Oceania Update needed...

NYLady

We have sailed Oceania twice before, about three years ago. Today we booked our third trip but things have changed! I need some help understanding (and remembering) how things are on Oceania.

1. New ship! Marina is the ship we will be on...looks interesting and different. I've been reading reviews and I think we will like it. Any particular hints?

2. Excursions seem complicated now. I see I could book an "Unlimited Passport Collection Package" which would give me the "feel" of the included excursions of Regent. I would be willing to do it but when I checked my Itinerary which includes lots of sea days (Tahiti to Lima) it didn't make sense. Is the fee offered $899/pp just for this sailing? Is the inclusive price higher for sailings that have more offerings? The excursions are so expensive! Nearly $200 to go to a beach for a couple of hours? Really?

3. There seem to be lots of dining choices on Marina. I see the advertising for La Reserve and the menus and pricing but can't quite envision how it works. Is it similar each evening to a "Chef's Table" we have experienced on other cruise lines? or more like a small restaurant?

4. For specialty restaurants other than La Reserve is there a charge? or just a reservation needed?

Thank you all in advance for any information you care to provide.

La Reserve - We had the 7 course and it was decadent. Great food and wine.

Yes - Lots of FABULOUS restaurants.

Yes, I took the unlimited excursion package for each of us, and it was slightly more, I THINK. Anyway, I didn't have to "think".

3. There seem to be lots of dining choices on Marina. I see the advertising for La Reserve and the menus and pricing but can't quite envision how it works. Is it similar each evening to a "Chef's Table" we have experienced on other cruise lines? or more like a small restaurant?

193534.jpg

La Reserve is a smallish restaurant which serves multi-course meals with wine pairings. The wines are discussed as the meal progresses, so there is generally only 1 seating of 20 to 30 persons per evening.

For specialty restaurants other than La Reserve is there a charge? or just a reservation needed?

No charge for any of the Specialty Restaurants, unless you want to book Privée, which is a private party room serving food from Polo or Tuscana. The fee is $250 per night, for up to ten guests. Phenomenal "back of the ship" views, too-

232215.jpg142801.jpg

We have sailed Oceania twice before, about three years ago. Today we booked our third trip but things have changed! I need some help understanding (and remembering) how things are on Oceania.

1. New ship! Marina is the ship we will be on...looks interesting and different. I've been reading reviews and I think we will like it. Any particular hints?

Others have answered before me so I'll try to keep it brief. The difference is that Marina/Riviera are about twice the size of the "R" ships so there IS a difference. Cabins are generally larger on the new ships, there are more restaurant choices, and the buffet restaurant is now beyond fabulous.

2. Excursions seem complicated now. I see I could book an "Unlimited Passport Collection Package" which would give me the "feel" of the included excursions of Regent. I would be willing to do it but when I checked my Itinerary which includes lots of sea days (Tahiti to Lima) it didn't make sense. Is the fee offered $899/pp just for this sailing? Is the inclusive price higher for sailings that have more offerings? The excursions are so expensive! Nearly $200 to go to a beach for a couple of hours? Really?

Many people find others here on CC and book private tours. If you want the "safety" of ship's tours then you should stick with them. But you will spend less money and tour with fewer people if you do your own.

On a cruise with lots of sea days I'm sure the tour package price is lower than on a port intensive cruise. We will book some ship's tours on a cruise but tend to do more private tours. We're doing Barcelona to Rio in November and have already booked private tours in most of the ports (some I arranged, some others arranged). There are a couple of ports where we have nothing planned.

On your itinerary it could be easier to use ship's tours but you should also go to your roll call and see if others are working on private tours. They are generally cheaper and with smaller groups of people.

Jim&Stan answered this question, think. There are 3 different menus/wine pairings, I believe. We did one of these dinners on Marina in Oct 2011 and recommend it, but if you aren't wine drinkers than it probably would not be to your liking.

4. For specialty restaurants other than La Reserve is there a charge? or just a reservation needed?

I'm sure this has been answered but I'll repeat: Only La Reserve and Privee have a cost. Polo, Toscana, Jacques and Red Ginger have no charge. You DO need a reservation (although sometimes you can luck out and arrive and there is a table available).

Thank you all in advance for any information you care to provide.

NYLady, I'm in NYC so feel free to contact me privately for more info if you wish.

Mura

Thanks all...

I think all these details are now becoming clear to me. We actually changed our sailing and will now be starting in Lima and finishing in New York, so I got the answer to one of my questions about excursions. The Passport price was different...to account for the differences in the opportunities.

I just can't wait to experience the ship!

Archived