corkage fee

mrdrdoso

i'm considering bringing my own wine on the gem, i know there is a $15 corkage fee per bottle, how does this work? i am going to put in in my carry on, can i bring my own corkscrew, don't wanna get in trouble for bringing a weapon on board, i am fussy about my wine and prefer to drink what i like, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

take it on your carry-on. After xray, security will direct you to a table where the fee will be charged to your account. You can take a corkscrew on the ship or ask your room steward for one.

take it on your carry-on. After xray, security will direct you to a table where the fee will be charged to your account. You can take a corkscrew on the ship or ask your room steward for one.

True...!!! I assume you are sailing out of NYC...easy...(thougjh a few times..I arrived early..and there was no table set up yet;))

I'm with you about my wine. Being this is my 1st upcoming cruise with NCL I asked my cruise consultant if I bring my own corkscrew to one my own bottle of wine will I be charged the $15 and he said a resounding "yes!!" :eek:I'm shocked!! I hope this isn't true but if it is......heads up.:mad:

I'm with you about my wine. Being this is my 1st upcoming cruise with NCL I asked my cruise consultant if I bring my own corkscrew to one my own bottle of wine will I be charged the $15 and he said a resounding "yes!!" :eek:I'm shocked!! I hope this isn't true but if it is......heads up.:mad:

The "corkage fee" is not really a charge to remove a cork. It is a fee to make up for lost revenue from you not purchasing wine from NCL.

Even with counting the corkage fee - most wines are still much cheaper than buying off the ships wine list and you get to drink what you know you like.

So is it quite the norm to see people wandering around the ship with a bottle or two under their arm ? What about glasses, say you wanted to have a glass of your own wine beside the pool (assuming you can get a bed / seat :rolleyes:) Do you just go to the bar and ask for a glass ?

Never played this 'bring your own' before, but it looks increasingly likely this time.

Fig

So is it quite the norm to see people wandering around the ship with a bottle or two under their arm ? What about glasses, say you wanted to have a glass of your own wine beside the pool (assuming you can get a bed / seat :rolleyes:) Do you just go to the bar and ask for a glass ?

Never played this 'bring your own' before, but it looks increasingly likely this time.

Fig

That is correct - any bar will provide empty wine glasses, also, I believe your room steward can provide them as well.

Not sure that I'd be "wandering around the ship with a bottle or two under their arm", others might, but I would certainly carry a bottle to dinner.

thanks everyone, i looked over the wine list and the ones i would like are way more than i want to spend, not to sound tacky but can i take it to the dining room to have with my dinner

Absolutely! And if you don't finish your bottle and want to save it for the next night, the waitstaff will label it and store it, giving you a receipt to show at any of the dining venues, where it will be brought out to you!

Absolutely! And if you don't finish your bottle and want to save it for the next night, the waitstaff will label it and store it, giving you a receipt to show at any of the dining venues, where it will be brought out to you!

:confused::confused:Can you please explain this "don't finish your bottle" thing??:confused::confused:

:confused::confused:Can you please explain this "don't finish your bottle" thing??:confused::confused:

Well, personally, if we open a bottle of wine it's always empty when we're done. However there are those that prefer to have just a glass to enjoy with their meal.

You can ask your server to re-cork the bottle and they will store it for you till you need it again. It's already tagged with the sticker, so your info is already there the next time you want it or if you wish you may also take it back to your cabin.

cheers...the Ump...:D

Well, personally, if we open a bottle of wine it's always empty when we're done. However there are those that prefer to have just a glass to enjoy with their meal.

You can ask your server to re-cork the bottle and they will store it for you till you need it again. It's already tagged with the sticker, so your info is already there the next time you want it or if you wish you may also take it back to your cabin.

cheers...the Ump...:D

It was the leftover part I didn't get.:D

I always bring 6 or 7 bottles for a 7 night cruise,

I find online the wines I want to drink for my cruise, then I pick them up at the liquor store I found them, and pay my corkage fee after security at the pier.

Always found the 15$ well worth it :)

Especially if you love champagne, you can get great deals in Manhattan and the prices are way high on the ship.

I always bring 6 or 7 bottles for a 7 night cruise,

I find online the wines I want to drink for my cruise, then I pick them up at the liquor store I found them, and pay my corkage fee after security at the pier.

Always found the 15$ well worth it :)

Especially if you love champagne, you can get great deals in Manhattan and the prices are way high on the ship.

A question

What are your wine recommendations now? Going on the GEM on 3/13/2013 for 9 days. Could use the advice.

A tip-Warehouse Liquors on 8th Street and Broadway in Manhattan have the cheapest prices for wine and liquor.

Thank you.

Archived