Zaandam vs Veendam for Antarctica

kahtrav

I just realized that the Zaandam is a larger class of ship that the Veendam. I'm wondering how that might impact Antartic cruises. I know the smaller ships have more maneuverability and that is an issue in Antarctic waters. We are booked on her for next January, but am second guessing. I read a blog of the recently completed Veendam cruise - sounds wonderful, but am wondering if a bigger ship would be able to do the same things or would need to stay out of some of the narrow passages.

The Zaandam isn't that much larger than the Veendam. She should be able to visit all the places the Veendam did this past season.

Had I known that the Zaandam was doing this itinerary next year, I would have postponed the Veendam cruise there I recently completed. The Veendam was all well and good, but that Retreat area aft on Lido Deck prevented sitting out there and enjoying the view. It is a great big mound of visual pollution blocking the sightlines. :mad:

Also, the Zaandam doesn't have that bright Mix area. It still has a more subdued Piano Lounge area at mid-ship. Much more attractive.

I suggest you stop second-guessing yourself, and look forward to a trip of a lifetime. There is nothing like Antarctica.

Having done this cruise on both the Veendam (this year) and the Rotterdam (same class as the Zaandam I think) 5 years ago there was no difference in where the ships could go in Antarctica. The captain did mention in one part of the Chilean Fjords (I think the one we saw the ship wreck on) that the Zaandam would need to get some type of variation approved since they were just bigger than the allowable length there. However that was a very minor part of the cruise and I wouldn't make the decision based on that.

Had I known that the Zaandam was doing this itinerary next year, I would have postponed the Veendam cruise there I recently completed.

:( Ruth - now surely there must be something that won't be as good on the Zaandam cruise next year as it was this years on the Veendam :D

:( Ruth - now surely there must be something that won't be as good on the Zaandam cruise next year as it was this years on the Veendam :D

Of course, seeing you again, meeting John, and sharing that wonderful evening in the Pinnacle was a highlight of this cruise. That goes without saying.

Had the Zaandam been the ship, instead of the Veendam, it would have been even better! :D

The Veendam has good forward viewing from a small deck in front of the gym (above the bridge); on the Zaandam the gym extends out into this space. As far as I recall, the Veendam also has uninterrupted forward viewing from the deck above the Crows Nest, whereas the Zaandam has tall tinted blue screens blocking this view.

Archived