With the Quantum calling in Sam Juan

HAHAHAHAHAHHA OMG HOW PERFECT. this is live right now. And guess wait. Delayed.

http://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/flyfaaindex.jsp?ARPT=ewr&p=0

That's correct it's raining out, and 0 cruise ships are sailing from the NYC area.

Look , RCCl will place whatever and wherever they feel comfortable to obtain the greatest shareholder value regardless of our opinion.

Oasis, Allure and Freedom all go out of Florida year round.

RC needs a ship in NJ/NY to compete with the NCL Breakaway.

They also need one in Los Angeles to compete against Carnival. I'm not holding breath.

Not to poke the badger with a spoon, but how many times has NY been shut down due to hurricanes?

Sandy shut it down last year. As stated a hurrican shuts things down for one day as it passes. Snow storms cause far larger delays across the board.

"Due to WEATHER / WIND, there is a Traffic Management Program in effect for traffic arriving Newark International Airport, Newark, NJ (EWR). This is causing some arriving flights to be delayed an average of 1 hour and 55 minutes. To see if you may be affected, select your departure airport and check "Delays by Destination"."

Ya NJ never gets weather problems. Lmao.

Seriously, I really do admire your passion in wanting the Quantum based in Florida. :D

You can have the Anthem, if you want, because those of us in the northeast are just as passionate about getting the Quantum here. :D

In the reality check (for all of us) department, all the posts in the world will not get Royal Caribbean to change what it has planned for this ship class and the placement that makes the most financial sense to them. Just relax and enjoy the anticipation. That's half the fun.

Eric

That's correct it's raining out, and 0 cruise ships are sailing from the NYC area.

Look , RCCl will place whatever and wherever they feel comfortable to obtain the greatest shareholder value regardless of our opinion.

That's exactly been my point the whole time. FL is their largest market fact. It's their highest source of profits out of all ports they leave from. Sure it helps that Florida has 4 ports Rccl sails out of, but that driven by money.

Seriously, I really do admire your passion in wanting the Quantum based in Florida. :D

You can have the Anthem, if you want, because those of us in the northeast are just as passionate about getting the Quantum here. :D

In the reality check (for all of us) department, all the posts in the world will not get Royal Caribbean to change what it has planned for this ship class and the placement that makes the most financial sense to them. Just relax and enjoy the anticipation. That's half the fun.

Eric

It has nothing to do with passion. I could care less if they put it in Florida. I'll sail it either way. In all honesty I live in south Florida and I personally feel they will put it in PC to compete with Disney More. I'm not campaigning for ft lauderdale. That would be my port

It has nothing to do with passion. I could care less if they put it in Florida. I'll sail it either way. In all honesty I live in south Florida and I personally feel they will put it in PC to compete with Disney More. I'm not campaigning for ft lauderdale. That would be my port

OK, let's call it "enthusiasm" then. :) Either way, it's all good!

Let the discussions continue!!! :cool:

Eric

:)

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2013/02/new_jersey_prepares_for_blizza.html

Pretty sure that says FEB 8 2013. Can't argue with facts.

Hi I live 20 min away from cape liberty and the years I had been taking cruise from cape liberty with big snow storms never the cruise was delay or cancel in 2009 with the big snow storm we had explorer was sailing full,and yes they bringing the new ship here to Bayonne it's been confirm with few captains and on my last cruise was confirm is coming to cape liberty,and a other thing people love to drive up to cape liberty from other states so they won't have to fly,explorer of the seas always sails full,next moth they will announce where she gonna sail out from,can't wait so I could say i told you so

I believe she may sail from Bayonne for a period of time, perhaps the first winter, possibly even her first year. But she won't stay unless they upgrade the facilities in Bayonne. And, as UNV-IT said, they don't build a ship around a port.

Not to poke the badger with a spoon, but how many times has NY been shut down due to hurricanes?

By no means to I agree with UNV-IT that threats of severe weather would prevent RCI from putting Quantum in NJ. In fact, I think it is pretty clear that's where she's headed.

About the hurricane thing, though, any one ship leaving from the NYC area probably has a greater chance of having her itinerary severely changed by a hurricane than any one ship leaving form any 1 Florida port.

A hurricane comes within 50 miles of a South Florida port every 7 years on average and within 50 miles of NYC every 18 years on average. However, the long haul of the route from NJ to the Caribbean is much more likely to encounter an unavoidable hurricane.

Here is a map of all hurricanes in the last 160+ years:

1851_2010_hurr_sm.jpg

As you can see, a significant number of hurricanes go right up the Atlantic coast. That's why that area is basically a solid color. When a ship is leaving from NJ and has to travel all the way South with nowhere else to go, it is more likely to have to dodge the hurricanes coming up the coast.

Hurricanes coming towards South Florida typically follow a predictable pattern. Hurricanes coming North of the islands tend to turn and head up the Atlantic coast. Hurricanes going South of the islands either tend to keep West into Mexico or turn through the Western tip of Cuba into the Gulf of Mexico. No matter which track they take, it is pretty easy just to go the opposite way. The cruise ships are typically able to easily divert East or West to avoid the projected paths since there are so many ports of call spread out fairly close to South Florida.

As we speak they or upgrading the port here by next year she should be ready for the new arrive

I was thinking that it's too bad they can't use the terminal at Red Hook in Brooklyn where Princess used to sail out of. It's a very nice facility and equally convenient as Bayonne. None of Carnival Corps ships use that terminal anymore, and it's a shame that it's standing there vacant and underutilized.

Oasis, Allure and Freedom all go out of Florida year round.

RC needs a ship in NJ/NY to compete with the NCL Breakaway.

Is the Oasis class able to dock in Bayonne? Maybe they could have the Oasis and the Allure could stay in Florida:D

I was thinking that it's too bad they can't use the terminal at Red Hook in Brooklyn where Princess used to sail out of. It's a very nice facility and equally convenient as Bayonne. None of Carnival Corps ships use that terminal anymore, and it's a shame that it's standing there vacant and underutilized.

It's actually a nicer terminal than Cape Liberty but unfortunately it's smaller. We sailed out of there on the QM2 and CB.

I agree I like red hook it more convenient and nicer,it will be nice if Rccl put a ship there.

Do not understand -- Explorer is now listed for NE/Canada -- through October 2014? Vicki

She's doing a 9night voyage to Canada/New England in September 2014. She's also doing a series of 5 nt / 9nt Bermuda/Carribean sailings, During September, October 2014.

Do not understand -- Explorer is now listed for NE/Canada -- through October 2014? Vicki

What's not to understand? Explorer has been doing fall cruises to New England and Canada out of Bayonne. She will be doing them in the fall of 2013 and 2014. Quantum isn't scheduled to be completed until October 2014. By the time she goes through sea trials and makes her way over from Europe, it will probably be late November before she's ready to start taking on passengers.

We usually cruise from Baltimore of Florida--0so, I do not have a stake in this. However, we cruise on the Explorer out of NJ last fall.

One thing that struck me was the free spending [reading drink buying] of the pax on the ship. From the time they set foot on the ship, the drinks were flowing. One pax told me that drinks were actually less onboard than in the restuarants in NYC. So, if RC wants to maximize profits it seems the NYC area is the place to go.

The San Juan port calls would be on the eastern Caribbean itinerary. Explorer does those now.

Bermuda is working on a new pier for the Breakaway. Quantam could use that for Bermuda itineraries.

This is absolutely do. Drinks in board are a bargain for us and Chops is the deal of a lifetime!

Archived