Dawn or Sapphire Princess to Mexico?

marial

Hi,

We are trying to decide between the Dawn 10 day in November or the Sapphire 7 day to the Mexican Riveria. I like the itinery of the Dawn, but it is older and smaller than the Sapphire, and am wondering if I would be disappointed in the Dawn. Can anyone who has recently been on the Dawn let me know how they felt about the condition of the ship and amenities. My last Princess sailing was on the Grand a few years back. Thanks

Maria

I just booked the 10/11/05 Dawn trip. This will complete our quartet of Sun Class ship travels having been on the Ocean, Sea and Sun. From what I've been able to read the Dawn is in good condition and not showing her age at all. The Sun, the oldest of the four, is in great shape. We were on her in April.

The Sun class is our second favorite class. The Coral class is our favorite. We don't care for the Grand Classes that much.

We picked the Dawn for the following reasons:

10 days - 7 is simply not enough

The Golden Gate Bridge - I want to sail under her.

The Dawn - While not having all the amenities of the Grand class, is a much more intimate ship. Lots of nooks and crannies, but still more than enough to keep up entertained. We found the Star last December to be nice, but too crowded at functions and dinner.

The Price - Around $100 per person per day for a balcony cabin is a bargain.

You will not be disappointed with either choice. But if you want a more lively night life, the Sapphire is the place to be. 7 Day sailings attract a younger crowd and there is simply more people on the ship. The Sapphire will have many more eating venues as well.

On all of our Sun class cruises, we end up eating mainly in the dining room because we have so much fun with our table mates and the waiters.

If you have any other questions, just ask.

I will be on the Dawn SF/Mexico/SF cruise, December 10th. It will be my 3rd time on the ship. She is a perfect size and in great condition. You can do a search here and read some of the comments and reviews posted.

Hubby and I are booked on the Dawn 10/11 also (hope to meet you CCRAIN) and we had the same thoughts. We sailed the Star 3 years ago, 7 days out of LA, Mexican Riveria. Loved the huge balcony, big ship, etc. I was a little worried going on a smaller older ship with a small balcony. Living in the SF Bay Area we couldn't pass up sailing out of SF and under the GG Bridge plus it is for 10 days. Everything I have read about the Dawn has been good stuff. We can't wait. Don't hesitate, book it!!!!

Murphey has just posted a review of her 15 day cruise on the Dawn. It is on the 2nd page of threads. It should give you a pretty good feel for the Dawn. We are cruising on her in November. We were on the Sapphire last August on an Alaskan Cruise and loved the ship.

For me, the choice would be easy - 10 nights on the Dawn.

Three nights longer is a big plus - and I for one prefer the size of the Dawn to the Sapphire.

Any ship that can't go through the Panama Canal is too large!

For me it would be easy as well - 10 nights on the Dawn. Seven days is just not enough. We were on the Sun Princess in February and she was still in great shape. The Dawn is a year or two newer so it might be even better.

I love the Sun class ships -- wish they would build a new one.

We are also on the Dawn on 12/10. We've been on both the Sun and Dawn on previous cruises and they are both in great shape. Personally, I prefer the size of the Sun class ships. We were on the Star last December and will be on the Sapphire to Alaska in three weeks. These are great ships too, but they are huge! It's a long walk from one end to the other!

We were on the Dawn last March and most of our group has booked for the 10 r/t Mexico trip for 3/10/06..need I say more. I also like the size of the ship. I was a big fan of the Royal and do perfer smaller ships but also the longer cruises. 7 days just isn't enough unless I just can't get more time off.

Hubby and I are booked on the Dawn 10/11 also (hope to meet you CCRAIN) and we had the same thoughts. We sailed the Star 3 years ago, 7 days out of LA, Mexican Riveria. Loved the huge balcony, big ship, etc. I was a little worried going on a smaller older ship with a small balcony. Living in the SF Bay Area we couldn't pass up sailing out of SF and under the GG Bridge plus it is for 10 days. Everything I have read about the Dawn has been good stuff. We can't wait. Don't hesitate, book it!!!!

I'm trying to get some more of the CC people to book. The more the merrier. Keep in mind the original Sun was the largest cruise ship at the time. Its funny the ships keep getting bigger and we refer to older "mega" ships as now "small". I will miss Sabatini's, but the pizzeria almost makes up for it.

Murphey has just posted a review of her 15 day cruise on the Dawn. It is on the 2nd page of threads. It should give you a pretty good feel for the Dawn. We are cruising on her in November. We were on the Sapphire last August on an Alaskan Cruise and loved the ship.

Yup, that's me....just got off from 2 weeks on her and would be happy to answer any additional questions you may have!! Have not had the opportunity to sail on the Sapphire yet, however if you have the time and the price is right, 10 days always wins out over 7! :D

Archived