Second best place for black bears?

fireflymd

We are unable to book a flight to Anan Wildlife Observatory for the day we will be in Ketchikan; there are 2 excursions offered by Princess: one to Neets Bay, and the other says it goes to Traitor's Cove or Polk Inlet, depending upon viewing conditions.

Any preference for either excursion?

It depends upon what time of year you're going, as certain places have different peak seasons for salmon, and therefore for bears, who go where the salmon are!

I'm going to Traitors Cove at the end of August as that was recommended to me as being my best chance for that time of year, but other places are better in July and early August I believe.

If it's the end of July, It's Neets Bay. I don't consider Traitor's much before mid August for peak, but they run tours earlier.

Anan is far superior compared to Neets.

This poster wanted a guided option, but the facts are in the replies.

With them being concerned about random bears- they may want to think carefully about any bear tour.

Thanks, folks! Yes, it's the end of July.

For Anan, I found there are only two companies (Island Wings and Taquan) that provide a guide to join you (or a "guide with a gun" as one reviewer on Trip Advisor so eloquently put it). For our date in Ketchikan both of them are unable to take us.

The other two companies that I know of, Family Air and Southeast Aviation drop you off at the beginning of the trail; then you're on your own for the 20 or so minute walk (whistling, singing, using a bell) because you "share the path with bears" from another review) until you reach the observatory, where there is a park ranger.

I don't know if there are other companies as well.

For Anan, I found there are only two companies (Island Wings and Taquan) that provide a guide to join you (or a "guide with a gun" as one reviewer on Trip Advisor so eloquently put it). For our date in Ketchikan both of them are unable to take us.

The other two companies that I know of, Family Air and Southeast Aviation drop you off at the beginning of the trail; then you're on your own for the 20 or so minute walk (whistling, singing, using a bell) because you "share the path with bears" from another review) until you reach the observatory, where there is a park ranger.

Since you have eliminated Anan- then look at Pack Creek or Neets.

What is the problem with hiking the trail at Anan without a guide? Thousands of people have done it and none were attacked or eaten alive.

This poster has their own ideas, and hasn't been there.

Check with Carlin Air. We're booked with them to Anan for July 11.

What is the problem with hiking the trail at Anan without a guide? Thousands of people have done it and none were attacked or eaten alive.

So, of course, that means it will never happen.:rolleyes:

This poster has their own ideas, and hasn't been there.

I forgive your rudeness.;)

Check with Carlin Air. We're booked with them to Anan for July 11.

Thanks, TravlGrl, I'll check them out.

I told DH that someone posted that no one has ever been killed or attacked by a bear on the way to Anan, and in his humorous way he said,

"Well, I don't want to be the first!":D

Thanks, TravlGrl, I'll check them out.

I told DH that someone posted that no one has ever been killed or attacked by a bear on the way to Anan, and in his humorous way he said,

"Well, I don't want to be the first!":D

I've been up and down that trail at least a dozen times at the height of bear season. Never once did I feel so afraid I wouldn't do it again. If you wanna live your life in fear I guess that's your choice.

I've been up and down that trail at least a dozen times at the height of bear season. Never once did I feel so afraid I wouldn't do it again. If you wanna live your life in fear I guess that's your choice.

How ridiculous of you to assume "I live my life in fear." Really!

If there is one person on this board whose advice I would trust on this subject, it is bearbait! :D

I really don't understand why people are reacting so harshly to the OP. I really don't get it. :confused: Maybe there's more to the story than what I'm reading on this thread, but regardless...I just don't understand it.

I really don't understand why people are reacting so harshly to the OP. I really don't get it. :confused: Maybe there's more to the story than what I'm reading on this thread, but regardless...I just don't understand it.

I don't get it either, but I have found that there are some people on this forum who, when they feel very strongly about something, if you feel differently they actually become offensive about it.

I understand it's very easy for people to be rude when they are anonymous. I have read some pretty horrendous things said to another person on the Princess forum. It's also easy to mistake the tone in which something is written. But sometimes, it's obvious the person is just being rude.

I really appreciate your response. You renewed my faith that there are good people on this board, and I really do just need to ignore the rude ones.

There are some REALLY RUDE people on CC. Be careful if you ever post a review of a sailing, because the cheerleaders will lambaste you for anything less than a stellar comment!

I was attacked a couple of years ago for my less than great review of Oasis, and was completely beat up by two people. The mods ended up removing the thread. I couldn't believe that my experience was taken so personally by people who weren't there, who don't walk in my shoes, who aren't me and who don't know me. It was as if I just kicked their baby or something.

Regardless, there ARE friendly people here who want to help. There are others who get defensive when they help, and yet others who are rude when they don't like how you/one responds. I just don't understand it, but this thread doesn't come close to some of the meanness I've seen on this board. It's far worse than any other travel forum I've ever been part of. (There was even a near brawl on one of my roll calls a few weeks ago, and yet, these people were planning to meet on-board. I doubt that will happen! ;))

I don't get it either, but I have found that there are some people on this forum who, when they feel very strongly about something, if you feel differently they actually become offensive about it.

I understand it's very easy for people to be rude when they are anonymous. I have read some pretty horrendous things said to another person on the Princess forum. It's also easy to mistake the tone in which something is written. But sometimes, it's obvious the person is just being rude.

I really appreciate your response. You renewed my faith that there are good people on this board, and I really do just need to ignore the rude ones.

You have posted over and over for information on bear tours- you are being given accurate information, which I have tried to explain since, you clearly did not know the details of what you booked or what is available.

Consider me rude,but the expert posts gave you information you needed, that most posters are not familiar with.

You have posted over and over for information on bear tours- you are being given accurate information, which I have tried to explain since, you clearly did not know the details of what you booked or what is available.

Consider me rude,but the expert posts gave you information you needed, that most posters are not familiar with.

It is bizarre that you find the need to become offensive because I am asking questions that you feel you have already answered.

I've just booked a Anan visit for 4Jily with Family air this week. As mentioned, it's an unguided walk to the platform.

I did ask the company about the dangers of walking alone.

I have to say.... Their reply did put a smile on my face...... "I've been doing this trip for 20yrs and no tourist has been eating by a bear yet!"

So I guess the odds are.... I won't be eaten..... Well! Lets hope not anyway!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived