great London to Dover transport experience

Just back from Baltic cruise and want to report what a great find (through a Cruise Critic poster's tip) Alan Simpson of Airport Independent Cars was. He charged less than half of what the London based companies were charging (he's based near Dover) and gave us terrific money saving tips as well as entertaining commentary all the way. Plus he was very reliable and flexible when we arrived back on the dock earlier than expected. He only has one car big enough for 5 people plus cruise luggage, though, and we had to use two cars on the return which I hadn't booked in advance (the large car was already taken). I don't have Alan's phone number handy but can find it if anyone needs it. Can't recommend him highly enough.

Babylene, Alan only charged 80 pounds versus 180 which was the lowest other fare we found. His phone numbers are :01843-841404 and mobile no. 07932446845. Those are the numbers as dialed in the UK. You need the country code (44) to access them from the states. I don't recall if you omit the first "0" from the numbers if you dial from the U.S.On the return from Dover when we had an additional family member who had joined us and thus needed 2 cars it was 75 pounds per car (smaller car).

What is the approximate distance from Dover port to Heathrow? is heathrow the airport the cruise lines use?
By road, it's about 105 miles from Heathrow to Dover.

There are also many flights from the US that go to Gatwick, which is a little closer by road - about 80 miles.

Personally, I wouldn't use the distance between airport and port as a factor in deciding which airport to use - there are other factors that are much more important. Cruise lines will of course use the factor that's most important to them: Price.

Archived