Hopin' I got a Lil' Sailor

In the process of adopting a child from the state, and last week was our first full-day outing to the aquarium at LB. We had lots of fun :cool: and I'm looking forward to good times in the future too. Before going into the aquarium we were walking around the small craft basin and he was asking "can we go on the boat", "can we go out on that one to see the fish ... ". (We will be going out on a whale-watching trip in a few weeks or so, and so I told him that we will be going on one soon).

Hopefully he has good sea-legs, and does not get sea-sick. Praying for the former to be case, because he is joining a family of sea-dogs. Well at least a 2 hour boat trip will be short enough to know if I am stocking up on sea-sickness meds for future trips. No full cruises until he is legally adopted - so hopefully all goes smoothly and speedily.

(I guess I'll be following this forum more often in future :) ).

Congratulations!!! Sounds like the sailing interest is there - hope the sea legs are too. Our dd was born two years ago tomorrow and we adopted her from birth. Best thing that ever happened to us. She just went on her first cruise over New Years and loved it. The finalization takes a while and then you need the revised birth certificate to get a passport. It was almost a year until we had her birth certificate. At least you're by the water already and can do a few "practice" sailings. Hope the rest of your adoption process is smooth sailing too!

Congrats! We adopted our son from foster care in June of 2012. He was a little over 3 at the time. It has been interesting, to say the least. We'd fostered him off and on the majority of his life. We are taking him on his first cruise in October. We had his birth certificate in a little over a month from our finalization.

Edited by luvsviola

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Well, the adoption took longer than planned, and was finalized late last year. Lil' sailor ain't so little any more ;) but he is a lot more settled and our family is much more bonded.

Received the new BC within 4 weeks for California and the passport arrived within 17 days (regular service). So appreciative of the speedy service provided. Booked our first family cruise for next month. :D

Congratulations!!!! So happy that it all worked out for you. It always seems to take longer than expected. We brought our dd home from the hospital but our court date wasn't until she was 8 months old and got the birth certificate just before a year old. You will have so much fun on your first cruise together as a forever family!

Edited by travelhound