Questions on visit to Ketchican,Skagway, Juneau and Victoria... Need your help!

SF

Would appreciate if someone could answer some of my questions to help us plan our upcoming trip.

1. In Skagway we want to see Liarsville Gold Rush Trail Camp, Gold Rush Cemetry, Reid Falls, The "Look-Out", Red Onion Saloon, maybe Jewell Gardens and we're wondering if it would be possible to hire a taxi and plan our own tour. We do this all the time in the Caribbean but don't know if it's possible in Skagway. Seems it would be cheaper than booking tours with the ship for a family of 4. Any suggestions?

2. In Juneau we'd like to also plan our own day by going to the Glacier, the Alaska Brewery, and the Salmon Hatchery. Are there taxi's by the pier where Princess docks? How much do you think they'd charge for a few hours?

3. In Ketchican how far is it from Creek Street to where the Lumberjack Show is?

4. In Ketchican if you had to choose between Saxman Native Village or Totem Bight State Park which would you visit? I heard that if you don't book the ship's tour for the Native Village you won't get to see the carver's shed or the dancers so instead of doing this on our own we're thinking of taking a ship's tour.

5. In Victoria has anyone visited Craighdarroch Castle? We've already been to Butchart Garden on our last trip so we wanted to do something else.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as we are trying to finalize our plans.

Would appreciate if someone could answer some of my questions to help us plan our upcoming trip.

1. In Skagway we want to see Liarsville Gold Rush Trail Camp, Gold Rush Cemetry, Reid Falls, The "Look-Out", Red Onion Saloon, maybe Jewell Gardens and we're wondering if it would be possible to hire a taxi and plan our own tour. We do this all the time in the Caribbean but don't know if it's possible in Skagway. Seems it would be cheaper than booking tours with the ship for a family of 4. Any suggestions?

2. In Juneau we'd like to also plan our own day by going to the Glacier, the Alaska Brewery, and the Salmon Hatchery. Are there taxi's by the pier where Princess docks? How much do you think they'd charge for a few hours?

3. In Ketchican how far is it from Creek Street to where the Lumberjack Show is?

4. In Ketchican if you had to choose between Saxman Native Village or Totem Bight State Park which would you visit? I heard that if you don't book the ship's tour for the Native Village you won't get to see the carver's shed or the dancers so instead of doing this on our own we're thinking of taking a ship's tour.

5. In Victoria has anyone visited Craighdarroch Castle? We've already been to Butchart Garden on our last trip so we wanted to do something else.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as we are trying to finalize our plans.

Liarsville is at mile 3 on the Klondike Highway, Jewel Garden about mile 2. Yes you can get a cab but I think a car rental would be best since then you wouldn't have any time wasted, waiting to be picked up. Look at Avis using W046000 code for a discount. The Red Onion is walkable from the ship.

In Juneau there are plenty of cabs, I would contact them directly http://www.traveljuneau.com and perhaps try and line up a package "tour". Cabs to Mendenhall are $20+++

Creek St. is only about 2 blocks from the Lumberjack show.

Correct the dancer's are only available via the ship excursion, so if of interest book Saxman Village tour.

1) I think you can pass on Jewell Gardens, especially if you've already been to Butchart. Red Onion may not be appropriate for a family of 4--are they kids?

5) I've been to Craigdarroch. I don't think it's a castle, really. More like a really big 1800's mansion. Some people dig that (my wife, for one). If you do visit Craigdarroch, I think you're close to the Japanese Gardens as well. May want to swing by while you're there.

Thanks for answering all my questions.

When you say Liarsville is at mile 3 on the Klondike Hwy. do you mean it's about 3 miles from town? Are Liarsville Gold Rush Trail Camp, Gold Rush Cemetry, and Reid Falls worth seeing or would you suggest something else?

If we don't go to the Castle in Victoria and we've seen Butchart Gardens what would you suggest we do?

Our kids aren't really "kids" (over 21) but to us they'll always be our "kids"!!! I still say kids but I should really specify when posting. I can see where the Red Onion Saloon wouldn't be appropriate for younger kids.

I'm going to try and book a taxi for Juneau, maybe I can have one waiting at the docks. As for Skagway I'll look into booking a car with that discount. Thanks.

TetleyTea - what Japanese Gardens are you referring to? The only Japanes Gardens in Victoria that I know of are in Butchart's. There are lovely gardens in Beacon Hill Park which is close to downtown, perhaps that is what you referring to.

SF, We did the Saxman Village thru Sourdough Tours recently. They had an Alaska born Ketchikan tour guide. We were supposed to go to Totem Bight also but the road was under construction and there were long delays. We saw the town, the waterfront, and Saxman, then were dropped off at Dolly's on Creek Street, the tour included a free visit to Dolly's. The charge for both parks was $45, but they reduced it to $25 since Totem Bight wasn't included. We did get to go inside the carver's shed, but that was unusual for Sourdough. There are lots of windows to look into the carver's shed if you do not get to go in. Our guide knew the meanings of all the totem poles, and we thoroughly enjoyed our tour.

My review: http://messages.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=186572

Just a few more questions:

1. How far is it from where Princess docks in Victoria to Butchart Gardens?

2. Are there taxi's right at the dock and does anyone know how much it is to

get there?

3. In Skagway, how far is it to the Avis Rental Agency? Is there a shuttle,

bus or taxi we can take to pick up the car?

4. If we have the car in Skagway what do you suggest we do first? We don't

want to drive to Emerald Lake but prefer to stay with in several miles of

town. Want to see Liarsville Gold Rush Trail Camp, Gold Rush Cemetry,

Reid Falls, and The "Look-Out". Will we be able to catch the reenactment

of the gunfight at the Gold Rush Cemetry or is that strictly for tours?

Is there parking at all these places and also in town? Can we pan for gold

at Liarsville or is also only if booked for a tour?

So many decisions and questions, can't wait until all our plans are finalized so I can relax....oh wait.....then comes the packing!!!!! ;)

Our ship docks in Victoria so no ferry is needed. Just need to know how far driving time it is from port. You may be thinking of Vancover as a ferry is needed there to get to Butchart Gardens as that's how we went last time.

BQ...I went into Avis and used the rate code you provided. It saved us almost $20 AND bumped us up 1 category!! (YOU ARE AWESOME!!!)

Do you know what type of rate code this is? Does it require us to present any type of documentation at check in?

Thanks for your help!!

Deb

Just a few more questions:

1. How far is it from where Princess docks in Victoria to Butchart Gardens?

2. Are there taxi's right at the dock and does anyone know how much it is to

get there?

3. In Skagway, how far is it to the Avis Rental Agency? Is there a shuttle,

bus or taxi we can take to pick up the car?

4. If we have the car in Skagway what do you suggest we do first? We don't

want to drive to Emerald Lake but prefer to stay with in several miles of

town. Want to see Liarsville Gold Rush Trail Camp, Gold Rush Cemetry,

Reid Falls, and The "Look-Out". Will we be able to catch the reenactment

of the gunfight at the Gold Rush Cemetry or is that strictly for tours?

Is there parking at all these places and also in town? Can we pan for gold

at Liarsville or is also only if booked for a tour?

So many decisions and questions, can't wait until all our plans are finalized so I can relax....oh wait.....then comes the packing!!!!! ;)

Butchart gardens is 14 miles from Victoria but allow at least 30 mins. to get there. You can walk to the Avis office on 3rd. in Skagway. Yes there is plenty of parking and every thing you have listed is with in 3 miles of Skagway. At the very least, I would suggest you consider at least seeing the White Pass Summit about 23 miles from Skagway. You can go independent and enjoy the activities at Liarsville.

BQ...I went into Avis and used the rate code you provided. It saved us almost $20 AND bumped us up 1 category!! (YOU ARE AWESOME!!!)

Do you know what type of rate code this is? Does it require us to present any type of documentation at check in?

Thanks for your help!!

Deb

this information is the wisdom of another poster. :)

register at http://www.avisalaska.com

Budget Queen:

First, thanks for all your help (and likewise to all the other posters), these boards are great and make planning your trip so much more fun.

We took your suggestion and rented a car at Avis. We're planning on seeing the sights we mentioned and also taking a drive to the White Pass Summit. If time allows we'll continue on. I have some more questions if you don't mind.

1. Should we go to White Pass Summit first and then do the Look Out, Liarsville, Reid Falls, and the Cemetry on the way back or should we do those first? Where is the "Lookout" everyone mentions?

2. I heard one part of the Highway going to Dyea on your way to the Summit is high and has no railing, is this true? How safe is the road as I don't want to freak out while driving there?

3. Do you think we should do Butchart again on our own (cost for cab plus entrance US fee of around 72.00 for the 4 of us) when we dock at 5PM so we probably won't get there until atleast 6PM with everyone wanting to disembark or should we take the 3 and a half hour tour with Princess for $55.00 (total $220.00) The cost is more than double but we are wondering if it's worth it to get off the ship immediately? I figure if we get there even by 6PM I heard it's open until 9PM so that should give us plenty of time and I don't think a cab there and back will run the total up to the $220.00 tour. Any opinions/suggestions?

4. Do they stage the reenactment gunfight at the cemetry thru out the day or is that for tours only? (I know I asked this prior, sorry for repeat but I didn't see any response unless I missed it).

Once again THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH for your help in answering all my questions. It seems one questions just brings on another but we are getting so excited now as we haven't been to Alaska in 10 years and can't wait to see it again.

Skip the Red Onion because it is just a small bar and I didn't think it was worth my time. I should have done something else.

You can take a $5 bus (each way) to Mendehnahll Glacier and do it on your own. No need to do it with a tour. You can pay for the bus and catch it right next to the Mt. Roberts Tramway.

wow, I just made NEW reservation at Skagway Avis and it did save me $20! Cancelled my old reservation- hope I don't need some kind of coupon- I went to the website mentioned above and registered- anyway, if it works- thanks! Old rate was $69- new rate $49- with taxes, a savings of $23!

Budget Queen:

First, thanks for all your help (and likewise to all the other posters), these boards are great and make planning your trip so much more fun.

We took your suggestion and rented a car at Avis. We're planning on seeing the sights we mentioned and also taking a drive to the White Pass Summit. If time allows we'll continue on. I have some more questions if you don't mind.

1. Should we go to White Pass Summit first and then do the Look Out, Liarsville, Reid Falls, and the Cemetry on the way back or should we do those first? Where is the "Lookout" everyone mentions?

2. I heard one part of the Highway going to Dyea on your way to the Summit is high and has no railing, is this true? How safe is the road as I don't want to freak out while driving there?

3. Do you think we should do Butchart again on our own (cost for cab plus entrance US fee of around 72.00 for the 4 of us) when we dock at 5PM so we probably won't get there until atleast 6PM with everyone wanting to disembark or should we take the 3 and a half hour tour with Princess for $55.00 (total $220.00) The cost is more than double but we are wondering if it's worth it to get off the ship immediately? I figure if we get there even by 6PM I heard it's open until 9PM so that should give us plenty of time and I don't think a cab there and back will run the total up to the $220.00 tour. Any opinions/suggestions?

4. Do they stage the reenactment gunfight at the cemetry thru out the day or is that for tours only? (I know I asked this prior, sorry for repeat but I didn't see any response unless I missed it).

Once again THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH for your help in answering all my questions. It seems one questions just brings on another but we are getting so excited now as we haven't been to Alaska in 10 years and can't wait to see it again.

I would do your priority touring first- Liarsville, Gold Rush Cemetery etc, then head north and go as far as you wish. The road to Dyea is dirt, and correct, not many guard rails. But you are going 30 at the fastest. :) I'll assume the "lookout" you are referring to is at the begining of the Dyea Road, you have views of the town and ships. But it is a busy congested small parking area. As for Victoria, I would prearrange the cab for direct pick up at the ship and return. This is a dock port, so no priority for ship excursions disembarking.

I have never heard of any re enacted gun fight in Skagway and the cemetery wasn't the location, the downtown docks was for the orginal.

Budget Queen:

Based on your opinions we're going to do Victoria on our own. Since we dock (like you mentioned) I figure it won't be too bad and we don't leave until midnight. Do you know how much a taxi would be to Butchart? Is there a number I can call and pre-book like you suggested?

Do you have to pass Dyea to go to Emerald Lake? If so, how many miles is the area with no guard rails and dirt roads that you're traveling 30 mph? Sorry to be a pest but I remember driving on a road like that out west and it freaked me out and I didn't really get to enjoy the ride. Just want to be prepared.

We already booked our car at Avis in Skagway with the discount you mentioned so we're set for that port. Was kind of surprised they had a full size left so close to our trip (but glad they did :) ). Guess more people are taking the train that day. Thanks for the code it helped save us some money.

Just wanted to ask your opinion on the tour Princess gives in Juneau.... the Mendenhall Glacier and Whale Quest. Is it worth the price? I priced it separately and to do it on our own would cost almost the same. How far is it to Auke Bay from town?

Thanks to your help and others on the boards our tours are all set.

Ketchikan: Saxman Village, City Tour and Lumberjack Show

Juneau: Mendenhall Glacier and Whale Quest

Skagway: Rent car drive to Emerald Lake, walk/shop in town

Victoria: Butchart Gardens and the night we're there they have fireworks :)

Just hope the weather co-operates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RE: #4---We did the full Town and Totem tour on 5/30 with Sourdough---it was $45pp---Excellent! We had a Ketchikan born and reared guide who was super--his name was Ron. We went to Totem Bight first and it was really interesting and the trails in were lush and lovely. Some of the totem poles are near the shore. Then we drove back through town and went to Saxman---We looked at the totem poles and the carver shed [through the windows] and Ron introduced us to a carver there. He then took us and dropped us off at Creek Street, where we went to Dolly's house [tickets included with tour] and did a little shopping. All in all, well worth the money.

One warning---the shop at Totem Bight is good, but prices for some things were well above what I later saw in town.

Our cruise was northbound and as we sailed out of Ketchikan, we could see Totem Bight some distance away on the starboard side from our balcony, so we could photograph it from a totally different perspective.

This is my dads posting, I am his son. I work at Craigdarroch Castle, it is definetly a must see in Victoria. Its a 1890's mansion that has been restored to its original state. We see over 100,000 visitors a year many of whom are from cruise ships. If you are interested in museums and antiques you must check it out and the history is very interesting as well. Just a word of advice there are alot of stairs so you have to be good on your feet to see all four stories and the tower. If you want to visit Butcharts it is about a 45min drive from downtown and a taxi would be very expensive. If you are here for a short stay you may want to stick with the downtown attractions or take the cruise ship package to the gardens.

Budget Queen:

Based on your opinions we're going to do Victoria on our own. Since we dock (like you mentioned) I figure it won't be too bad and we don't leave until midnight. Do you know how much a taxi would be to Butchart? Is there a number I can call and pre-book like you suggested?

Do you have to pass Dyea to go to Emerald Lake? If so, how many miles is the area with no guard rails and dirt roads that you're traveling 30 mph? Sorry to be a pest but I remember driving on a road like that out west and it freaked me out and I didn't really get to enjoy the ride. Just want to be prepared.

We already booked our car at Avis in Skagway with the discount you mentioned so we're set for that port. Was kind of surprised they had a full size left so close to our trip (but glad they did :) ). Guess more people are taking the train that day. Thanks for the code it helped save us some money.

Just wanted to ask your opinion on the tour Princess gives in Juneau.... the Mendenhall Glacier and Whale Quest. Is it worth the price? I priced it separately and to do it on our own would cost almost the same. How far is it to Auke Bay from town?

Thanks to your help and others on the boards our tours are all set.

Ketchikan: Saxman Village, City Tour and Lumberjack Show

Juneau: Mendenhall Glacier and Whale Quest

Skagway: Rent car drive to Emerald Lake, walk/shop in town

Victoria: Butchart Gardens and the night we're there they have fireworks :)

Just hope the weather co-operates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dyea is a dead end road off the Klondike Highway, 9+++ miles. Your priority for the whale watch will be the size boat you want??? Allen Marine goes with about 100++ passengers. Both will give you a great tour. The Mendenhall portion is less than an hour, but if you want longer, just take a $5 shuttle back. Auke Bay is about 12+ miles from downtown.

Thanks again for answering questions.

Your idea about taking the bus back is a good one but I think we do the glacier first, at least that's what the booklet says. Maybe I can call Princess or someone who's taken that trip recently can post in what order the tour is done.

I highly recommend renting a car in Juneau. We rented a car from Rent-A-Wreck for about $40 for a compact which enabled us to go all over Juneau and take in the various sights as well as allowed us stop for spur of the moment sites. We went to the Mendenhall Glacier, drove to the airport to take a flightseeing tour, shopped at Costco, and went to the Shrine of St. Terese, 26 miles outside of town. Juneau is easy to navigate with just one main drag from one end of town to the other. Book Rent-A-Wreck online. Let Konnie know Hellen sent you, she will take care of you. :)

Archived