Electrical Plugs/Sockets

Hi Everyone

This is my first post here! :)

Just wondering what the deal is with power sockets on the ship (Alaska with HAL). I've bought a NZ to US converter, but its a 3 pin and I saw on here somewhere that some ships only have 2 pin? Can someone confirm if the outlets in my cabin will be US 3 pin.

I was also wondering about the difference in voltage - can someone please explain that in words of one syllable or less. I don't want to fry my gadgets!

I did have the idea too that as several of my toys are charged via USB cable and a plug that takes the male USB, that it might be an idea to drop into a JB Hi-fi equivalent on one of our pre-cruise days in Vancouver and pick up the US equivalent - then it would simply be a case of plugging the USB cable into the US plug.

Any advice?

TIA :D

Hi Everyone

This is my first post here! :)

Just wondering what the deal is with power sockets on the ship (Alaska with HAL). I've bought a NZ to US converter, but its a 3 pin and I saw on here somewhere that some ships only have 2 pin? Can someone confirm if the outlets in my cabin will be US 3 pin.

I was also wondering about the difference in voltage - can someone please explain that in words of one syllable or less. I don't want to fry my gadgets!

I did have the idea too that as several of my toys are charged via USB cable and a plug that takes the male USB, that it might be an idea to drop into a JB Hi-fi equivalent on one of our pre-cruise days in Vancouver and pick up the US equivalent - then it would simply be a case of plugging the USB cable into the US plug.

Any advice?

TIA :D

Welcome aboard

USA should be two flat pins and a round earth pin, if that round pin is not there it just means the appliance is not earthed like a men's shaver outlet

Have a look here,

http://www.ausbt.com.au/what-power-point-plug-do-i-need-around-the-world

http://www.interpower.com/ic/designers/designing-for-export/guides-and-charts/guide-to-worldwide-plugs-and-sockets-patterns-power-mains-single-phase/

Many Ships will have USA and European outlets, you can buy universal adaptors that will suit all of these outlets.

I believe NZ use the same pin set up as Australia.

When it comes to voltage, things like Mobile Phones and Computers do not matter so much about using the lower USA voltage as they have their own power supply that steps the outlet voltage down to a low voltage that they like.

Things like Hair Straighteners like a higher voltage and that is why some people take Euro adaptors as they are only slightly less voltage than NZ.

If you need a USB outlet in the Adaptor you need something like this

http://www.traveluniverse.com.au/AU-to-USA-Canada-3-pin-Travel-Adaptor-with-USB-Socket-Jackson/PTA8809USB.htm?feed=MyShopping.com.au&gdftrk=gdfV2426_a_7c507_a_7c1675_a_7cPTA8809USB&utm_source=myshopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Travel+Accessories&utm_term=AU+to+USA+Canada+3+pin+Travel+Adaptor+with+USB+Socket+Ja#.US8M2DDqh8E

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info Mikey22 - my adaptor is a 3 pin US with the round earth pin. I'm really only taking gadgets (cameras/tablet). My hair definitely doesn't need straighteners and only sees a blow dryer at the hairdressers :D.

Thanks for the welcome Kiwi_cruiser & NSWP - we're on the Zaandam - hopefully my countdown clock will show in this post!

Its crazy - I've only ever been as far as Melbourne and after nearly 20 years of marriage my DH and I haven't managed to get overseas together and now we've somehow managed to find ourselves tripping to the other side of the world for an all-singing, all-dancing, action-packed Alaskan Criusetour with side trips to Vancouver and San Francisco!!! :eek: :D

Here is a thread on the HAL board that has a picture of powerpoints on a ship. From memory the actual sockets are the same as the Zaandam. I usually use the European one too because of the similar voltage.

There is a fantastic website put together by IRL_Joanie that has so many pictures and so much information on all the HAL ships. The link is this:

http://abqreunion2008.com/Zaandam/index.html

Archived