LIVE: MSC Fantasia 17 night repositioning cruise Santos Brazil to Venice 5 March 2013

All aboard??

san54.jpg

Followed by me. Here is the shot out of my window of the Fantasia just leaving Venice. The Grand Canal is the inverted 'S' through the middle. All of Venice and the Fantasia on one photo - not bad eh?

That is the lot except for Max's caipirinha demo: http://youtu.be/XE-EnFj1rns. Remember, he only puts the special ingredient in after the camera is turned off.

Enjoy!

Tim.

san54.jpg

Followed by me. Here is the shot out of my window of the Fantasia just leaving Venice. The Grand Canal is the inverted 'S' through the middle. All of Venice and the Fantasia on one photo - not bad eh?

Tim.

A really great shot! Venice is one of the most fantastic harbours to arrive to / leave from, by ship.

The ship even passes by the "Saint Marcus Square"...the church is very visible at your picture.

Thanks a lot for your great report on Cruise Critic!

My dream (when having the time and the possibility) is to do a (Trans-Atlantic) repositioning cruise myself.

However, my biggest problem is that my wife is totally uninterested.

Tim, thank you for posting all the photographs . Some very happy memories. I have not tried yet to get my memory card repaired.

Keith and I were sitting by the waterfront when the Fantasia left that afternoon, she seemed to dwarf all of Venice. It appears to have been just a one night cruise as the ship was back in Venice when we left.

We had almost a two hour delay when we left on Saturday but the Marco Polo lounge helped pass the time.

Sprinkling of snow on our return, enough to cause chaos at Heathrow but nothing compared to Tim's adventures.

Thank you all for a wonderful cruise, it just would not have been the same without you .

What a great read - it was like being there.

I finally managed to make it home Sunday afternoon, after a night at a Manchester Airport and then a night with friends in Sheffield.

Thanks to all our roll call members who helped make this cruise so memorable; I hope we might meet again on future cruises - I have got the bug now.

Michael

To whom it may concern :)

Just to let you know, Angela, Keith, my mother and I are booked on another cruise a year from now. Fellow cruisers, come and join us!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1815033

http://www.msccruises.co.uk/uk_en/Cruise-Departures/Cruise-Details-MSC-Armonia-Rates.aspx?cruise_id=AR20140323SSHVCE&ship_code=AR

Highlights are the itinerary (Egypt, Suez Canal, Cyprus, Antalya, Rhodes, Crete, Athens, Montenegro and again ending in Venice), a smaller ship, good chance of cheap flights both ways and a cruise fare of just £250 inside (or £450 for a suite) for 10 nights. One advantage of so many ports is that the ship will be quiet most of the time when everyone else is ashore. There is no sole-occupancy supplement and all fares are on a guarantee basis so also a chance of an upgrade.

This cruise seems seriously mis-priced. The outside cabins are just the same as inside in every regard except having a window so not worth the £100 extra to me. Angela and Keith have both opted for balcony suites so we have a choice of party rooms if we don't go for Allegrissimo, which should be available at the normal price.

That is all. I hope you will join us.

Tim.

This cruise seems seriously mis-priced

Tim ... Shhhhhhhh you know they are watching .... :)

My uncle before he died lived most of his life in Huddersfield and in Meltham mills i am sure you know that area ?

This cruise seems seriously mis-priced. The outside cabins are just the same as inside in every regard except having a window so not worth the £100 extra to me. Angela and Keith have both opted for balcony suites so we have a choice of party rooms if we don't go for Allegrissimo, which should be available at the normal price.

Tim.

This cruise seems seriously mis-priced

Tim ... Shhhhhhhh you know they are watching .... :)

Quite a few cruises beginning of 2014 are on a £25 a night special. Shame these's only so many cruises you can do.

Tim, you've got me all confused now. Was pretty certain I was going to do the Caribbean crossing on the Musica next March but have always wanted to do the Suez. I've been on all the Lirica ships except the Armonia....decisions, decisions!

Tim, you've got me all confused now. Was pretty certain I was going to do the Caribbean crossing on the Musica next March but have always wanted to do the Suez. I've been on all the Lirica ships except the Armonia....decisions, decisions!

Mairi, come and join us! I think it is a stunning itinerary for a repositioning and at silly repositioning rates with zero sole-occupancy. Honestly, I think MSC have mis-priced this one. Even my mother jumped at it and she said she would never sail MSC again. So far we are a group of five solos so it is already looking jolly.

I have 'done' Suez and most of the ports and like them all. Apart from Piraeus, where the metro whisks you straight into the heart of the Plaka in minutes, these are not big shipping ports but the sort of ports only open to smaller cruise ships such as the Armonia. As for the Armonia herself, a new class to me, I like the much more manageable size, the look of the outside cafe and the English pub. It will be fun!

My decisions are how to best use Avios to get part-way to Sharm, whether to have a pre-cruise stay on the beach in the bargain all-inclusive hotels and that dreaded Allegrissimo question again....

I think it is a stunning itinerary for a repositioning and at silly repositioning rates with zero sole-occupancy. Honestly' date=' I think MSC have mis-price this one. [/quote']

If you look at the MSC website for Jan 2014 - April 2014 there are quite a few repositioning cruises with the £25 a night deal.

This looks like something MSC are trialling. Long may it continue.

papcx .... Our November Divina cruise started out on the £25 a night deal for Insides ... :)

Tim ... No idea about the snow over there, my uncle worked at David Browns down in Meltham and after when Case bought it out.

Tim....do you think they will send me Donny if I ask?

After all the graces and favours received of late, I am sure you could establish an arrangement with MSC for a mini Yacht Club experiment aboard the Armonia. I can see from the deck plan that your suite comprises cabins 1203 & 1204, the former being your private bar.

Mairi, come and join us! I think it is a stunning itinerary for a repositioning and at silly repositioning rates with zero sole-occupancy. Honestly, I think MSC have mis-priced this one. Even my mother jumped at it and she said she would never sail MSC again. So far we are a group of five solos so it is already looking jolly.

I have 'done' Suez and most of the ports and like them all. Apart from Piraeus, where the metro whisks you straight into the heart of the Plaka in minutes, these are not big shipping ports but the sort of ports only open to smaller cruise ships such as the Armonia. As for the Armonia herself, a new class to me, I like the much more manageable size, the look of the outside cafe and the English pub. It will be fun!

My decisions are how to best use Avios to get part-way to Sharm, whether to have a pre-cruise stay on the beach in the bargain all-inclusive hotels and that dreaded Allegrissimo question again....

I'll investigate flights from Edinburgh to Sharm. Think at that time of year, I'll need to change in London as most direct flights are only in the summer. Still is not that long a repo trop, so I can always fly out early Nd have a few nights pre cruise.

I'll investigate flights from Edinburgh to Sharm. Think at that time of year, I'll need to change in London as most direct flights are only in the summer. Still is not that long a repo trop, so I can always fly out early Nd have a few nights pre cruise.

How is your current cruise? I didn't mean to put all of this on you when you are meant to be enjoying your holiday. Apologies.

To Sharm, I don't fancy even the direct flights out of Manchester. Five and a half hours on Easyjet, much as I respect Easyjet compared to other no-frills airlines, does not appeal and would not be a good start.

I think BA business class with Avios to either Geneva or Milan would help start and break up the journey. Followed by Easyjet to Sharm. None of these flights are yet available for March 2014 but this is my vague policy. Those that prefer may travel direct. I need a lounge or two along the way.

The alternative is to pay for extra legroom on Easyjet, watch a couple of films on my iPad and pay Easyjet drink prices until it is over.

I sense you are wiser than me. What are your thoughts?

Tim.

Cruise has been really good. This is my third Costa cruise and the best so far in terms of the ship itself. Itinerary is a repeat of one I did previously. I was just looking for a relatively short flight to the sun which I've certainly had. Little did I know how great my timing was going to be, missing this dire cold spell. Reports from home say it's been really cold but roads are still ok, so at lleast I won't have to call out relatives to help me walk part of the way home, like you had to.

They are not quite as good for solos as MSC but you can get supplements as low as 30% which I managed this time and as they'd already reduced the overall fare considerably, ended up saving around £1500 on the official price. I'm in an aft balcony (first time in this location) and my worries about noise and vibration have been unfounded. It's a great wee sun trap and very peaceful as there is no passing traffic in the corridor.

It's our final morning onboard. I'm using up the last of my wifi package before I leave! It's a bit of a weird one disembarkation wise as folk are leaving all day long, although we have to vacate cabins by 4pm. I'm not flying home until very early Monday morning, so will probably head over to my hotel just after lunch.

Can't say I fancy easy jet for that length of time either and will definitely have Avios to burn as I'd been keeping around 30000 of them earmarked for the Santo Domingo flight. I had previously loosked at BA all the wY but that wasn't possible. Some of the other flight routes involved 3 flights. I'll stRt by looking at what airlines go there at that time of year and from where and see if I can mange with just one connecting flight. May have to do easy jet to Stanstead and then on to Sharm. At ,east it would only be one way!

Edited by AmoMondo

P.S. Just tried to make a booking now but it is detecting I'm not in the UK and is not allowing me to book via the UK site. I'll get it done on Monday when I get home. Part from Venice, every other port will be a first for me, so very happy to be going to join the growing band of CC solos on this one!

BTW did they allow a MSC Club discount on top of that price? If so I'm definitely going to book a balcony suite, which by my calculations will only be £360!

P.S. Just tried to make a booking now but it is detecting I'm not in the UK and is not allowing me to book via the UK site. I'll get it done on Monday when I get home. Part from Venice, every other port will be a first for me, so very happy to be going to join the growing band of CC solos on this one!

BTW did they allow a MSC Club discount on top of that price? If so I'm definitely going to book a balcony suite, which by my calculations will only be £360!

Joy! Yes, Club discount automatically applied. I paid £230 for an inside guarantee but two of our party have gone for balcony 'suites' so I have a choice of party venues :)

Duane, here is your chance!

There is a serious danger of having a connection with every English-speaker aboard.

P.S. There is already an active roll call here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=37762315#post37762315

Edited by Skipper Tim

Joy! Yes, Club discount automatically applied. I paid £230 for an inside guarantee but two of our party have gone for balcony 'suites' so I have a choice of party venues :)

Duane, here is your chance!

There is a serious danger of having a connection with every English-speaker aboard.

P.S. There is already an active roll call here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=37762315#post37762315

Fandabbydosy....to the discount as well (very rare that you get a Crankies quote from moi!).

I'll be over on the roll call once I'm signed up - don't want to tempt fate before I manage to get booked!

Well have to go room service has just arrived

P.S. Just tried to make a booking now but it is detecting I'm not in the UK and is not allowing me to book via the UK site.

This policy is mis-guided. The first booking I made with MSC was for three cabins on the Musica and I did it from Greece. Now, not only can you not book a future cruise onboard but you can't even book a future cruise while on the ship :) Why prevent bookings? I would not now be able to book with MSC if I happened to be out of the UK which I am often. Ludicrous. Napoli needs a serious talking to.

Edited by Skipper Tim