Getting to Delos from Mykonos?

Califonria cruiser

We are spending 7-6 in Mykonos and we would really like to see Delos. Do the ferries run regularly or are they used by the cruise ship and therefore all full.

Has anyone done this?

When you get to Delos ferry port, where are the ruins? Can you buy water there?

Jenn

My parents were going to do this last year when we were in Mykonos but it was windy & the seas were quite rough & they were worried they might not get back! We did a jeep drive around Mykonos & our guide said they will always bring people back whatever the weather as you are not allowed to overnight on the Island. I seem to remember there were 2 ferries a day over & back.

We are spending 7-6 in Mykonos and we would really like to see Delos. Do the ferries run regularly or are they used by the cruise ship and therefore all full.

Has anyone done this?

When you get to Delos ferry port, where are the ruins? Can you buy water there?

Jenn

Hi, Jenn,

DH and I did this last fall, and had a great day. The ferry leaves from the pier within Mykonos Town (where the tenders bring passengers ashore). The island is not inhabited, just ruins, which are fairly extensive and accessible just beyond where the ferry docks. The view of the ruins as you arrive on the island is amazing.

The ferry tickets are sold at the kiosk right behind the little church with the blue dome near the pier. The ferries run Tues-Sun at 9, 10, 11 am, and return 12:15, 1:30 and 3:00 pm. The site is closed on Mondays. Last fall, the cost was 15 € RT pp. (The ferries are not used by ship excursions.) It takes about half an hour one way. Be careful about waiting to return on the last ferry because it may be very crowded.

Admission to the site is 5€, and a private guide is optional and extra (they are waiting at the admission area, if you want to hire one.) If you do not have a guide, it does help to have a little background reading beforehand, and there is a map guide given with admission. There is a small but worthwhile museum (included in admission) and a simple cafe and public restrooms. Yes, you could buy water there, or buy it on the ferry, as well as light snacks and cold beer. There is very little shade anywhere, by the way. A hat and sunscreen come in handy.

Edited by Chloe1500

The last poster has said it all . Delos is quite easy to get to yourself via the local ferry service . just be sure to check the return ferry times and allow sufficient time to be back in Myknos to make the tender back to your cruise ship in time . Cruise ships do not wait for missing pax, and a night alone on delos could be quite cold .

Thank you for the info, Delos is high on our list and it sounds incredible! Any chance you can swim there at all? My kiddos would be thrilled to have a dip or even wade around if it is shallow enough even if rocky.We are going in June so it should be fairly hot and it would be nice to cool off.

Jenn

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
Pictures here: http://chiumemories.blogspot.com/2012/08/mykonos.html

My brother took his family to the beach when we were in Mykonos and they had a great time. I believe they took a taxi there.

Loved your pictures and blog! I am planning to go to Delos in October and can't wait! Did you find that you had enough time after your return to see most of the sites in Mykonos Town? It looks like you did.

Loved your pictures and blog! I am planning to go to Delos in October and can't wait! Did you find that you had enough time after your return to see most of the sites in Mykonos Town? It looks like you did.

Thank you for the kind comment. Yes, we had enough time to see what we wanted in Mykonos. Actually, before we went back on the ship, we just sat and people-watch for while next to that little building near the tender stop.

We took the morning ship tour to Delos. Got back in plenty of time to have a early afternoon lunch in Mykonos and do some shopping.

I recommend hiring a tour guide. The site is amazing. It was trading place with merchants even from Egypt and have a shrine for Isis there. There is also a museum with lot of artifacts.

Yes ,the ferry is big and you can get snacks and beverages.