captain opened the helicopter pad on the bow for about an hour or so as we did the sail away and that was a great location be at that point.

Like many has posted already the best place to view the sail out of the fjord is all the way forward. Either the top deck or if the ship has an outside deck forward.

The balcony for the first 1-2 hours of the Fjord - from Geiranger to Hellesylt has to be viewed on the top deck. The rest of the fjord you can enjoy on your balcony having dinner. That`s what we did and loved it.

September is late fall but you will have daylight at 6pm.

We don't get darkness at 6pm before November.

I actually live in Aalesund and our family has an old farm in Geiranger:)

Archived